My G6 is a lemon, what now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My G6 is a lemon, what now?

Well, I've taken my car back to the dealership for the 3rd time for the leaking sun roof. They told me whoever did the fix before me rerouted the hoses wrong and rigged it with just wire ties to hold the pipes in. They assured me it was fixed this time though. Sure enough, first rain storm since the fix, and I got wet seat belts. Now it wasn't that bad, definitely not like how the seatbelts were getting DRENCHED a couple weeks ago, but still. It's the 3rd time, and if it isn't fixed now, I don't think it will ever be fixed.

It sucks it has to happen, I love the car and how nobody else has it (At least the GTP version with the hammerhead spoiler) and I finally got that damn I pod adapter to work, but the car smells like shit and this is the type of problem that is never going to go away.

So what do I do know, the car is still under warranty. I have almost 19,000 miles on it and the cars just over a year old. What am I entitled to under the lemon law? Should I go to the dealership first and talk it out with them or go strictly to a lemon law lawyer and go through that way. My dad used to work at this dealership and knows a lot of people in the dealership so I might be able to work it out. I got all the paperwork and bill receipts from the 3 times it was brought in to be checked. Do I need any more proof, like do I have to videotape the water leaking out of the interior of the car?

What am I entitled under lemon laws? If there is a mileage or year limit, is that limit from the time when the problem first started or from the time that I claim lemon?

Will I be eligible for the new 100,000 mile warranty if GM gives me a new car?

Now the question is what do I do if they decide to work with me. Should I just get a new 2007 GTP, or do they have the sun roofs with the leak problems as well? Can I milk the lemon laws a little longer until the end of the summer and wait for the 2008 G6 GXP. How much is the GXP estimated to cost. I think as long as it's under $30k, I can afford it figuring I get matched for what I paid for the car (Just under $28k).

Any and all advice is appreciated
    2006 Pontiac G6 GTP
    Stock Silver 3.9L Coupe

"A bad day at racing is better then a good day at the office"

I don't know much about the rules of lemon cases, but I can comment about the 2007s. I haven't had any sunroof problems personally, and I've been in some heavy rainstorms. I have the panoramic as well. It is more likely though that I have just been lucky, as I don't think there were any design changes between years.

- Black/Black, Leather, Monsoon, Panoramic
    - Painted Headlights, 35% Tint, Silver Emblem Overlays
    - DS S3 Intake
    - CarDomain link: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2907956/1

Comment

I may be wrong, but I think you have to have more than 3 repairs to be declared a lemon. BTW, I have an 07 GTP coupe with sunroof and not a single issue so far.
      2007 Pontiac G6 GTP Coupe - A6, Granite Metallic on Ebony Leather - stock
      (sold)1998 Chevrolet Corvette
      (sold) 2001 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

Comment

i think it is 3 visits and no fix but it has to be a major problem if i remember right so it may not be lemoned. i would go and talk to the dealer. have them replace the whole of the drain tubes and the interior where it smells. or have them check and make sure there isnt a different leak somewhere. and if it is a lemon theyll give you a car of equal value to the one you have now. idr if its the value from when it was new or the current depreciated value. good luck

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
        Originally posted by snowmanG6
        you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Originally posted by PrimeGTP
          I don't know much about the rules of lemon cases, but I can comment about the 2007s. I haven't had any sunroof problems personally, and I've been in some heavy rainstorms. I have the panoramic as well. It is more likely though that I have just been lucky, as I don't think there were any design changes between years.
          I think the sunroof drain problem is just on the coupes

Comment

Originally posted by jnak
            Originally posted by PrimeGTP
            I think the sunroof drain problem is just on the coupes
            correct the problem is just on the coupes and only on the single pane sunroofs not the panos

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
            you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Well the coupes only come with single pane sunroofs.

Comment

this past week at my dads work, a girl had her G6 bought back under lemon law for a leaky sunroof.
                2006 G6 GT
                Debadged
                20% Window Tint
                Painted molded mudflaps
                DS Stage 4 CAI
                8000K VVME HIDs Low Beam Conversion
                Nokya Hyper yellow Fogs
                Painted Red Calipers

Comment

correction it could be/ was on the pano's too... i got one and it did leak not on the seat belts but on the back carpet on the drivers side seat it was soaked... but i got it fixed and we've had some hard rain storms lately and no leak anymore...
                  2010 Chevy Equinox Blue AWD LTZ
                  2005 Blue G6 GT Sedan - Traded In

Comment

The Lemon Law is different in every state. Some states are 3 repairs, others may be more.
                    -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

I've found resources

http://www.mylemon.com/NJ_Lemon_Law.htm

but no exact answers, that's why I was on the board here seeing if anybody else went through lemon law procedures.

The sunroof problems, it seems to be mostly the single pane roofs, but does that include the 2007 models? Do they leak too?
                      2006 Pontiac G6 GTP
                      Stock Silver 3.9L Coupe

"A bad day at racing is better then a good day at the office"

Comment

i think its just the 06's

Comment

Oh yeah, it sounds like your problem is an incompetent dealer. Try taking to to a different one.
                          2007 Pontiac G6 GTP Coupe - A6, Granite Metallic on Ebony Leather - stock
                          (sold)1998 Chevrolet Corvette
                          (sold) 2001 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

Comment

PM me if you want Lemon Law help, been there, done that.

its really more complicated than heart surgery, with much less results.

when you get to 6-7 times to the dealership, then you can talk
                            -Lucy-
                            2006 Silver Gt Coupe
                            3.5 l v6, alloy 17"s
                            sun and sound package, leather package.

Cardomain Site:
                            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2663987

Comment

I have an '07 gtp coupe w/sunroof and have had 0 problems (and i've been stuck in the middle of some RIDICULOUS downpours).
                              2007 G6 GTP Coupe 3.6 L VVT
                              - 6 Speed Automatic
                              - Premium Leather Package

Coming soon:
                              - Chrome lower grill inserts
                              - Spoiler

Comment

Working...
                              X