Oygen sensors and Wheel sensors - what are they for actually

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oygen sensors and Wheel sensors - what are they for actually

So i have this damaged car and according to the technicians i need oxygen sensors and wheel sensors, but what will i start noticing once theyre in place?? Do they have a function when starting the engine (it doesnt start smooth and especially when filling at the gas station, it wont start till after some 5 tries or so...)?
    Any help is really appreciated.

take care

Andrew

Re: Oygen sensors and Wheel sensors - what are they for actu

Originally posted by curhc
    So i have this damaged car and according to the technicians i need oxygen sensors and wheel sensors, but what will i start noticing once theyre in place?? Do they have a function when starting the engine (it doesnt start smooth and especially when filling at the gas station, it wont start till after some 5 tries or so...)?
    Any help is really appreciated.

take care

Andrew
    Bad O2 sensors will causes the car to run rough. Wheel sensors have nothing to do with engine starting.
    2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 GT
    Forge Motorsports BPV
    CP-E Xcel Nano SRI
    HKS 3" Hi-Power CBE
    HyperTech Max Energy Tune

Comment

Hey Andrew -

The 02 sensors are installed in the exhaust piping, and measure how much oxygen is in the exhaust, and then calculates, from that value, what the current air/fuel ratio of the engine is. The 02 sensors work in two modes, "open loop" and "closed loop"

Open loop is when the engine just injects a set amount of fuel, using a table in the ECU. This is the case when the engine is at WOT, because the 02 sensors can't respond fast enough to make changes when at WOT.

In closed loop mode, the injectors rely on response from the 02 sensors, to know whether to put in more or less fuel than last time. The 02 sensors need to monitor close to stoichiometric air/fuel ratio (about 14.7:1) in order to keep the catalytic convertor working correctly, and to minimize emissions.

So 02 sensors are very important to the normal running of your engine.

The wheel sensors, I assume you mean wheel speed sensors. Those are used by the ABS system to monitor which wheels are slipping. I could be wrong, but they may also be used for your speedometer.

Hope this helps
      Originally posted by colinpeddle
      They'll begin missing us soon. Once all the threads stay on topic thru 14 pages... oh they'll miss us, our wit and our insane ability to wander off topic so effortlessly. Some day, a g5er will stop and say

Go tell the G6ers, passerby,
      That here, by G6er law, we lie
      Stranger, tell the G6ers that we behaved as they would wish us to, and are buried here.
      THIS IS G6PERFORMANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KJHLKAJDHLKJHLKAAHHHHHHHHHHHH<- battle cry.

Comment

Oxygen sensors are emission control devices used to calibrate the fuel mixture. If it is defective it will cause the fuel to run either too rich or too lean.

Wheel sensors are used for the ABS braking system.

p.s. carsuperfreak beat me to the answer by a minute.

Comment

Originally posted by carsuperfreak
          ... I could be wrong, but they may also be used for your speedometer...
          I think this depends on the manufacturer. I've seen vehicles that have wheel sensors for speedo input and also sensors on the tranny output for speedo input.

Comment

I think someone mentioned the speedo in the G6 runs off the tranny a while ago.

Comment

If the speedo was compromized, the car would not shift thru the gears properly, and would eventually damage the tranny. The wheel sensors monitor traction, for the traction control option as well as the ABS.

Comment

i dont mean to nit-pick, cuz superfreak had a nice reply, but stoich A/F for gasoline is actually 14.7:1, not 12.7:1. Just an FYI.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtie Boy
                  i dont mean to nit-pick, cuz superfreak had a nice reply, but stoich A/F for gasoline is actually 14.7:1, not 12.7:1. Just an FYI.
                  Ah thank you - fat fingered that one. Fixed.
                  Originally posted by colinpeddle
                  They'll begin missing us soon. Once all the threads stay on topic thru 14 pages... oh they'll miss us, our wit and our insane ability to wander off topic so effortlessly. Some day, a g5er will stop and say

Go tell the G6ers, passerby,
                  That here, by G6er law, we lie
                  Stranger, tell the G6ers that we behaved as they would wish us to, and are buried here.
                  THIS IS G6PERFORMANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KJHLKAJDHLKJHLKAAHHHHHHHHHHHH<- battle cry.

Comment

the hard starting wouldnt be caused by either of them the PCM ignores the O2s till theyve heated up

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
                    Originally posted by snowmanG6
                    you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

So after having installed both Oxygen and wheel sensors on my G6, i noticed after just 2 days the "Check enginge" light went and stayed on. It may be just coincidence of course and i thought that maybe it could be bad-quality fuel, but even after having filled my car, the light has stayed on.
                      Question then is: could the fact that the "Check engine" light is on be related to maybe not having installed the oxygen sensors correctly? are they related possibly???

Thanks again dear people,

Andrew vd Berg

Comment

it could be but its pretty hard to incorrectly install an o2 sensor unless you got the wrong ones

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
                        you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Maybe the oxygen sensors they installed were defective

Comment

My mechanic checked the "Check engine" light thing and concluded that it has to do with the Evaporative Purge Valve (hope im saying this correct). This is what the computer said. Indeed i could see that this thing, which had been damaged when my care had this crash, had been limed (!!!).

Question: anyone knows what such a thing (Evaporative Purge Valve) costs and anyone can relate to what i am telling here?

Thanks again,

Andrew vd Berg

Comment

i know what you mean the EVAP purge valve is the name of it. Its an emissions device and i think if memory setrves there between 50-75 dollars may be less

Comment

Working...
                              X