battery relocation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• battery relocation

searched and didnt find anything, thinking about moving the battery to the trunk and just wondering if anyone else has done this and what all is involved, also would be nice to free up some engine space and perhaps move the intake around to that side
    custom 2.5” cat-back with magnaflow single in and out, alpine Type-R 12”, Alpine MRP m650

If the doc sees this, he may tell you what is involved, as he's done it.

That said, it's really not that hard to do, run some low gauge wire from the engine bay to the trunk. Hook the wire up to the positive of the battery. Ground the battery in the trunk. Ground the negative wire at the front of the car to the frame.

I'm not an expert at this, but that's how I'd do it.

sigpic
    Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

why do people do this??
      -Lucy-
      2006 Silver Gt Coupe
      3.5 l v6, alloy 17"s
      sun and sound package, leather package.

Cardomain Site:
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2663987

Comment

Originally posted by kgeier82
        why do people do this??
        A few reasons......

free up room under engine bay
        Project just to spend time with the car
        Some people like it as it more evenly disrtibutes the wieght in the car from hood to trunk as a batery can be 25 LBS
        2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
        Gotta have it Green color
        Brembo brake package
        420 HP 5.0L
        Ford Racing Power Pack
        GT500 track pack differential cover
        BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

Oh, you'll also need to secure the battery in the trunk. That's an important step.

sigpic
          Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

wouldn't this void your warranty?, and if your battery is in your trunk wouldn't you have to seal it in case of the acidic build-up, etc...

Appearance: Chrome Lower Grilles-Black Euro Tails-Red DupliColor Calipers-Red LED Dome/Map-Tint 15% All Around-4300K Fogs-8000K Lows-18" Black Konig Hotswaps-Pirelli PZero
            Performance: Stage 3/4 CAI-GTR Exhaust-VMS Tune
            Sound: 12" Kicker L7-Optima Redtop
            -Retrofit 2008 Radio Owner #3

Comment

Originally posted by kgeier82
              why do people do this??
              Considering the Arcadia SUV has the 3.6L(more HP) some of that power could come from a shorter intake tube.

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS T/C
              Black/Black coupe

Comment

I don't think you'd see any worthwhile gains, unless you were gonna put a turbo there.

And putting weight in the back of a FWD car can actually hurt performance.
                2006 Saturn ION Redline...slightly modded.

Comment

Wouldn't putting more weight in any car hurt performance?

Comment

i was just curious when i originally posted why people would do this.

now that i think of it, seems like a waste still, especally with our cars where the battery in fact is (inside that box).

performance gain? hehe, you guys are really searching for ways to make your 6s faster
                    -Lucy-
                    2006 Silver Gt Coupe
                    3.5 l v6, alloy 17"s
                    sun and sound package, leather package.

Cardomain Site:
                    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2663987

Comment

I can only see it for room reasons, I mean if you do it for weight than damn you are getting pretty anal about it. You should have just bought a faster car to begin with

Comment

could be done easily enough, an advantage could be you could get a much nicer sealed battery that is non-spillable like a Hawker PC1700 and put that in the back, then not only would you have room up front but you wouldn't have to worry about your battery going dead like you may with the acid spitter ac delcos
                        2007 Black on Black G6 Vert w/ 3.9 VVT

Comment

Originally posted by Hello
                          wouldn't this void your warranty?, and if your battery is in your trunk wouldn't you have to seal it in case of the acidic build-up, etc...
                          Prob need a box for the Battery, and would only void the battery manifacture warrinty. Its still a 72 month battery and if it fails before that GM will still covor it or at least pro rate it.
                          2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
                          Gotta have it Green color
                          Brembo brake package
                          420 HP 5.0L
                          Ford Racing Power Pack
                          GT500 track pack differential cover
                          BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

Originally posted by handyjoe
                            I don't think you'd see any worthwhile gains, unless you were gonna put a turbo there.

And putting weight in the back of a FWD car can actually hurt performance.
                            So a long ass tube version vs. an extremely short one isn't gonna help the quickness of airflow to the TB? every little bit counts.
                            2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS T/C
                            Black/Black coupe

Comment

It's also good if you have an amplifier in the trunk...No need to go through the firewall and across the car with the power wire.
                              -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Working...
                              X