Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How To:Add Radio Controls in 3-spoke steering wheel (2006)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To:Add Radio Controls in 3-spoke steering wheel (2006)

Introduction...

I will describe the process of installing the radio control switch in a '06 V6 G6 with a 6-CD changer. Please note I take no responsibility what so ever for any emissions or oversights that may cause harm to you or your car by following this How-To (My lawyer made me say that).

Over the next several days I will add in all the procedures and things I did to make this mod. Please note that I needed to modify the actual RC switch supplied by GM to make it work correctly in my car, you may or may not be required to make the same modifications to the actual switch but I just wanted to warn you up front as it was not an easy thing to do.

Note: RC - Radio Control, CC - Cruise Control

Note about existing wiring. The 2 wires that come from the radio that are needed exist only up to the "Clock Spring" or SIR coil in the steering wheel. The wiring from the SIR coil to the RC switch does not exist and you must buy (or make) the correct wiring harness. The only way I was able to get the harness (and the Bezel) was to get the complete N34 Steering Wheel Assemble. So, that's the only part you need to buy as it contains the Harness, RC switch and the RC Bezel.

Parts Required:

1 - N34 leather Steering wheel PN: 15294124. This is the only way I found to get all the pieces you need. I found this on the web for ~$135 shipped. http://www.1stpontiacparts.com/. The steering wheel assembly includes the wire harness, RC switch and RC Bezel (Plastic piece that holds the RC switch in place.

Here's a picture or the Steering Wheel Assembly...

To Be Continued...
    Jay
    '06-G6-V6

Continued...

Tools Required:

1 - Thin 3 to 4 inch dowel for removing the Air bag module.
    1 - Small to medium size Torx (Star) to remove\install the RC bezel.
    1 - Small flat blade screwdriver to help in the removal of the existing harness.

See picture...

Jay
    '06-G6-V6

Comment

Procedure

Procedure.

Before you start, remove the RC bezel and CC bezel from the new steering wheel assembly using the torx screw driver. This procedure considers the actual steering wheel as a throw-away.

Step 1: Remove Air bag module. See http://g6performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=431

Step 2: Remove the existing wire harness from your car. Note: If you haven't removed the negative terminal from the battery now would be a good time to do that or pull the Radio fuse and airbag module fuse.
      Using the small screwdriver lift\pry up the small plastic "locking latch" that holds the wire harness connector in place at the SIR coil. With the connector clip held up by the screwdriver, gently work the blue wire harness connector out of the SIR coil receptacle (I used the wires as a place to grab onto and pull from). I used a rocking left to right pulling motion to get the connector to come out. The SIR coil will feel like it's moving in and out and left and right but just keep working it, it will eventually come out. This is by far the most difficult part of the installation process. See image below...

Step 3 : Remove the existing right bezel and left (Cruise Control) bezel using the Torx screw driver. You should see a small torx screw at the inside bottom of the bezels. Also disconnect the horn connector.

You should now have the existing wire harness and bezels out of the steering wheel assembly.

Step 4: Remove the Cruise control switch from the existing harness.

Step 5: Connect the existing (or new) cruise control switch to the new harness and connect the new RC switch to the new harness. There is no way of confusing which connector goes where between the two switches as they are different sizes and can't be connected wrong.

Step 6: Place the new harness back into the steering wheel assembly in the car. Insert the blue wire harness SIR coil connector back into the SIR coil receptacle. You should hear a little "pop" when it is correctly back in place. Note: There is a specific keying to the connector so pay attention to aligning the connect up to the receptical. Because of the keying you can not possibly put it in wrong but I just want to make sure you don't try to push it in "upsidedown". Don't forget to reconnect the horn connector.

Step 7: Work the harness wires behind the steering wheel's metal plate (I'm not sure what it's actually called but you should know what I mean) to keep them safe and not interfere with the airbag module when you replace that. Screw the two bezels back in place using the torxs screwdriver.

Step 8: Reinsert the Airbag module and fuses. Put the key in the ignition and turn on the radio. Press the RC buttons and see what happens! You should have a working Radio Control.

NOTE: If the controls work but not as you would expect as indicated on the switch then you have to modify the switch. That's another level of detail that I can't get into right now but will if needed.
      Jay
      '06-G6-V6

Comment

Working...
      X