2011 G6 RWD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 G6 RWD

The next-generation Pontiac G6 will arrive earlier than expected, according to a new report. Based on GM's Alpha rear-wheel-drive platform for midsize cars, the new G6 should show up for the 2011 model year in late 2010.

A recent report indicated the Alpha-based G6 might not arrive until 2013, but this latest information from Edmunds indicates the G6 will be the first car to use the new architecture.

A successor to the front-drive Cadillac BLS will arrive a few months later, in early 2011, the report claims. Priced below the Cadillac CTS, the new BLS will be sold in North America, and should start in the high $20,000s.

For the 2012 model year, Saturn will also get a new Alpha-based car. It will be offered in addition to the front-wheel-drive Aura, rather than as a replacement.

Of course, many of GM's midsize cars will remain front-wheel-drive. The next Malibu will transition to the Epison 2 platform in late 2010, and the next Buick LaCrosse will also make use of the architecture, albeit a year earlier. Saab's next 9-5 and 9-3 will also be Epsilon-2 based, the report says.

GM is believed to have previewed its Alpha platform with the Holden Torana concept (pictured) in 2004. Given the close relationship between GM Australia's Holden and America's Pontiac division, the next G6 will probably have a close counterpart at Holden.
    -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Just enough time for me to consider it. MY2011 is probably when I will be in the market for a new car. Most likely a G8 or this RWD G6.

- Black/Black, Leather, Monsoon, Panoramic
    - Painted Headlights, 35% Tint, Silver Emblem Overlays
    - DS S3 Intake
    - CarDomain link: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2907956/1

Comment

If this is true (I said IF) then the RWD G6 would come out just in time to be a retirement present to myself ...
      (Rev) Greg :: 2006 Fusion Orange GTP Coupe auto - 35% tint - MPD hood - Razzi wing- Dr. Speed CAB - GTR exhaust - GM STB - caliper paint/decals - mesh lower grilles - more to come

Comment

sounds awesome but I wonder what the 6 would be looking at engine wise
        TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

They put a 3900 back in and you just might see me move back to the light side

Mods: Vector 93 ECM/TCM, Addco prototype 7/8" rear sway bar, Powerslot Cryo rotors, Hawk ceramic pads, Yokohama AVID W4S 245/45/18 on Cobalt SS/TC wheels, Pioneer DEH-P6900UB, Alpine PDX-1.600 pushing a 12" Kicker L7, Scosche DIC, Peripheral steering wheel control kit

Comment

3.6L V6 sounds probable. GM is in the process of phasing out the 3.9L.
            <-- Gray G6? Click!
            2006 G6 SE V6 3.5L Sedan "Sharon", Stealth Gray Metallic, 1SA+CF5+PCM+PDX - Sold but will not be forgotten... will always have a special place in my heart.
            2006 Solstice 2.4L I4 "Kristin", Shadow Gray Metallic, 1SA+JL9+G80+PCQ+ZQ2+ZQ3
            Life moves fast, don't miss a thing.

Comment

Yea, I highly doubt we will be seeing the 3.9L in upcoming V6 models. Out of the current "high value" engines, I think the LZ4 3.5L will be the only one to hold out for a while longer. It's an inexpensive base V6 that's slightly more fuel efficient than the 3.6L. As for upper trim V6s and V6 base models of performance vehicles, the 3.6L and 3.6L DI will be where GM goes for a while. Just my predictions.

- DS S3 Intake

Comment

I'm so confused. Why would GM have even bothered with the 3.9l if it was only to be used for a couple of years. I just don't see how they're going to get a decent return on their investment.

sigpic
                Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

I agree, it is incredibly confusing. The only real gain I see from the investment in the 3.9L is that it spawned the new 3.5L which will probably go on for a while. As nice as the 3.9L is, from a business sense it appears to have been a mistake. I think they thought it was going to be cheaper to build than the 3.6L, but other factors outweighed that advantage.

- DS S3 Intake

Comment

Actually, now that I've thought about it for a few minutes, it's probably because the 3.9 isn't very fuel efficient.

sigpic
                    Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

Psh, my 18 city 26 highway is just fine thanks

Mods: Vector 93 ECM/TCM, Addco prototype 7/8" rear sway bar, Powerslot Cryo rotors, Hawk ceramic pads, Yokohama AVID W4S 245/45/18 on Cobalt SS/TC wheels, Pioneer DEH-P6900UB, Alpine PDX-1.600 pushing a 12" Kicker L7, Scosche DIC, Peripheral steering wheel control kit

Comment

Only way I see the 3900 sticking around relistiacally is they need to give it a better trany such as a 5spd or 6spd automatic.

Part of the reson why the 3900 was designed from what I heard (not fact) was to take the presure off of the 3.6L as the 3.6L was falling behind on engine production. Hints why the 06 GTP was 3900 because for some reason the 3.6L surplus wasnt plentiful enough to fill need wanted. Then in 07 became plentiful enough to be replaced by the 3.6L. Unfortianlly for the 3900 is "poor" MPG is going to put it under. Unless somehow a merical pulls out and the Camaro V6 comes with the 3900 and not the 3.6L its a done motor.

Advantage the 3900 has, its cost effective for GM to make to throw into cars for power and not spend alot of money. But the 3.6L has power and MPG that people want more.
                        2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
                        Gotta have it Green color
                        Brembo brake package
                        420 HP 5.0L
                        Ford Racing Power Pack
                        GT500 track pack differential cover
                        BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

I agree that the fuel efficiency is probably what will accelerate the 3900's death. 3.6L production is expanding well now, so I don't believe it will find its way into the Camaro, but anything is possible at this point.

- DS S3 Intake

Comment

Originally posted by PrimeGTP
                            I agree that the fuel efficiency is probably what will accelerate the 3900's death. 3.6L production is expanding well now, so I don't believe it will find its way into the Camaro, but anything is possible at this point.
                            If you're talking Camaro, here are the engines it's getting (according to a friend of mine):

3.6L V6
                            3.6L V6 DI
                            6.2L V8 (the one in the 2008 Corvette)
                            and some mentions on it might get the 6.2L Supercharged V8 going into the 2009 CTS-V
                            <-- Gray G6? Click!
                            2006 G6 SE V6 3.5L Sedan "Sharon", Stealth Gray Metallic, 1SA+CF5+PCM+PDX - Sold but will not be forgotten... will always have a special place in my heart.
                            2006 Solstice 2.4L I4 "Kristin", Shadow Gray Metallic, 1SA+JL9+G80+PCQ+ZQ2+ZQ3
                            Life moves fast, don't miss a thing.

Comment

Both V6s? That seems kinda odd.

- DS S3 Intake

Comment

Working...
                              X