Hints for a *tiny* bit more torque

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hints for a *tiny* bit more torque

Hey all, I'me new to the modding gig. Mostly because this is the first car I have ever owned that I can actually mod and have it look good.

I have an 06 GT, loves it, it performs great when I am alone in the car.

But if i carry passengers (or a load) I find that the low-speed acceleration is a bit shy. It doesn't have that great amount of pull I like in my car.

I'me wondering why simple mods I could do to gain a bit of torque without voiding my warranty.

The only mods I have so far are chrome tire valves caps but i'me willing to expand.

Note that I live in a canadian cold-weather climate.

BTW: 2006 G6 GT CAD, 17" chrome tech stock tires, sport package, sunroof, 6cd monsoon 8spkr and a driver with a smile
    Canadian 2006 G6 GT Coupe, Black Leather, 8-spkr Monsoon, 17" chrome rims, SolarGuard HP Charcoal 22%, Trunk protector & roll carpet, Silver tire valve covers and a driver with a .

An intake might give you a little more get-go off the line...as well as lighten up the car a bit. I heard the stock intake assembly weighs almost 20lbs. You could also remove the spare donut in the trunk for some weight loss.

BTW: Welcome!
    -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Yeah get the intake from Doctor Speed, I noticed a pretty decent increase in power at take off in my GT.
      TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Even though the G6 was designed to run on 87 pump, if you run a better grade of gas, and drive the car aggresive, the ecm will remember the higher timing curve and give you a bit better performance. If you run 87 and drive the car like an old lady, the timing advance in the memory won't support the best performance, and the car will feel a bit slugish, when compared to the more aggresive timing curve.

Comment

I don't know about the higher octane gas...that's just hard on the wallet. But if you pull the negative cable on the battery for what is it, 15 minutes? To reset everything, then drive the car hard, you might find a little performance increase.
          -Mike #1

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Comment

Originally posted by GTPGuy82
            I don't know about the higher octane gas...that's just hard on the wallet. But if you pull the negative cable on the battery for what is it, 15 minutes? To reset everything, then drive the car hard, you might find a little performance increase.
            Sorry no banana...
            The ecm will advance the timing till it finds a knock. If you run crap gas, it will find a knock and automatically back off the timing.

Comment

Oh well, it's different from Fords I guess.
              -Mike #1

Comment

GT-R wrote:
                Even though the G6 was designed to run on 87 pump, if you run a better grade of gas, and drive the car aggresive, the ecm will remember the higher timing curve and give you a bit better performance. If you run 87 and drive the car like an old lady, the timing advance in the memory won't support the best performance, and the car will feel a bit slugish, when compared to the more aggresive timing curve.

Yeah i live in canada so our fuel is a bit different. I run always 89 and I go to the good gas stations. For sure fuel makes a difference, if I put the super (92) grade or even the 94 grade it packs a lot of punch, but the cost is sky high so I usually keep it at 89.

Really interesting what you are saying about the ECM. So what you are saying is that i should constantly floor off the red lights (more than I do now? ).

Since most of the driving I do is stop-and-go downtown traffic, maby this is the reason. Is there a way to reset the ECM's memory? What learning algorithm does it use (averaging?)

Thanks.
                Canadian 2006 G6 GT Coupe, Black Leather, 8-spkr Monsoon, 17" chrome rims, SolarGuard HP Charcoal 22%, Trunk protector & roll carpet, Silver tire valve covers and a driver with a .

Comment

Keep in mind, that using too much octane rated gas will slow the car aswell. By too much octane I'm refering to race gas, which would mean anything over 93 octane.

Comment

So what you are saying is that i should constantly floor off the red lights (more than I do now)?
                    There's a different way???
                    2006 G6 GTP Coupe
                    :: Doctor Speed Turbo Kit ::
                    :: Decals by RK Vinyl :: <-- Check out the newly redesigned store!!
                    :: GT-R Exhaust ::

Comment

I live right near an Indian Reservation (cheap gas due to no taxes) so I always fill up with Premium and it does definitely make a difference!! But I would like to know more about this ECU thing, so could someone explain it a little more?!
                      Originally posted by Toyz
                      Originally posted by simplyred
                      what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
                      As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

i live in good ole WV where we get extra tax on our gas, but i still put in premium..go ooonnn about the ecu though

Comment

I think I paid about $2.30 for premium... which may sound like alot, but where I live regular gas is about $2.50 haha

Comment

2.30 that be nice, ours actually just got down to that for high octane

has been above 2.50

Comment

yeah NYS is horriffic with taxes, probably one of the most taxed stated in the USA. Its unreal.. I remember when we had that gas spike late last year. A new gas stationed opened with a grocery store, the gas went from $2.30-$2.89 in a matter of like 10 mins, people were literally fighting to get cheap gas.

Comment

Working...
                              X