3.6 LY7 owners - I have a couple of questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.6 LY7 owners - I have a couple of questions

I love my 3.6 in my XR Aura, it's very fast. It is also the first car I drove that I can feel a difference in power between running 87 octane and 93 octane.

But, I can't get rid of that slight stumble at idle. From the Saturn forums, it seems to be a common problem with Aura 3.6. If you are stopped at a light, you can feel a slight stumble/bump occassionally. I understand this is normal because of how lean the motor runs, but I know they fixed this issue in the CTS. Do G6 owners have this same problem?

Also, what oil filters do you guys use? I want to use the K&N HP1017, but I can't find it locally (even though it is the same filter the Vette uses). Summit has them for $9.99 each but I haven't ordered them yet.

My 3.9 does it too, and I've been told its a known problem with the pushrod design.

Mods: Vector 93 ECM/TCM, Addco prototype 7/8" rear sway bar, Powerslot Cryo rotors, Hawk ceramic pads, Yokohama AVID W4S 245/45/18 on Cobalt SS/TC wheels, Pioneer DEH-P6900UB, Alpine PDX-1.600 pushing a 12" Kicker L7, Scosche DIC, Peripheral steering wheel control kit

Comment

Originally posted by wormhole
      My 3.9 does it too, and I've been told its a known problem with the pushrod design.
      cept the 3.6 isn't pushrod, is DOHC.
      Originally posted by colinpeddle
      They'll begin missing us soon. Once all the threads stay on topic thru 14 pages... oh they'll miss us, our wit and our insane ability to wander off topic so effortlessly. Some day, a g5er will stop and say

Go tell the G6ers, passerby,
      That here, by G6er law, we lie
      Stranger, tell the G6ers that we behaved as they would wish us to, and are buried here.
      THIS IS G6PERFORMANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KJHLKAJDHLKJHLKAAHHHHHHHHHHHH<- battle cry.

Comment

ya mine does it too, its not bad - so i don't think anything of it.

you feel a power difference? I think it's all in your head.

I used Mobil 1 oil filter its like 12 bucks with tax for it at Autozone around here.

How much oil do you put in yours? manual says 5.5 quarts and thats way to much!
        2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS T/C
        Black/Black coupe

Comment

I've been having the oil changed at the dealer because I cannot find a filter for the car except for STP/Frams, and I will never use a Fram-based filter.

AZ by me don't have a Mobil 1 filters for the 3.6 . They only have the STP. While I understand the AC Delco is a good filter, I can only find them at the dealer.

Comment

Originally posted by carsuperfreak
            cept the 3.6 isn't pushrod, is DOHC.
            Ah. Well now I feel stupid, heh.

Mods: Vector 93 ECM/TCM, Addco prototype 7/8" rear sway bar, Powerslot Cryo rotors, Hawk ceramic pads, Yokohama AVID W4S 245/45/18 on Cobalt SS/TC wheels, Pioneer DEH-P6900UB, Alpine PDX-1.600 pushing a 12" Kicker L7, Scosche DIC, Peripheral steering wheel control kit

Comment

Im going with the 93 octane deal is all in your head as well. To get max performance out of an engine, you want to run the lowest octane that you can without pinging. The 3.6 is designed for 87 fuel, so its your best bet unless you get an aftermarket tune that is programmed for 93. I come from driving LS1 cars for the past 5 years, and they are recommended from the factory to run 91+ fuel, but they have alternate configurations for lower octane. Those are the only kinds of cars that you will need to run higher than 87 in.
              2007 Pontiac G6 GTP Coupe - A6, Granite Metallic on Ebony Leather - stock
              (sold)1998 Chevrolet Corvette
              (sold) 2001 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

Comment

Why don't you buy the filters at the dealer? I usually buy six at a time and they give me the fleet rate. Ends up costing less than what it would at Wal-mart.

Comment

my 3.5L does it too.

running mobil 1 syn, & normal oil
                  -Lucy-
                  2006 Silver Gt Coupe
                  3.5 l v6, alloy 17"s
                  sun and sound package, leather package.

Cardomain Site:
                  http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2663987

Comment

I haven't experienced any idle problems with my 3.6L as of yet. And you don't get more power running 93 octane on an 87 octane tune

- Black/Black, Leather, Monsoon, Panoramic
                    - Painted Headlights, 35% Tint, Silver Emblem Overlays
                    - DS S3 Intake
                    - CarDomain link: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2907956/1

Comment

Working...
                    X