Running power wire through the firewall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running power wire through the firewall

I ran my power wire through the firewall on my '07 sedan today. It was similair to the amp install in the "how to section", but slightly different, so I thought I would post this.

What I found easiest to do was remove the knee panel and the lower kick panel from the driver side. Take them all the way out so you can get room to move and work under the dash.

After these are out you can see where the hood release cable goes through the firewall. Now, just to the upper left of that cable you can feel around behind the rubber matting in that area to where most of the interior wiring goes through a large grommet into the engine bay. Basically I just cut a large piece of that rubber matting out (because after you put the kick panel back you cant see it anyway) and made it super easy to reach up and feel the large bundle of wires and that large grommet with my fingers. I felt up in there with a utility blade, made an incision in the grommet, and easily ran the power wire through. This grommet is not hard at all. The consistency reminds me of a pair of nitrile gloves. Easy cut and easy to run the wire through.

Because this area is high up on the firewall I didn't see a need to seal the incision with silicone or anything else. I wouldn't think water getting in here would be a problem, If anybody feels differently about that, please let me know. And if you think pictures would help with this, I could try and work on that too.
    - 2007 Granite Metallic GT Sedan/ Black Leather w/ Sport package;
    -Alpine CDA-9883, Infinity Reference 6-1/2, Polk DB690, Alpine Mono sub amp, Polk 12" sub;
    -Dr. Speed Stage 2 intake;
    - PIAA H11 yellow fogs;
    - 6000K HID kit;

Re: Running power wire through the firewall

i know this was posted like a year ago but has anybody tried this???

i took apart my dash today in hopes of getting this done but the rubber piece that is supposed to be cut runs up the entire firewall. all of the interior wires go up into this rubber cover then i assume into the engine bay. but am i really supposed to slice up my interior that much? i know its covered by the lower dash but seriously? if anybody has pics of this i would really appreciate it, if not thanks anyway.
    Green G6s Need Lovin 2!

Comment

i installed it in the gromet as well. I did it the easiest way possible by just threading a clothes hanger that i had untwisted and attaching one end to my power cable and pulling the other end throw the firewall to the engine bay. Fast and easy that way.
      car name: Ricky Bobby, '06 G6 GT, painted air vents, debadged, two 10's and 800 watt amp, chrome foot pedals...more to come

Comment

did u just thread it through with all the other interior wires? does it come out that big hole in the firewall with all the other wires? just a little confused on how the wire is going to guide itself through the interior and firewall. thanks for any help.
        Green G6s Need Lovin 2!

Comment

I'm thinking about moving the battery to the trunk for weight distribution reasons but I need help! Could someone please post pics of running the wire through the car and firewall. This is all I really need. Thanks!
          sigpic
          Custom 93 Dyno Tune, Red Painted K&N Intake, GT-R Exhaust, CMS Springs, Racingline STB + Race MMI's, Sacchi S45 Black Wheels, Hankook Ventus V12 245/45ZR18, Delete Intake Resonator, Mobil 1, Red Calipers, Body Color Matched Headlights/Engine/Battery Covers/Interior Trim, Debadged, Tinted Tails, AIT Hood, ZZP Shift Kit, R1 Concepts Rotors + Pads, Summit Racing Trans Cooler, Denso Iridium Plugs, 30% Tint, Suede Upholstered Steering Wheel, Rear STB

Comment

Working...
          X