How To Change Door Speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Change Door Speakers

This is how I did my door speakers to an aftermarket set, this is a do at your own risk because you have to destroy the stock speakers to do it, at least thats the only way I seen to get it done!! Now if you were to order a set through like http://www.crutchfield.com they should supply the basket with them but I could be wrong. BTW the speaker is a 5.25 inch speaker and pretty much all of them should work, I got pair a while back when I got the car, just decided to acctually put them in beacause one of my stock speakers blew!

Here is a picture of the stock speaker and basket, the speaker is molded DIRECTLY to the basket so theres no way to remove the basket and speaker and not ruin the speaker!

First take your finger and get it under the foam on the basket, work your way around the basket in SMALL section to save the foam and not rip it to shreds! Now here comes the part where you have to ruin the stock speaker and once you start theres no turning back , take a razor blade and cut along the surround to seperate it from the basket (its the only way you can do it and save the basket)

Next use any cutting tool you'd like (I used a dremel with a cutting wheel) and cut the plastic the molded to the magnet (it wont be needed for the aftermarket speaker and theres no real way to use it anyways). The pic shows the locations of the plastic that needs to be removed.

Now you can lay your aftermarket speaker in the basket and screw it into place, like I said most should work just fine. The ones I had were acctually a little small for the opening but nothing noticable! Screw it in place and replace the stock foam that you took out (told you that keeping it would come in handy) I just used a little glue stick to make it tacky and put it back on.

I just spliced the wires using a wire connector that you screw instead of crimp (awsome and easy as hell). Now one thing that didnt seem to make aany sense to me but I felt as tho it should was that it didnt seem to matter what wire was connected to what wire. I dont have any distortion so I'm not complaining, and maybe I just got it right the first time haha
    Place the speaker back in the door and replace the panel and your good to go.

EDIT: Let me if know if theres something that I missed or something you might want to see on here in more detail
    Originally posted by Toyz
    Originally posted by simplyred
    what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
    As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

I was just pricing some speakers on Crutchfield, and yes they included some trim rings to install the new speakers, plus wire harnesses... So, it would be a little easier if buy the speakers from them...
    2006 G6 Sedan
    Stealth Gray Metallic
    20% Tint, Moonroof, Remote Start, 6 Disc CD, Power petals, Spoiler, Polk Audio Db5250 5.25" Front doors w/tweeters, Polk Audio Db690 6x9" Rear Deck Speakers

Comment

Yeah, I know it would be.. but I looked at it this way. I got those speakers dirty cheap, brand new off ebay. Even when I go to return the car when the smart buy is up (if I do) by then new speakers will be out and I wont want the old ones, and the dealership will never notice that I changed them and if they do.. thats something most dealerships wont mess with you on because it doesnt prevent them from selling the car!

Comment

Yeah, I know it would be.. but I looked at it this way. I got those speakers dirty cheap, brand new off ebay. Even when I go to return the car when the smart buy is up (if I do) by then new speakers will be out and I wont want the old ones, and the dealership will never notice that I changed them and if they do.. thats something most dealerships wont mess with you on because it doesnt prevent them from selling the car!
        I here you. Just letting others know, that they do include the trim rings. Plus right now, they are running some great deals.. Plus, according to Cructhfield, 6.5" will also fit....
        2006 G6 Sedan
        Stealth Gray Metallic
        20% Tint, Moonroof, Remote Start, 6 Disc CD, Power petals, Spoiler, Polk Audio Db5250 5.25" Front doors w/tweeters, Polk Audio Db690 6x9" Rear Deck Speakers

Comment

Probably with out the baskets or a larget basket. I'd stick with the 5.25 because they fit the grill of the door perfectly so theres no sound loss by it being covered by the door panel.. just my opinion on those! The hassle are the 6x9's if you call a customer service person theres like 2 that direct fit our cars. Something about mounting depth or the basket from the aftermarket speakers are to big... that is, if u want to use the stock grills so it looks normal

Comment

plus if you got bigger speakers it woudl prob be more likely to rattle something, cause it isnt comin out correctly

good write up, i still think there has to be a way to get that speaker out and save it

ill let you know if i find a way

Comment

you sid it is molded, but once you cut the lining, what did you do with what was left in basket?

could you heat the basket and unstick it?

Comment

Not really because the underside of the magnet is molded directly to the speaker.. its almost like they built the speaker inside the basket. The only way I can think of is to heat up the surround and it might loosen the glue and come off, but you still have the cut the plastic basket underneat the speaker to get the speaker out period.. so to me it was a lost cause

Comment

i should defn be able to take a look at the monsoon speakers friday, as im not on the desk all day now, ill get my camera and take some pics and post them up in here and the other thread that had some mention of this

Comment

^Ooo I'll be waitin' for that!
                    -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Cmon, someone rip out their monsoon speakers

Comment

If I think they don't sound right anymore after my sub is in, I'll have to change them.
                        -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

I'm looking to change mine eventually. Once it wears off that I think they sound good.

Side note, anyone have pictures of the factory amp?

Comment

that thing like seems to be a mystery to everyone haha!! Whats the definition of this "factory sub" because I've seen pictures of trunks and never seen a sub!! Not like the cobalts have which is a sub right in the trunk almost like the infinity basslink setup!

Comment

Yeah when I heard that I was like whatever... factory "sub" haha riiiight. But the monsoon is pretty sweet, sounds really good. One day I'll replace all the speakers. You wouldn't think by looking at the factory ones that they would sound good.

Comment

Working...
                              X