Getting a G6.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a G6.

So i am going to purchase a G6. I have the choice of a new 07 G6 Pretty much a basic model, nothing fancy(2.4 ect), or i can get an 06 GT in really good condition, with a couple extras but it has 33k miles on it. You guys know g6's, so which should i go with? i know its gonna be, "which would you prefer" but i like the 06 a little better but the 33k on it has me a bit iffy. Its certified so thats a plus. So any suggestions or input would be great.

ahh buy it new! there's nothing like an untouched car.
    -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Originally posted by GTPGuy82
      ahh buy it new! there's nothing like an untouched car.

The 06 would almost be out of warranty, right? At 36K miles.

Have you driven both? I have not drove an Ecotech, but if you dont mind a little less power, go with the new one.
      2006 Black GTP Sedan

Comment

its certified so i think it still has the 100k so im gonna check. And if it doesnt , we can get a 60k mile one..

Comment

well I can vouche for the ecotec, they are very very strong engines and work great in the 6. However if you want some more power and the piece of mind of a V6 then go with that. Here in AZ I HAD to get a V6 because the ecotec felt like it wanted to die with the AC on and it being 120 outside.
          TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

I say definitely go with the GT. It's only a year old and you save thousands by buying it used (remember depreciation sucks with this car especially the very first year). There is no comparison between the GT and the base model. The GT is much nicer and drives totally different. After a few years it doesn't matter whether the car is a 06 or 07 but with a GT you will still end up with a much better car instead of a stripper model.

Comment

If you like the '06, I'm sure you can find some that have less miles on them. BTW, not many cars are being sold right now, so towards the end of the month, you'll find someone willing to make a better deal for you.
              Even Toyota is running adds on TV discounting cars.
              G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
              Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
              Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
              20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

I wouldnt get the 2.4 basic myself...but hey thats just me.

I have 44k on mine and she runs strong as ever!
                Please consider supporting G6P -Tap here

MODS:
                Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
                WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

Comment

if you can get a longer warranty on the v6 go that route. ifyou cant.

skip the ecotec and keep looking. There are other cars out there.

i drove a 2.4 for a little over a week. the power was just not there compared to my coupe v6 gt. Another note, the gas mileage wasnt even that much better, 3 mpg max.

not worth it for what you get, to me at least.

look elsewhere
                  -Lucy-
                  2006 Silver Gt Coupe
                  3.5 l v6, alloy 17"s
                  sun and sound package, leather package.

Cardomain Site:
                  http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2663987

Comment

GooG,
                    Your profile does not tell us where you are located, but if you are near any large metropolitan area, there MUST be some 06, V6's, with WAY less miles than that. Go with the V6.

I think even the rental car agencies sell their cars with less than 33K miles.

Later,
                    Don ruckmn@comcast.net
                    2006 G6 GTP Convertible
                    2005 Ford Focus Wagon
                    1996 Dodge Viper RT/10

Comment

Keep shopping....
                      Mine - 2006 Black Grand Prix GXP

Comment

Louisiana

Im gonna keep looking...

Comment

Go new, without a doubt. Do you realize how many problems some of these G6s have. Just spend some time reading this forum. It looks like most of the bugs have been worked out by 07 but even if they haven't, you have the new car warranty.
                          Even if you have to go used from a cost standpoint go with an EcoTec. It's one of the best engines I have ever owned. I traded in a Olds Alero 6 Cylinder for the G6 and don't miss the 6 at all. My wife's car is a Lexus RX300 6 cylinder so I have some good benchmarks and I still prefer the EcoTec. I run my air all the time and the engine handles it just fine. Someone complained the EcoTec is only 3 mpg better than the 6. I will take 3 mpg anyday. Have you looked at the price of gas lately? You should also have some insurance cost savings.

Comment

Originally posted by mikey00
                            Go new, without a doubt. Do you realize how many problems some of these G6s have. Just spend some time reading this forum. It looks like most of the bugs have been worked out by 07 but even if they haven't, you have the new car warranty.
                            Even if you have to go used from a cost standpoint go with an EcoTec. It's one of the best engines I have ever owned. I traded in a Olds Alero 6 Cylinder for the G6 and don't miss the 6 at all. My wife's car is a Lexus RX300 6 cylinder so I have some good benchmarks and I still prefer the EcoTec. I run my air all the time and the engine handles it just fine. Someone complained the EcoTec is only 3 mpg better than the 6. I will take 3 mpg anyday. Have you looked at the price of gas lately? You should also have some insurance cost savings.
                            well a certified car will have a good warrenty. and 3mpg isnt going to be a biggie for me comming from my gas guzzeling 10mpg truck. I looked at KBB and it has some better cars in my area, so im gonna check them out.

Comment

Originally posted by mikey00
                              By far the 2005 models have the most problems (maybe because it's the first year for the G6). The I4 Ecotec engine have been upgraded and the V6 is new for 2007. The Ecotec is rough at high rpms but overall its quite a nice engine. But to give up so much power for just 3 mpg, to me it's not worth it even at today's ridiculous gas prices. Furthermore, the V6 is already not particular fuel efficient to begin with.

Comment

Working...
                              X