car won't turn off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car won't turn off

i have an 06 gtp 6-speed manual. When i go to turn off the car and take the key out it does not turn off, it keeps running for like 10-20 seconds. I can even drive it without the key. It has been in the shop 2 time in the past 2 months for this same problem and today makes 3 times. I just got the car back for the same reason on tuesday. This completely sucks the car only has 4300 miles on it. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be. They already replaced the ECU, and some 11 pin wiring harness, and now they think it is the ignition switch. I think they don't know what it is.
    2006 GTP black. fully loaded. with razzi body kit and american racing rims.

can that really happen. i never heard of that before.
    Did u take it back to the dealer

Comment

maybe its a cool-down feature. I know for a fact that if you turbo a car you have to put in a turbo timer. Which allows the car to keep running even after you turn it off. it keeps the engine running to move the hot oil out of the turbo. So maybe your car is doing that, trying to cool your oil....? I would look through the manual
      VA All Day!! PWC

Comment

hmm mine doesnt do that at all. when you say shop, was it to the dealership?

Comment

That's not normal at all. Also, you shouldn't be able to shift your car without the key in the ignition which seems wierd that you can drive it without the key....unless you mean you can just drive in reverse without it?

Comment

After the 3rd time Id look into a lemon law claim to basically get a new car.. only because thats def not right, its a horrid safty problem and well... its just shitty all around.

Keep us updated!!
            Originally posted by Toyz
            Originally posted by simplyred
            what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
            As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

i have only tried driving it in reverse. I did take it to the dealership. Today i gave it to them and it is the third time it happened so on monday i am going to call a lemon law lawyer about the law and to see what i have to do now. It drives in reverse for about 10-20 seconds then the engine shuts off. the only other way to turn it ioff is to stall it out. so hopefully they find out what is really wrong with it. But if i lemon law it i think i am going to get my money back and buy a new camero when they come out or buy something else really nice, but not really sure yet. i will have to see what happens first.

Comment

If it is that repeatable it should be pretty easy to diagnose. Sorry to hear the dealer wasn't able to find what was causing it. At this point you likely aren't interested in actually trying to find issue but I might have a few things for you to try to isolate it.

Comment

Your not parked in an old indian burial ground are you?
                  Please consider supporting G6P -Tap here

MODS:
                  Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
                  WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

Comment

Originally posted by Lampoon
                    Your not parked in an old indian burial ground are you?
                    Dude, it's a car, not a dead cat!

sigpic
                    Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

Please consider supporting G6P -Tap here

MODS:
                      Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
                      WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

Comment

i could do this on my old car...but that is not normal for sure

Comment

well i got my car back today. they replaced the ignition switch and the fuse box in the engine. so far so good. but then again when they put my car on the lift they broke my ground effects. i have the Razzi body kit on my car which they put on before i even looked at the car or bought it. so now they have ordered me ne ground effects and are going to put them on within the next week or two. but for now i have to wait and see if the engine problems come back or not.

Comment

Ah, the joys of service department. Hope they get your kit in sometime this year!

- Black/Black, Leather, Monsoon, Panoramic
                            - Painted Headlights, 35% Tint, Silver Emblem Overlays
                            - DS S3 Intake
                            - CarDomain link: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2907956/1

Comment

Re: car won't turn off

Originally posted by rsxacr7
                              I think they don't know what it is.
                              Uh... Yeah. Ya think?
                              Then they go and bust the body kit. This reminds me of Ron White's bit about missing Lug Nut Day in mechanic's school.

Comment

Working...
                              X