Question about headlight disassembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about headlight disassembly

I've run a search and didn't think I had found anything. What the best way to strip the old butyl rubber off the headlight asseblies? I have pulled apart the first one with no problem, heat gun DOES do wonders!!! Now, how do I pull out the old before laying the new bead of butyl rubber in. Picked up some new from Nissan today. Trying to make sure I do this right.

dont pull off the old stuff - no need too. I just added like little thin strips around the inside edges just to make sure. but keep that old stuff there. I know for sure Lojac did this also, and i'm sure others left the old stuff in.
    2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS T/C
    Black/Black coupe

Comment

Originally posted by jerrodmann
      dont pull off the old stuff - no need too. I just added like little thin strips around the inside edges just to make sure. but keep that old stuff there. I know for sure Lojac did this also, and i'm sure others left the old stuff in.
      Thanks, got a lot off the actual clear lens part of the first one, looked like the nightmare was going to be the inside edges. Your answer is exactly what I wanted to hear.
      Hoping to disassemble the other side tomorrow (disassembly with the heat gun really only took about 10-15 minutes tops.)
      Just have to get some work done tonight now to pay for playing. Hope to take care of the painting tomorrow/Wednesday to be able to put them in the car Thursday to try out of town this weekend.

Comment

Really? I thought to get the best seal you're supposed to strip everything off as best as you can. Unless that's just with silicone sealant?
        -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

I left my old butyl rubber on and added a little bit more to it just be safe, I've washed my car a bunch of times, and a couple dayts of solid rain - no issues. Remember silicone is bad........
          Black/Black coupe

Comment

Originally posted by jerrodmann
            I left my old butyl rubber on and added a little bit more to it just be safe, I've washed my car a bunch of times, and a couple dayts of solid rain - no issues. Remember silicone is bad........
            Oh I definitely remember y'all saying that. I spent most of this morning calling different Nissan dealerships till I finally found the butyl rubber. Funny, the Nissan dealerships said they were having to stock the butyl because so many Altimas are having problems with leaking headlights.

Comment

So are dealerships the only places where you can get this stuff? I haven't seen it in stores.
              -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

yeah the dealerships are about it unless you want to order some online. Luckily my dad has been in the window business his whole life so I have a 25 foot roll of the shit. As for stripping off the old stuff-no you don't have to waste your time, just put the new on top of the old. With the heat they will just become one anyways.
                TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

i brought some off of eBay for like 12 bucks, HUGE roll. I used probably used a 2 inch long by an 1 inch wide strip - you definitely don't need alot.
                  Black/Black coupe

Comment

Originally posted by GTPGuy82
                    So are dealerships the only places where you can get this stuff? I haven't seen it in stores.
                    Napa should sell this stuff... not sure how it comes (I want to say tubes for like a calking gun) but I know they sell it. Should be right near the body filler and autobody materials!
                    Originally posted by Toyz
                    Originally posted by simplyred
                    what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
                    As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

I want to say the stuff in the tubes has to be heated though for it to flow, the roll of it would be much easier.
                      TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Yup, I found the roll. Going to lay the bead in, heat to get soft, then put the lens back on.

Comment

Working...
                        X