Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have good LED solder instruction sites?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have good LED solder instruction sites?

Hey, I am toying with changing my interior lights to LED's and I was wondering if you had any sites that I could read to learn up on what I am doing. I dont have any experience with this stuff. Even if it doesnt help me accomplish my goal, I would still like to get some information toward it.

I want to change all the interior lighting to blue and the gauge cluster to white with blue needles (yes, I am stealing from that one guy.)

Thanks in advance

If you know how to sodier, all you have to do to LEDs is have that heat sink clipy thing on it while sodiering to keep the heat down to the LED.

If you dont know how to sodier, its easy but make sure you practice first You dont want what they call "cold sodier joints" as then it wont work at all.

If I come across a site I'll post it, just go to Yahoo and do a search and am sure sites will come up
    2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
    Gotta have it Green color
    Brembo brake package
    420 HP 5.0L
    Ford Racing Power Pack
    GT500 track pack differential cover
    BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

I agree, not sure of an actuall site to teach you how to solder, I just taught myself by doing and I'm pretty damn good now. Like Dre mentioned either Google or Yahoo soldering and you should be able to find something. Also pick up a decent soldering gun with a fine tip for those badboys.
      TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

yea the only way to get good at soldering is to do it over and over and over again. you'd be better off starting with something bigger than LEDs though, because they're so small and you have limited room to work with.
        -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

^true, the micro LED's are fricken tiny-I'm not sure if you've ever seen them before but you almost need tweezers or something similar to handle them and the soldering is much more precise. If you have a Harbor Freight maybe check them out for a cheap soldering gun with interchangable tips.
          TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Trying to solder surface mount LED is extremely difficult, even for those who are very good at soldering. They are very very tiny, like the size of this line -- and no I'm not exaggerating.

Putting that aside, def practice on something else before you tackle it. Or you could always take it to a shop and have them do it, if that would make you more comfortable.

Comment

I saw those commercials about that cold solder gun. Has anyone tried that? I saw one at the Depot yesterday on clearance for $15.
              G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
              Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
              Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
              20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

I'm not sure about that cold solder iron, never used it. You can get a standard soldering iron at radioshack for pretty cheap, though.

If you're planning to use a pcb definitely get it with the solder mask. It makes it a million times easier.

Comment

No that thing is a piece of shit, don't buy it. Unless I was just cursed but I went through about 7 of them because the tips kept breaking. Fairly common issue anyways apparently.

Comment

I'm glad I didn't buy that one then. I almost did but ended up going with the good ol' reliable iron.

Comment

Originally posted by Interfire
                      No that thing is a piece of shit, don't buy it. Unless I was just cursed but I went through about 7 of them because the tips kept breaking. Fairly common issue anyways apparently.
                      That's what makes this site so great. Someone else goes through that pain so you don't have to. Thanks Troy.
                      G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
                      Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
                      Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
                      20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

Anytime!

When it did work though, you really could solder then immediately touch your finger... was pretty cool but yeah thing was garbage.

Comment

^yeah I wanted one for years and almost got a couple for Christmas one year until I found out they were pieces of shit

Comment

Originally posted by Interfire
                            Anytime!

When it did work though, you really could solder then immediately touch your finger... was pretty cool but yeah thing was garbage.
                            I would never had had the cajonhes to actually see if it was truely cool to the touch.

Comment

Neither did I, I tried it on a friend first.

Comment

Working...
                              X