Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement Rear View Mirror

Looking for some feedback...
    I'm looking to get a auto dimming rearview mirror with a compass.
    Has anyone found any good aftermarket mirrors or maybe Pontiac\GM makes one for the GTP or GT that might work with my V6 Sedan?
    I found this on the web http://www.autoanything.com/products...=2074&kc=ff778 but I'm still looking around.
    Any input would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Jay
    '06-G6-V6

For now you might have to go with a universal one like that for the G6. I'm not sure if any other models by GM come with a mirror like that, because then you could use that one.
    -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Now, if I could find one like that but with also the LCD screen in it for a reverse camera *sigh*... it would be perfect. But that can't work given the mechanical move space inside needed.
      GNNR

Comment

Also the Equinox has an auto dim with compass mirror, should work inside... probably the pontiac version too.
        GNNR

Comment

my dad's '96 silverado had one with a compass, can't remember if it auto dims though. my '99 jimmy has one that auto dims but the compas is built into the carputer above it and not part of the mirror. i know that does absolutely no good, but that is my experience with autodimming/compass mirrors.

Comment

I know some people who've actually replaced their rear view mirror entirely with an LCD monitor hooked up to a rear view camera that was on all the time. Not very legal, but it looked pretty cool.
            -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Originally posted by GTPGuy82
              I know some people who've actually replaced their rear view mirror entirely with an LCD monitor hooked up to a rear view camera that was on all the time. Not very legal, but it looked pretty cool.
              hm, dont see why that wouldnt work..
              2005 G6 V6 in granite metallic, Kenwood DDX6019 touch screen DVD radio, 2 12" Kicker Solo-Baric L7s, Dynamat, Orion 2400 amp, Power Acoustik 4F cap, XBOX 360, Chrome window trim, Quicklift kit

Comment

That mirror you posted has the temp also-the temp is already on the DIC so it's kinda useless, same some money and find an auto dimmer with just the compass.
                TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Originally posted by LoJac963
                  That mirror you posted has the temp also-the temp is already on the DIC so it's kinda useless, same some money and find an auto dimmer with just the compass.
                  I knew that. I've been hunting around and I can't find one with just a compass. I could mount the sensor inside the cabin for an "internal" temperature.
                  Jay
                  '06-G6-V6

Comment

I thought the rearview mirror if you get OnStar had a compass built into it. Can anyone verify that? I was thinking of possibly using that mirror. I'm sure it'll cost a lot but I was also hoping that I wouldn't have to wire it. That brings me to another point. Those of you who have OnStar, is the wiring in the black strip that comes down from the head liner or are there actual wires?
                    Thanks.
                    Jay
                    '06-G6-V6

Comment

If the black strip is like in my GP it is actually a covering mesh to pretty up the wires coming out of the head liner and going into the mirror. I actually use the same stuff in PC modding, very common to get (and I used some to drop my DC line for my radar detector).
                      GNNR

Comment

Actually I was just outside checking it out and the black strip goes from the headliner to where the mirror mounts to the glass but I don't see (or feel) any wires or copper traces under or in it. Since my mirror doesn't require any power I guess there would not be a reason to have any wires but yet there is still this black patch on the glass.
                        I did take a closer look at the mounting and it looks like a torx screw holds the mirror in place. I also noticed a small cutout in the headliner in perfect allignment with where wires would go to the readview mirror (if required). And wire in nicely with the front interior lighting and power moon roof control I might add!
                        I think this weekend I'll try and pop-off the front headliner light\power sun roof control panel and see what I can see as far as wiring in there goes. Maybe there's already a connector for +12v for a mirror.
                        Jay
                        '06-G6-V6

Comment

Originally posted by jayco59
                          Actually I was just outside checking it out and the black strip goes from the headliner to where the mirror mounts to the glass but I don't see (or feel) any wires or copper traces under or in it. Since my mirror doesn't require any power I guess there would not be a reason to have any wires but yet there is still this black patch on the glass.
                          I did take a closer look at the mounting and it looks like a torx screw holds the mirror in place. I also noticed a small cutout in the headliner in perfect allignment with where wires would go to the readview mirror (if required). And wire in nicely with the front interior lighting and power moon roof control I might add!
                          I think this weekend I'll try and pop-off the front headliner light\power sun roof control panel and see what I can see as far as wiring in there goes. Maybe there's already a connector for +12v for a mirror.
                          Oh hell here we go again

:smoke:
                          2005 G6 V6 in granite metallic, Kenwood DDX6019 touch screen DVD radio, 2 12" Kicker Solo-Baric L7s, Dynamat, Orion 2400 amp, Power Acoustik 4F cap, XBOX 360, Chrome window trim, Quicklift kit

Comment

Oh hell here we go again
                            LOL what do you mean Teelo
                            TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

girl fight :warped:

Comment

Working...
                              X