Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LED interior light upgrade too dim?

appoligizing in advance if anyone already posted this topic

if any of you have changed out your interior lights to LED's, have any of you had the issue of the lights just not being bright at all?

(backround)
    I originally bought some cheap LED lights from Pep Boys, in hyper white, and they are retardedly dim. (they couldn't light up cigarette if they were on fire dim.) and i'm just curious if they all will end up like that? or possibly is this issue exclusive to G6 map lights? not sure either way

any experiences you guys have had would be helpful

(wasn't sure if i should put this in the troubleshooting area because i'm not sure if i'm in trouble )
    2005 G6 GT - slapstick - stealth grey mettalic - Leather, panoramic, heated seats, , 17'' chromes, Hyper White LED map, dome, and plate lights, 30% tint, intake resonator removed, and all other options available for 2005 GT. ECE spec projector headlight retrofit coming next.

Making the world go round since "1981"

What kind of LED bulbs did you get? The ones with the single bulbs are way too dim. I have the ones with 4 LEDs and they're pretty bright. They also make some with more than 4.

4-LED bulbs
    -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

the one in there now are singles, but i ordered some like the ones above. they should arrive in a few days...
      2005 G6 GT - slapstick - stealth grey mettalic - Leather, panoramic, heated seats, , 17'' chromes, Hyper White LED map, dome, and plate lights, 30% tint, intake resonator removed, and all other options available for 2005 GT. ECE spec projector headlight retrofit coming next.

Comment

This is what I upgraded too, my 194's have 6 LED's in them, here they are:
        http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... gory=33713

As for my festoon bulbs in the dome light and trunk light they are 9 LED bulbs and here they are:
        http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5801713575

My interior LED's are very bright, mine are red so they're not meant to be brighter than regular bulbs but I like the feel of the red lighting like a cockpit. However I do have a white 9 LED festoon bulb in my trunk which is pretty bright.
        TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

^Those are the festoon bulbs that I have. You definitely need LED bulbs with more than one in them....one will not give out enough light.
          -Mike #1

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Comment

thanks for links, as i was wanting to change the lights...but of course since i asked how

probably change color up though

Comment

what size is that festoon bulb

Comment

welp the festoon bulbs are different because the interior dome lamp uses loop terminals so the size of the end caps doesn't matter as long at the length is right and it has loop terminals. For the trunk light it much be the 8.5 x 10 I believe it is-the measurements should be on those websites I posted. If you cant figure the sizes out just let me know and I'll measure them both.
                TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

ok will do, ill take a look at light and figure it out myself when i get the time..

Comment

good deal. i'm going hyper white. i have been hooked on that color ever since i rented a 2006 Cadilac DTS for my brothers wedding. took me forever to figure out that the purpleish lights in the dome set up were just white LED. thanks for the links i will need to by the festoon bulb soon as well.

so the same one that fits the dome will fit the trunk right? thanks

Comment

Well, technically. The one for the dome light will fit in the trunk, but the trunk light might not fit in the dome light if it doesn't have the little hooks on the sides to hook it onto the metal tabs in the domelight.
                      -Mike #1

Comment

can some one post pics of this would like to see
                        same with if any ones has changed there tail light bulbs to leds would like to see please post pics
                        My Best 1/4mile time 14.94 auto gtp

Comment

GTPGuy is correct the dome light has loop terminals where the terminals from the car contact the bulb-take your dome lamp apart and you will see this with the stock bulb-since the dome light uses loop terminals the end cap diameter does not matter.

However for the trunk light the end cap diameter DOES matter-is has to be 8.5 x 10 I believe as I've been saying since this post started because it is held in my the contacts from the car instead of loop terminals.

Comment

And be careful because certain LED bulbs require that you solder a small resistor to them or else they'll stay lit even when you think the light is off...
                            -Mike #1

Comment

^^so true, I tried a 15 and 22 ohm resistor and they both burned but the 22 didn't burn completely so I just left it in because it solved the problem. However now my map lights flicker occassionally because I think the resistor isn't working properly so I think tomorrow I'll be buying 30ohm and maybe a little higher to try those.

Comment

Working...
                              X