In-dash GPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In-dash GPS

Anybody have one, or any pictures of one? I'm considering getting a GPS and I'm not sure what to get. I really don't want to mount one on my dash - that's like having a neon "steal me" sign. Im considering an in-dash mounted GPS from Best Buy, but I'm not sure it's possible with the G6 stock radio. Did any of you get the GPS with your car? If so, how does it mount?

are you considering a flip-out style GPS system? Or just the screen that fits in where the stock radio was?
    -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

mines a indash gps touchscreen from pioneer

Comment

as the AVIC-D2? that is what i was planning on getting for mine too, nice to see it fits in there beautifully. my buddy as an AVIC-D1 in his STi and i love it.

Comment

nice car lo...where did you get the headrest screens from?

Comment

Yeah, that's pretty much what I had in mind. But it has me a bit concerned. From the looks of it, did you have to completely remove the radio and replace it with the GPS? Or is the GPS in front of the radio and folds down if you need to use it? What was the cost of the GPS and how hard was it to install?

Comment

i dont think there is room to put it in front and still be flush like that

i would say he had to take out radio to put that in

Comment

Yeah, that's kinda what I thought. Don't think I could go without a radio.

Comment

Originally posted by joresnik
                  The key would be to get one that has a radio and nav together. But to get double din like that you would lose the DIC.
                  06 G6 GTP Black, Panoramic Sunroof, 3 Spoke Steering wheel, 6 Disc CD Player, Ebony Leather Seats, RED LED Interior Lights. 3rd brake light by http://www.grafxwerks.com, Running Mobil1

Comment

Originally posted by pk2000
                    The key would be to get one that has a radio and nav together. But to get double din like that you would lose the DIC.
                    I would also lose the CD changer, unless the GPS had that included as well.

I was looking at some smaller GPS's at Best Buy, and I am considering an alternative. With the mounting bracket, I should be able to mount it by the little opening in the dash just to the left of the shifter. With the extending swivel mount, I should be able to adjust it to make viewing it easy enough. But then I'll need to find a place to mount an MP3 player I'm thinking of buying. But I guess if I get an MP3 player, I really wouldn't need the CD changer anyway, so I could go with the in-dash.

Comment

Yeah for what you're looking to do you'd be a whole lot better off getting a double din aftermarket unit with nav, dvd, mp3, most have ipod interfaces, xm radio etc... Grantit you loose your DIC but it will look better than having a fuster cluck or things roaming around your interior at least that my opinion on it!
                      Originally posted by Toyz
                      Originally posted by simplyred
                      what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
                      As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

Originally posted by pk2000
                        I would also lose the CD changer, unless the GPS had that included as well.

I was looking at some smaller GPS's at Best Buy, and I am considering an alternative. With the mounting bracket, I should be able to mount it by the little opening in the dash just to the left of the shifter. With the extending swivel mount, I should be able to adjust it to make viewing it easy enough. But then I'll need to find a place to mount an MP3 player I'm thinking of buying. But I guess if I get an MP3 player, I really wouldn't need the CD changer anyway, so I could go with the in-dash.
                        Yes the thing with the Indash radio & nav units is they play MP3's as well. So the cd changer is not needed in reality. The problem stems from the stupid DIC being in the radio. As I do not like the look of the fold up units that are sold. I would like a in dash one myself; however this at the current time is not possible. As no company has been able to incorporate the DIC into these units. As well no one has come up with a way to move the DIC elsewheres.
                        06 G6 GTP Black, Panoramic Sunroof, 3 Spoke Steering wheel, 6 Disc CD Player, Ebony Leather Seats, RED LED Interior Lights. 3rd brake light by http://www.grafxwerks.com, Running Mobil1

Comment

Re: In-dash GPS

Anybody have one, or any pictures of one?

I have a portable one with a large screen. If i go on trips My gf usually is the one using it. I have a vent mount that i put it on so i can see while i'me driving. Plus i can remove it so no one can steal it, its not a permanant fixture and i can take it when i go hiking or fishing.

It really literally saved my life last winter to have it with the topo maps. Icey roads through the mountains with no shoulders, you can really know what's ahead without really needing to break.

If you get it, get Garmin, they are really good at this kind of stuff. Also watch the antennae make sure it has a helix antennae or better, the in-chip ones don't go through the roof of certain cars too well.
                          Canadian 2006 G6 GT Coupe, Black Leather, 8-spkr Monsoon, 17" chrome rims, SolarGuard HP Charcoal 22%, Trunk protector & roll carpet, Silver tire valve covers and a driver with a .

Comment

The responses to this post kinda surprises me. Apparently nobody got the GPS option with their car. Maybe I'll need to go to a Pontiac dealer and see if they have a car with the GPS so I can see what the factory model is like.

Comment

I dont think GPS was offered in this car, onstar would be about the only thing!
                              Originally posted by Toyz
                              Originally posted by simplyred
                              what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
                              As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

Working...
                              X