questions about the MAXX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• questions about the MAXX

a friend of mine, her parents are looking into getting a Malibu Maxx for her for her birthday (shes making the payments though). Its an 04, automatic, black with the tannish leather heated seats. Her father was asking my fiance and I if we knew anything bad about them (or good). So can some of you guys tell me the pros, cons, anything about this car. I asked her if she liked it, and she said she did, but shes more of a blazer chick, but she said at least she could afford this lol. anyways, as asked, can you guys tell me the pros, the cons, links to get information on them, etc etc. thanks guys! oh and this might sound really dumb comin from me, but is the malibu maxx still on the same platform as the reg. malibu and the 6? shes wanting me to help her mod. it a little..

I'm not a Bu owner so someone has to confirm this for me, but I think the regular Malibu is on SWB Epsilon, and the Maxx is on LWB Epsilon like the G6.

- Black/Black, Leather, Monsoon, Panoramic
    - Painted Headlights, 35% Tint, Silver Emblem Overlays
    - DS S3 Intake
    - CarDomain link: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2907956/1

Comment

Originally posted by PrimeGTP
      I'm not a Bu owner so someone has to confirm this for me, but I think the regular Malibu is on SWB Epsilon, and the Maxx is on LWB Epsilon like the G6.
      I'm pretty sure that is an accurate statement. I know for a fact that my Malibu is a SWB - close to the G6, but different by about 8 inches if I remember the article I read about the 08 Malibu's (moving to the LWB then). The Maxx is being discontinued as of 07. MzSasy or drunkenmaxx are going to be the one's to PM for more info - they're the few active Maxxer's I've seen around.

As far as the regular Malibu's are concerned, I can speak from having driven an LT (my grandfather's) and an SS (mine). The car as a whole has great handling, and assuming a V6, a nice peppy acceleration regardless of the size of the engine (although I can notice significant improvement in my 3900 obviously). The backseat for passengers is ginormous, dwarfs my mom's Camry. The seats are very comfortable, front and back, and is well suited for road trips. That's about as much as I can describe that would be applicable to the Maxx's though, due to them being a hatchback I can't really comment on 'trunk' space or rear visibility.

Mods: Vector 93 ECM/TCM, Addco prototype 7/8" rear sway bar, Powerslot Cryo rotors, Hawk ceramic pads, Yokohama AVID W4S 245/45/18 on Cobalt SS/TC wheels, Pioneer DEH-P6900UB, Alpine PDX-1.600 pushing a 12" Kicker L7, Scosche DIC, Peripheral steering wheel control kit

Comment

For 2004, the engines were the 2.2L Ecotec and the 3.5L V6.

- DS S3 Intake

Comment

i already knew the engine her dad brought it home so she could test drive it (thats how i knew about the details so much) and first thing after she came back from the test drive was *pop the hood* and low and behold a 3.5. i was like awwwww lol.

Comment

Just throwing what I knew out there Gotta love how the 3.5L is a big constant though, haha! Seems like you pop the hood of a GM car and there's a 50/50 chance you'll find a 3.5L V6 in there

- DS S3 Intake

Comment

lol

Comment

I owned a 2005 Malibu MAXX, really good gas mileage. The only two problems that I really ever encountered were the problems with the rack and pinnion and part of the steering gear had to be replaced because it was under lubricated. I thought the MAXX is a very interesting looking car and it was fun to drive when I had one. It had an amazing amount of cargo space which was great moving back and forth from college. I recommend getting the MAXX. If I didn't love the G6 so much, I would have re-leased another.
                2007 G6 Base V6 Sport Package
                Blue-Gold Crystal Metallic
                Panoramic Sun Roof

Comment

I own a 06' Maxx SS honestly no complaints so far

I think it has awesome space, halls @$$, and is a fun eye catcher. Not to fond of my 18MPG city driving only because of gas prices otherwise I wouldn't care. Fun little car.

Comment

thanks for the info on the steering. good to know.

and glad to see everyone is/has enjoyed theirs thusfar

keep the info coming lol

ive been trying to do a search but i cant find anything really on them first hand experiencers are better anyways lol

Comment

The MAXX is a solid and different car.

It is on the LWB Epsilon, same as the G6, but it has more rear legroom thanks to a rear seat that can slide back and forth just like the front seats.

Rear hatch makes the car very versatile.

I would have them check via the VIN if the car was ever serviced for the electric steering, because as a previous poster said, there are rack issues, the same as the G6. When they test drive, have them listen for a "clunk" when they turn the steering wheel. That's the issue.

Also check the sunshades for the rear skylight. These seem to break all the time (I have one bad one that needs to go back to the dealer for repair). But that's minor.

Other than that, no prob with my MAXX.
                      2006 Malibu MAXX SS
                      2008 G6 GT Street Edition
                      1994 S10 Blazer
                      1963 Studebaker Avanti

Comment

awesome and yep she now has it in her posession. heh. now to convince her to mod it and maybe join the forums lol.

Comment

the maxx is a really decent car for the price. i have the same year. another common issue is the rotors warping. (mine are now) there was no 4cyl maxx ever.

i highly suggest a custom catback exhaust (i have flowmaster myself) and one of the doc speed intakes for mods.

it's got a really surprising ammount of pep for such a heavy wagonish car. i debadged mine and people are always wondering what the hell it is. i even have the factory rear seat entertainment package, which has a DVD player and a monitor with inputs so you can hook up your video games. :smoke:

on a side note: i have the "clunk" when i turn. how hard are the changes necessary or how much should i expect to pay to have it fixed?

Comment

Working...
                          X