lost third gear!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lost third gear!!!

06 4t65e in my malibu, in drive under normal driving it will shift first,second,fourth.if at highway speed(say 80mph) it will downshift under throttle from 4th to 2nd, due to the lack of third...in tap shift mode, it feels like 2nd still when im in third....i think the band burned up in the trans...going in this week for a new trans........just over 2000 miles..
    2006 malibu SS 3900 auto

Bummer, Dude. That sure is a short-lived tranny.
    2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 GT
    Forge Motorsports BPV
    CP-E Xcel Nano SRI
    HKS 3" Hi-Power CBE
    HyperTech Max Energy Tune

Comment

damn that sucks.
      -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

yea, but that is what the warrantee is for....i think that the trans might not be built to handle the power, of the 3900...but i will wait to see what actualy failed
        2006 malibu SS 3900 auto

Comment

Originally posted by malibu SS
          yea, but that is what the warrantee is for....i think that the trans might not be built to handle the power, of the 3900...but i will wait to see what actualy failed
          The 4T65E is supposed to be able to handle the power.
          2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 GT
          Forge Motorsports BPV
          CP-E Xcel Nano SRI
          HKS 3" Hi-Power CBE
          HyperTech Max Energy Tune

Comment

no third means that the gear sets are not locking into direct drive (3rd gear in a 4 speed auto is almost always a 1:1 ratio....engine speed equals driveshaft speed). the third sprag should be locked by the third clutch in both manual 3rd (setting the shifter to 3, or D) and overdrive 3rd (having it on OD and having the tranny shift itself into 3rd) in an automatic transmission. if you get no 3rd either manually or in OD but all your other gears work fine than the 3rd sprag is not locking either because the sprag itself is faulty and overruns in both directions or because the 3rd clutch is not applying to lock the sprag for 3rd gear. if it sounds complicated it really isn't. should be covered under warrantee if you don't plan on fixing it yourself.

Comment

yea, its either the sprag of the direct clutches, checked the 3rd accumulator piston, but the seals/piston were fine.....dropped it off today, they gave me a 06 CTS as a loaner...they said they dont know if they are replacing the tranny, or fixing the internals...they are still waiting to hear back from gm...could be up to 2 weeks to get the car back.....
              2006 malibu SS 3900 auto

Comment

two weeks? damn. at least you get a decent beater for the time being.

Comment

if you want to call it a beater...they gave you a Caddy!??
                  -Mike #1

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Comment

yea, its pretty nice, and rear wheel drive, but its much slower compared to the malibu..
                    2006 malibu SS 3900 auto

Comment

yea I'm surprised they didn't give you something like a cobalt lol
                      -Mike #1

Comment

yea, thats exactly what my wife said when i came home with the CTS, "i thought they would of gave you a Cobalt.." well...first she said"why do you have that...i told you no more new cars right now..." i wouldnt mind a CTS V THOUGH.......
                        2006 malibu SS 3900 auto

Comment

Originally posted by malibu SS
                          i wouldnt mind a CTS V THOUGH.......
                          hell yeah! :warped:

Keep us posted about the tranny.
                          2006 G6 GTP Coupe
                          :: Doctor Speed Turbo Kit ::
                          :: Decals by RK Vinyl :: <-- Check out the newly redesigned store!!
                          :: GT-R Exhaust ::

Comment

i will for sure!!!
                            2006 malibu SS 3900 auto

Comment

well, i talked to the service advisor...well he couldnt tell me much except that the third ger clutches were shot...i asked what they are going to do and they told me there going to put new clutches in...i told them not to, but gm told them too...they dont understand that SOMETHING ELSE caused the clutches to burn up!!!!! I KNOW ABOUT AUTO TRANNYS, i told him but they said they have to do what gm told them to do ..so i made some calls, lets see when they get back to me...i told them i want a new unit, that one of their techs hasnt taken apart!!!!
                              2006 malibu SS 3900 auto

Comment

Working...
                              X