No announcement yet.

Anti-lock brakes just saved my life!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti-lock brakes just saved my life!!!

Well, I am driving down the road at ~50 mph. This road has a train track to my right just off the road. Well, I am approaching an intersection that has a school bus waiting to turn left (which would bring him in front of me if he were to pull out). I am watching him just to make sure he isn't going to pull out in front of me.

By this time I am only about a hundred feet away and what happens? You guessed it, the moron driving the bus pulls out right in front of me. Had this been a car, no problem just slow down a little and it will pass. However, remember that train track I was talking about? Well the school bus has to stop to make sure no trains are coming leaving most of the bus STILL IN MY PATH!!! There was another guy beside me so I had no where to go! I slam on the brakes as hard as I can, and the guy beside me just happens to get far enough ahead that I can swerve over so I do not hit the bus or the truck beside me. Thing is, the truck is still hard on his brakes even after we pass the bus, so know I am about to hit him and have to swerve back into my original lane!

All told, I missed the school bus on the right by about 2 feet, and the truck on my left by ~1 foot. Talk about threading the needle. I say the anti-locks saved me because if I did not have them, the brakes would have locked up and I would not have been able to turn, or to pump the brakes enough to keep slowing down and be able to turn to miss the two cars.

My heart was racing for a good 30 minutes after this ordeal. I have also decided that if the couple of year old tundra was slowing down faster than me, then I need some better brakes

I would have had to change my pants after that. I'm very glad everything turned out ok. Great driving!

Mods: Vector 93 ECM/TCM, Addco prototype 7/8" rear sway bar, Powerslot Cryo rotors, Hawk ceramic pads, Yokohama AVID W4S 245/45/18 on Cobalt SS/TC wheels, Pioneer DEH-P6900UB, Alpine PDX-1.600 pushing a 12" Kicker L7, Scosche DIC, Peripheral steering wheel control kit

Comment

i would call who ever and be like whoever drove this bus is a complete idiot and needs to be taken off the road

Comment

Originally posted by HotG6GTP
        i would call who ever and be like whoever drove this bus is a complete idiot and needs to be taken off the road
        I wanted to, but in my haste to miss the bus, I didn't get its number to be able to identify it

Comment

Nice save! Congrats on avoiding what would have been a severe accident.

sigpic
          Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

Holy crap! Glad to hear you made it out alive.

Stupid bus....

Comment

definitely wouldn't want to hit that bus!!!!
              TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Originally posted by LoJac963
                definitely wouldn't want to hit that bus!!!!
                No joke! As I was getting closer I couldn't help but realize that the bottom of the bus was just a bit higher than the hood of my car. Instant decapitation for tha loss!!!

Comment

Nice work... I probably would have shit my pants too..

Comment

glad you're okay
                    Originally posted by TLS2000
                    Fine. You're banned. Stupid redneck piece of shit!
                    http://www.cardomain.com/id/Amick
                    GTP: My list of mods got too long... just click the link

Comment

Originally posted by RxZ
                      I wanted to, but in my haste to miss the bus, I didn't get its number to be able to identify it
                      you shouldnt need it...if its a school bus, then they will know what driver it is when u say the streets you where at since they usually drive the same rout for a full school year....plus if there were kids in there u could really screw that lady over...(notice lady, guys dont drive like that lol)
                      what makes a decision right or wrong is what happens after that decision is made -Marv Levy

'07 GT coupe, black with black rolling on black(crome) The Original

Comment

uh-oh

Comment

Originally posted by Vandie
                          Originally posted by RxZ
                          you shouldnt need it...if its a school bus, then they will know what driver it is when u say the streets you where at since they usually drive the same rout for a full school year....plus if there were kids in there u could really screw that lady over...(notice lady, guys dont drive like that lol)
                          Normally I would agree with you, but unfortuanately I can't this time... On the other side of the train tracks is the school district's bus barn, ~1/2 of the buses in the district cross those tracks every day

Comment

Originally posted by RxZ
                            How did this become a gender thing? The guy was almost in an accident because of "someones" carelessness and the first thing you can think about is - the driver must have been female.

Anyone that has to turn it into a gender issue has issues.

RXZ I am glad you were able to avoid the accident - sounds like you drove with skill -

Comment

Originally posted by ratskat
                              Originally posted by RxZ
                              How did this become a gender thing? The guy was almost in an accident because of "someones" carelessness and the first thing you can think about is - the driver must have been female.

Anyone that has to turn it into a gender issue has issues.

RXZ I am glad you were able to avoid the accident - sounds like you drove with skill -
                              anyone who cries and cant take a joke has issues....wow settle down all-star
                              what makes a decision right or wrong is what happens after that decision is made -Marv Levy

'07 GT coupe, black with black rolling on black(crome) The Original

Comment

Working...
                              X