Trunk Key Hole Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trunk Key Hole Options

Just wondering if there are many options for my trunk key hole to make it look better after removal of the emblems. My car is the Granite Grey (yep... hence my user name) and the key hole is chrome -- I think it's the only chrome on the outside of the car after the emblems are removed.

1. My first choice is to remove the key hole and get the trunk re-finished with no hole at all. However, that's likely too expensive for such a minor visual modification.

2. Next option would be to install a black-anodized key hole in place of the chrome one. This could look OK, but I don't know if GM makes such a piece.

3. Painting the key hole might work, but getting it to stay looking good might be difficult with the chrome. Plus, it likely make the key hole unusable - and I know if I leave it there, someone is gonna try using it even though I have the key fob trunk release.

Are there any other ideas out there?

Does anyone know if theres a GM keyed lock for my second option?

Take Care,
    GraniteGrey.

PS: I wasn't sure if this is an "uncategorized" or "appearance" modification... Hopefully a mod will move it to the right forum if I picked the wrong one.
    Trust me, I'm a professional!

Chrome

I just realized that I've got the chrome around the upper front grills, and of course the headlights. Still be nice to make the trunk key hole disappear though.

Comment

I painted mine. I never use the key. It makes a big difference - after you debadge the lock looks like a zit on a sexy ass so painting it helped a lot.

Comment

i think removing the key hole wouldb e the nicest way to get rid of it. It wouldnt be too costly if you do it yourself, just a tube of bondo, some sanding, a couple cans of primer and some factory match paint....in my case i could use just a regular black...which is cheaper....but you can't buy many granite grey paints lol

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2557626
        2 Time ROTM Champion =P

Comment

you could put a back up video camera there..

http://www.12vp.com/item_table_backup_camera.htm

Comment

Yea... the paint is actually a metallic-type, so it needs to be applied correctly. If I went with the complete removal method, then I'd be taking it to a shop to get it painted properly. Even then I'd probably not get an exact colour match.

Comment

Originally posted by ratskat
              you could put a back up video camera there..

http://www.12vp.com/item_table_backup_camera.htm

That's an idea... but I already have sonic back-up sensors in my bumper, so I don't really need the camera in my case.

Comment

^where did you get those from? I've seen them around but never had the courage to give them a try.
                TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

LoJac,

I assume you're talking about my back-up sensors.

They were installed by the dealer prior to my purchasing the car. It was previously driven by the salesman at the dealership, and so I don't know much more.

It has four levels of distance sensing...

1) short beep = 4 to 6 feet
                  2) fast beep = 2 to 4 feet
                  3) constant = 0 to 2 feet
                  4) crunch = 0 feet, 0 inches

Comment

Just do a rear view back up camera... thats what I have
                    sigpic
                    GT-R Exhaust. GM Strut tower bar painted Red. Double 5% tint on back. Custom Compitition Alpine stereo. Double din Alpine IVA-W505. Red LED interior lighting. HammerHead spoiler. Halos, Strobes. Super White 9 LED bulb reverse lights, Super white LED interior lights. Red painted Calipers. Racingline Performance Grounding Kit. AIT full body kit. Canuck Motorsports Lowering springs.

Comment

Originally posted by GraniteGrey
                      LoJac,

I assume you're talking about my back-up sensors.

They were installed by the dealer prior to my purchasing the car. It was previously driven by the salesman at the dealership, and so I don't know much more.

It has four levels of distance sensing...

1) short beep = 4 to 6 feet
                      2) fast beep = 2 to 4 feet
                      3) constant = 0 to 2 feet
                      4) crunch = 0 feet, 0 inches

CRUNCH !

Comment

where did they actually install the sensors, I've seen kits around the net and I was thinking about putting them in my car but I wasn't sure how good it would look. If you have any pics that would be awesome to get them posted up!
                        TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Painted mine. But with black, that's much easier

-Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

I am trying to find them, but back when I was on clubgp.com there were these paintable keyhole covers. They were stuck on with kinda a 3M type sticky. They covered up nicely and looked pretty good. The best part about them is it would keep people from using your keyhole, and if you have to use the keyhole you can get the cover off. I will try to find them and post some pictures.

Comment

a long time ago we found the plugs I think you're talking about but I have no clue what the site was for them.

Comment

Working...
                              X