Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions for fabrication of schosche kit mount.??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for fabrication of schosche kit mount.??

Hi all,
    Well, I've finished installing my AVIC-D3 (pic below) and I want to fabricate a "pod" for the schosche kit above the center vents. I'm thinking of doing it out of fiberglass and wrapping it in vinyl. I'd be open to other suggestions if anyone has any. That or help with how to do it.

This is the first time I will have done something like this. So we'll see how it goes. the below mockup pic isn't my car, it was googled. but that's sortof what I'm going for. I'm also going to make a spot to mount the GPS receiver for the D3 on the top of the pod. the other pic is of my new install.

Thanks

Yeah that would be really sweet, I've actually thought about doing something like that but I haven't had the interest yet to replace my stereo yet. Vinyl would be ok, as it would almost match the texture if you got the right stuff the only hard part generally about it is getting it to wrap nicely. What you could do is get your dash trim colour matched and paint it that colour, then it would match the stock plastic instead of going for the dash. Of course that depends if you like that or not, some would rather match the dash.

Comment

I think it would look amazing. Good luck with that and put me down for one if you decide to mass produce. (I GOT A NEW JOB!!! MONEY FOR MODS!)

I LIKE!!!

Comment

I would SO buy this if you made it.

sigpic
        Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

That'd be hot man... do it!!!
          My Progression

Comment

Looks sweet, doesn't the 2gn Eclipse have a setup like that..?
            Mine - 2006 Black Grand Prix GXP

Comment

I have considered the same idea to house my GPS. I've never worked with fiberglass, so it's something I'm not likely to tackle soon.
              G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
              Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
              Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
              20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

lol. glad to see some interest.

I've been toying around with some ideas for doing the molding/fitment. I'd started last night with a base wire frame. but I think instead what I'm going to do is use plaster of paris. cover the center console in plastic wrap... mix up some plaster with strips of cotton. lay it down and let it dry. basically giving me a casting of the console as a base frame. then just do a simple wire frame and cover in allum. mesh. cover in fiberglass, then wrap in vinyl.

This might take some time though.

Comment

Definitely keep us posted b/c I have toyed with this idea too but I don't have the skills to accomplish this.

2007 Silver G6 GT Coupe (w/Hammerhead Spoiler)
                  SWO Member
                  Tinted Tails done by Chad (cbrenn71)

Comment

You have inspired me, when I get the time I am going to make a 3-d Model in solidworks and print it out on our 3-d printer (rapid prototyper). our 3-D printer makes parts in ABS that could then be sanded and painted or covered with some material. I wonder if you can get spray cans of the coting like is on the dash.

I also have access to a LASER scanner, if I could figure out a good way to get an impression of the current dash. I could scan it in for a base to build my Solidworks model from. hmmm a lot to think about.
                    2007 G6 GTP

Comment

Originally posted by 6-shooter
                      You have inspired me, when I get the time I am going to make a 3-d Model in solidworks and print it out on our 3-d printer (rapid prototyper). our 3-D printer makes parts in ABS that could then be sanded and painted or covered with some material. I wonder if you can get spray cans of the coting like is on the dash.

I also have access to a LASER scanner, if I could figure out a good way to get an impression of the current dash. I could scan it in for a base to build my Solidworks model from. hmmm a lot to think about.
                      You should be able to make a bunch of these and sell them to us! :P Let us know how this all turns out.

Comment

Originally posted by Sphinx
                        Originally posted by 6-shooter

You should be able to make a bunch of these and sell them to us! :P Let us know how this all turns out.
                        the 3-d printer is good for prototypes but at $25 a cubic inch of material it can get a bit pricey. but I will be happy to provide the Solidworks model to anyone interested after I get time to do it.
                        2007 G6 GTP

Comment

I only wish I had access to a prototyper. you could do a negative impression of the dash and scan that. same dif. just flip the normals on the 3d scan.

I'd decided to do a hand carved mold out of styrofoam (going to use the high density wall insulating foam). and then fiberglass and paint or vinyl.

a prototyped version would own mine. lol oh well. gives me something to do on the weekends.

you'd likely be able to make a negative vacuum mold from a prototype for mass production. but I don't know a whole lot about that either.

* what sortof work do you do with access to the scanner (I'd love to have one of these too) and a prototyper? looking for anyone that does 3D work? hah. I kid.

I hope to get a jump on it this weekend. there aren't enough hours in the day.

Comment

was your factory radio the the one with RDS? Im interested in an aftermarket radio, but im afraid to lose all the data. Also, I dont have that thing on my dash

Comment

What thing on your dash?
                              G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
                              Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
                              Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
                              20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

Working...
                              X