To anyone who has a automatic.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To anyone who has a automatic.

ok i am just checking to see if it is just me or not. which do you all think is faster the manual mode or automatic?
    2006 Black GTP Coupe, flowmaster exhaust 3" tips. soon Doctor Speed Stage 4 Intake.

i think manual is faster bc you cna keep it in lower gears longer

it also shifts faster in auto mode with traction control off. the dealer even confirmed this to me, bc when you floor it and it shifts from 1st to 2nd, it thnks about turning traction control on so your tires dont slip in between gears. i tried this and i def think it shifts smoother with TC off.
    -Mike #2 (the self-proclaimed tallest G6 owner)
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2645383

VMS ECM, GT-R Exhaust, Dr. Speed Stage 3 CAI, 35% Llumar Tint, Redline Hood Struts, Vent Visors,
    Pontiac Inset Upper Grilles #1, STB, Black Euro Tails, PowerSlot Rotors, Hawk Brake Pads

Comment

tapshift is quicker, also makes my intake sound sweeter
      -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Ya i will probably agree with you once i get my intake too.
        2006 Black GTP Coupe, flowmaster exhaust 3" tips. soon Doctor Speed Stage 4 Intake.

Comment

Definitely tapshift owns leaving it in Drive, the car shifts through the gears too fast in Drive which keeps the RPM's so low you can barely move. I constantly drive in Tap Shift mode so I can burn it from dead stops and listen to that intake!
          TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Does anyone know if using Tapshift constantly would wear out the transmission faster?
            -Mike #1

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Comment

i noticed from experience , that when racing (quatermile etc) leaving it in drive was better, since my car will shift right at redline in drive. shifting with the tap shift in racing is not that great, because when you hit the button to upshift, the trans doesnt shift exactly at that time, so if you are into it and close to the rev limiter, it will bounce off it before it shifts....around town the tap shift is nice though for holding gears longer.......and no it will not wear your tranny out any sooner...if anything it might prolong the tranny with manual shifting it.
              2006 malibu SS 3900 auto

Comment

Originally posted by GTPGuy82
                Does anyone know if using Tapshift constantly would wear out the transmission faster?

If your using it to make a natural shift, a shift that the tranny would have made on it's own any way, the answer would be no. If your making it shift over and over again just for the fun of it, the answer will be yes.

Evertime it shifts, your applying clutches and bands, causing friction (heat) plus these parts don't last for ever. Adding a shift kit, or electonically making it shift firmer will add life to the clutches and reduce some of the heat.

Comment

Originally posted by malibu SS
                  shifting with the tap shift in racing is not that great, because when you hit the button to upshift, the trans doesnt shift exactly at that time, so if you are into it and close to the rev limiter, it will bounce off it before it shifts....
                  yea but peak torque is at 2800RPMS, so you don't really wanna go higher than that because you'll start to lose momentum.

A transmission cooler would probably help to reduce the heat too, no?
                  -Mike #1

Comment

Originally posted by malibu SS
                    shifting with the tap shift in racing is not that great, because when you hit the button to upshift, the trans doesnt shift exactly at that time, so if you are into it and close to the rev limiter, it will bounce off it before it shifts....
                    yea but peak torque is at 2800RPMS, so you don't really wanna go higher than that because you'll start to lose momentum.

So your saying you dont want to go past 2800RPM when your racing?
                    2009 Panther Black G8 GT
                    334 WHP 347 WTQ

Comment

No, but you'll get to a faster speed quicker by shifting sooner.
                      -Mike #1

Comment

Absolutely. You won't find any real high performance or heavy duty vehicles that don't have one. Too much heat will shorten the life of any tranny.

Comment

Especially automatic trannys.
                          -Mike #1

Comment

I wish i had a tapshift
                            2005 G6 V6 in granite metallic, Kenwood DDX6019 touch screen DVD radio, 2 12" Kicker Solo-Baric L7s, Dynamat, Orion 2400 amp, Power Acoustik 4F cap, XBOX 360, Chrome window trim, Quicklift kit

Comment

is it just me or does anyone find it annoying how it automatically kicks into 1st gear once you are stopped or close to stopping. i just dont like it when im at a stop sign and it jerks forward when i give it some gas.

Comment

Working...
                              X