This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower grille mod - sharing materials?

I was looking at getting the lower grille mod, i.e. the three pieces adding chrome to it. I went to Canadian Tire today, they have this add on chrome kit for $14.99 with 6 meters in it. I doubt I need all 6 meters to do my grille, probably have enough to do another one or two.

Anyone in the area interested in splitting it? I can pass it on at the next meet.

In case anyone don't know which mod I'm talking about, this lower grille:

Sorry, beitodesstrafe, had to use your pic.
    <-- Gray G6? Click!
    2006 G6 SE V6 3.5L Sedan "Sharon", Stealth Gray Metallic, 1SA+CF5+PCM+PDX - Sold but will not be forgotten... will always have a special place in my heart.
    2006 Solstice 2.4L I4 "Kristin", Shadow Gray Metallic, 1SA+JL9+G80+PCQ+ZQ2+ZQ3
    Life moves fast, don't miss a thing.

That looks sharp on a dark car - wonder if it would show on my white car- although that area is black. I am interested

Comment

Sad to say I'm in engineering, my length estimates are really bad. I do have quite some chrome left, but there MIGHT not be enough to do a second one, running a bit short. I can bring the remains to the next meeting, though.

Anyways, here's what it looks like on my car:

<-- Gray G6? Click!
      2006 G6 SE V6 3.5L Sedan "Sharon", Stealth Gray Metallic, 1SA+CF5+PCM+PDX - Sold but will not be forgotten... will always have a special place in my heart.

Comment

I'd love to see it live - if I like it I would buy my own anyhow..what's it called again and what is the price?

Comment

Go to Cdn tire. Its in the automotive section, under door trim. Just ask for chrome door trim and they'll know what you mean.

Heheh @ the length estimates. I was going to say, I don't think 6 is enough to do anymore then 3 grilles. Anyway.

I think someone has them done with the chrome around the outer edge of the grill, I might try this next.

They look good btw. Nice and clean lookin'.
          The Present: 2010 Mazdaspeed3... Zoom Zoom

The Past: 06 G6 GTP Vert: Westers Tune - GT-R Exhaust - Doc's Stage3 CAI+ CRAB O4+K&N - GMPD Strut - RL Street Inserts - CMS Bespoke Vert Lowering Springs - Quicklifts - Enkei FN18's, N3000's 245/45y18 - 35% Tint Around - 4300k HIDs His & Los - Black Headlight bezels - Black Recessed Grills - Pooners Chrome Trim Blackout - Black Overlays on Darts - Avic f700bt

Comment

Originally posted by colinpeddle
            Go to Cdn tire. Its in the automotive section, under door trim. Just ask for chrome door trim and they'll know what you mean.

Heheh @ the length estimates. I was going to say, I don't think 6 is enough to do anymore then 3 grilles. Anyway.

I think someone has them done with the chrome around the outer edge of the grill, I might try this next.

They look good btw. Nice and clean lookin'.
            How is the staying power? I see you would use some rubbing alcohol before applying but I want to know how durable it is

Comment

Pretty sticky. So far it's pretty warm out there, no deforming as of yet.

Also, there's a specific one for grilles, It says 1/8 x 20 ft on it.

In the pic the really long chrome strip on the ground is how much I have left. Again I'll bring it to the meeting.
              <-- Gray G6? Click!

Comment

Just do it on a nice warm day, rubbing alcohol is a good idea just make sure to get it really clean then it will stay for quite a while. In fact the 'chrome' will start peeling long before they start falling off.

Comment

So you guys used strips of chrome? The only thing my local auto store had was chrome for door edges, so it had a lip that wrapped around the lower grill bars.
                  -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

I just did mine and I would say it takes about 20 inches for each strip of grill x 6 grills is about 120 in, so about 10 ft is needed, I bought wheel well trim that just sticks on and I have about half of it left, cost $13

Appearance: Chrome Lower Grilles-Black Euro Tails-Red DupliColor Calipers-Red LED Dome/Map-Tint 15% All Around-4300K Fogs-8000K Lows-18" Black Konig Hotswaps-Pirelli PZero
                    Performance: Stage 3/4 CAI-GTR Exhaust-VMS Tune
                    Sound: 12" Kicker L7-Optima Redtop
                    -Retrofit 2008 Radio Owner #3

Comment

We had those too, but those are a bit too thick for my taste. Those ones came in shorter formats (circa 5m instead of 6).

In fact, if I was cheap, I could've used a bit less under the front plate.
                      <-- Gray G6? Click!

Comment

I've seen both the 'tape' form and the regular ones that fit on the edge of a door. I'd prefer to use the trim though because it's an actual glue, whereas the tape is kinda just well like tape so I'm sure it wouldn't hold up as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ToniCipriani
                          We had those too, but those are a bit too thick for my taste. Those ones came in shorter formats (circa 5m instead of 6).

In fact, if I was cheap, I could've used a bit less under the front plate.
                          I just did the grills only, I would have bought the door trim but it didn't look like it had enough, only about half of what the wheel trim had, so instead of risking it I just bought the wheel trim. Does the door trim clip around the grills or have removable stick tape?, i would assume it just clips around it.

Appearance: Chrome Lower Grilles-Black Euro Tails-Red DupliColor Calipers-Red LED Dome/Map-Tint 15% All Around-4300K Fogs-8000K Lows-18" Black Konig Hotswaps-Pirelli PZero
                          Performance: Stage 3/4 CAI-GTR Exhaust-VMS Tune
                          Sound: 12" Kicker L7-Optima Redtop
                          -Retrofit 2008 Radio Owner #3

Comment

It fits over it so you could say it clips on there, in the groove there is glue that you just need to make contact for it to stick. No peeling anything off.

Comment

Mine had tape, didn't look closely at the others. But it seems like all of them have a "3M adhesive" thing on them, and the adhesive on mine was 3M.
                              <-- Gray G6? Click!

Comment

Working...
                              X