Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leather Steering Wheels

I am sure this question has been asked.

Can you swap a non leather non radio control steering with a leather wrap steering wheel? If not is it possible to just swap wheels and put the regular non radio controls parts into a leather wheel?

I have a line on OEM leather wheels for a good price so I want to do it if possible. I can get more if anyone is interested let me know and I can shoot you the link.

You can do this easily. If you have a leather wrapped G6 wheel all you need to do is remove your airbag, remove the wheel, replace with the leather wheel, replace the airbag. Pretty simple.
    '05 Black G6 GT, Axxess XM Direct Upgrade, Steering Wheel Swap, 6000k HID conversion, 18" GTP Wheels Chromed

Comment

Originally posted by darcal
      You can do this easily. If you have a leather wrapped G6 wheel all you need to do is remove your airbag, remove the wheel, replace with the leather wheel, replace the airbag. Pretty simple.
      Hmm... why would you want to do that when you have a leather wrapped wheel already?

Anyways, it's been done, as long as you have the same wiring harness inside both wheels. I heard some wheels without the audio controls have different harnesses.
      <-- Gray G6? Click!
      2006 G6 SE V6 3.5L Sedan "Sharon", Stealth Gray Metallic, 1SA+CF5+PCM+PDX - Sold but will not be forgotten... will always have a special place in my heart.
      2006 Solstice 2.4L I4 "Kristin", Shadow Gray Metallic, 1SA+JL9+G80+PCQ+ZQ2+ZQ3
      Life moves fast, don't miss a thing.

Comment

Oops ok I see how that could've sounded confusing. I was refering to as if he purchased a leather wheel and had it in hand ready to swap it with the non-leather one.
        '05 Black G6 GT, Axxess XM Direct Upgrade, Steering Wheel Swap, 6000k HID conversion, 18" GTP Wheels Chromed

Comment

I went from a non-leather w/o accessory to leather w/ accessory, I know darcal did too. There's all kinds of stuff in the forum from how-to's to straight up wiring diagrams... what cipriani is refering to is the molex harness. Mine went on without a hitch, minus some button reconfigs... If you search through the forum you can find out what kind of problems you could run into and make an assessment from there.... but yeah it's been done by a good number of people...

Comment

how hard is it to remove the airbag? sounds hard and something that souldent be messed with. not worth the risk to me or am I over reacting?
            ....................................... Foreverpontiac.com offical friend of G6P.com......................................
            .................................................. .. Progression & Pics thread .................................................. ..

Comment

Originally posted by jedi3
              how hard is it to remove the airbag? sounds hard and something that souldent be messed with. not worth the risk to me or am I over reacting?
              Depends on whether you have a 3 spoke wheel or a 4.
              How To:
              http://g6performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=431

I think it's very important to state that if you do NOT feel comfortable doing it, you should NOT attempt it. If you feel comfortable doing it proceed at your own risk. It IS a potentially EXTREMELY dangerous operation if the proper safeguards are not in place, ie ESD protections etc., and if the device itself is not treated with respect. That being said, funny how it is pointed at your face every time you drive your car

The bezels can be interchanged. The following how to actually utilizes that approach and I see no reason why it wouldnt work going from acc bezel to a blank bezel.
              How-To add acc controls to stearing wheel
              http://g6performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=943

Comment

Originally posted by LZ9Ignition
                I went from a non-leather w/o accessory to leather w/ accessory, I know darcal did too. There's all kinds of stuff in the forum from how-to's to straight up wiring diagrams... what cipriani is refering to is the molex harness. Mine went on without a hitch, minus some button reconfigs... If you search through the forum you can find out what kind of problems you could run into and make an assessment from there.... but yeah it's been done by a good number of people...
                Actually my deal was I went from 4-spoke leather w/ radio controls to 3-spoke leather w/ radio controls.

As far as the ease of removing the airbag, believe it or not its pretty easy. Car thieves remove them all the time within minutes and it doesn't blow up in their face (would be nice if they did) and thats even without taking the precaution of disconnecting the battery. It's pretty dummy proof as long as you don't try to rewire it or something stupid like that. I can remove mine in about 2 minutes if i wanted to.

Comment

I have a 3 spoke non leather and a 3 spoke leather that I want to replace without having to change any wiring. I read the instructions posted and it says it should work without having to change any pins . We will see this weekend.
                  Thanks for the Links

Comment

SOoooo how did it go??
                    Please consider supporting G6P -Tap here

MODS:
                    Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
                    WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

Comment

Working...
                    X