Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How-To: Remove/Replace Door Handles (chrome ebay ones)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How-To: Remove/Replace Door Handles (chrome ebay ones)

Before I get into it, a few notes.

1) I truly took one for the team on this. After taking the door panels apart, along the way adding a few unnecessary scratches, I figured out I didn't really need to remove the interior door panel to do this, if I had balls. This I did not figure out till after 3 hours of just staring at it.
    2) This may be vert specific as god knows how it may differ from a coupe or sedan. Chances are, they're all the exact same, but then again, I don't have a keyhole on my trunk, so......

I took as many pics as I could. In the end, I don't even need one pic. Here's why: other cars I've seen, the inside of their door panel is pretty much wide open with full access to everything. This was not so. On my g6, there's a big hole in the middle, leaving next to no access to the inner side of the handle. Also, the window mech is RIGHT in the fucking way. You're left with 2 holes (3, but one is blocked by the window mech.) to use on the inner side of the door and a small one on the front edge of the door, right next to the plant decal is, which is covered by a little rubber plug.

TO DO THIS WITHOUT HASSLE:
    Here is what you do.

1.Get your torx (4mm I think) and pull that little rubber plug out. You'll see a screw. Begin unscrewing it. It's long and it'll take a while. MAKE SURE YOU DON'T BACK IT OFF TOO MUCH OR YOU'LL PROBABLY LOSE IT AND HAVE TO REMOVE THE INNER DOOR PANEL. As you begin to back it off, the cap (small bit of the handle) will not loosen at all till it is essentially about to fall off. Watch this. As soon as it comes of. Stop screwing.

2. You'll need to pull the handle out and then the little cap will just slide out. No pressure needed.

3.Once the cap is out. The handle is not secured by anything really. You need to slide it towards the rear of the car, you may hear a snap as it does this.

4. Once you've slide the handle/lever, towards the back of the car, it'll just come out.

5. Now, the chrome handles I got, had a hard metal piece in the cap. It is too big for my car, so i swapped it with the factory one off the red cap and it fit snug.

6. The rubber liner that the cap sits on is a bit too snug in the area that the lever slides thru when opening the door. Get a blade and just trim it to the edge next to the two little points that would stick into the door. (you'll know what I mean once you see it). The rubber thing just comes off.

7. Now get the new lever, put it in the hole and slide it towards the front of the car and you'll here it snap in place. You should now be able to open the door mech. Then, get your torx again and put the cap in place, screw it tight and you're done.

Hopefully you can all do this without dismantling your door panel.

Now for pictures in no particular order:

This is actually a very, very easy mod. Assuming you don't drop anything into your door, forcing you to take your door panel off.
    The Present: 2010 Mazdaspeed3... Zoom Zoom

The Past: 06 G6 GTP Vert: Westers Tune - GT-R Exhaust - Doc's Stage3 CAI+ CRAB O4+K&N - GMPD Strut - RL Street Inserts - CMS Bespoke Vert Lowering Springs - Quicklifts - Enkei FN18's, N3000's 245/45y18 - 35% Tint Around - 4300k HIDs His & Los - Black Headlight bezels - Black Recessed Grills - Pooners Chrome Trim Blackout - Black Overlays on Darts - Avic f700bt

awesome write up..might move your pics into the areas where you talk about the picture (just to make it easier to follow)

Comment

Originally posted by bluegtp33
      awesome write up..might move your pics into the areas where you talk about the picture (just to make it easier to follow)
      The pics are in no reference to anything I write about. Just to look at. The mod is easy. You literally take out the plastic plug, unscrew the screw a bit. Pop off the cap. Remove the lever and go in reverse.

The Past: 06 G6 GTP Vert: Westers Tune - GT-R Exhaust - Doc's Stage3 CAI+ CRAB O4+K&N - GMPD Strut - RL Street Inserts - CMS Bespoke Vert Lowering Springs - Quicklifts - Enkei FN18's, N3000's 245/45y18 - 35% Tint Around - 4300k HIDs His & Los - Black Headlight bezels - Black Recessed Grills - Pooners Chrome Trim Blackout - Black Overlays on Darts - Avic f700bt

Comment

so basically you don't have to remove the door panel at all for this? Or you just have to remove that one that pops in? Nice write up and pics. Thanks.
        -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Originally posted by GTPGuy82
          so basically you don't have to remove the door panel at all for this? Nice write up and pics. Thanks.
          Probably not. If you drop something, yes you will. Thats why I didn't bother giving instructions on how to get the door off. Someone else put those online anyway.

Rear doors on a sedan could be different. Not a clue.

Comment

nice job on the write up, I might be doing this after I buy a replacement speaker for one I just blew on Wendesday
            TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Very nice write up, looks awesome too. I've always thought these were just plastic, by chance are they metal?

This kinda makes me want to buy a set, but dunno if I like them more than my stock ones... might be a good thing to see about a group buy actually.

Comment

I think they would look pretty hot on a white car.

Comment

Yeah I'm thinking so...

Comment

I think they'll look good on any g6 with the chrome window accents.

Also, they're the exact same as factory. They're surprisingly high quality.

They're not metal. They're the same material as the factory ones I think.

(i haven't been out to the car since I put them on to be honest and the factories are still in the car)

Comment

Hmm was figuring that, got me wondering since you said the backing plate was metal Oh well

Comment

Excellent!!!!!! This has been talked about for the longest and you're finally the first one to actually do it!!
                        '05 Black G6 GT, Axxess XM Direct Upgrade, Steering Wheel Swap, 6000k HID conversion, 18" GTP Wheels Chromed

Comment

This is a mod i've done as well (very easy no door panels need to be removed) and just to help anyone else out trying to do this as well... On the 05 models you will need a star screw driver size T-25x4 as opposed to the torx colinpeddle mentions (probably for 06+). Also the inner liner piece beneath the cap that the screw is in is brass in the 05 models as opposed to plastic on the 06+. And lastly, one thing i was confused about was the location of the rubber plug colinpeddle described. Its a small circular rubber plug on the inside part of the door (the part of the door you can only see when its opened) up where the handle is. Once thats popped off the long screw is there clear as day and all is pretty easy from there. Took me about 30 minutes to do all 4 of my doors. But thanks colin wouldn't have even purchased them if you didn't do this write up.
                          '05 Black G6 GT, Axxess XM Direct Upgrade, Steering Wheel Swap, 6000k HID conversion, 18" GTP Wheels Chromed

Comment

ditto, i have now completed this mod and it is simple

few things ill say

the pop you here when you slide the handle back is it popping off the actual lever it pulls on to open door, dont fret it

the rubber protection piece behind the small part of handle i didnt have to shave at all, mine fit no problems

the only reason i had to use the factory plastic piece behind the small part is because the metal piece would not line up with the screw, it was barely off and you could probably use it if you took a small layer off the rubber protection piece behind the small portion of handle

easy mod to do and looks great on blue for sure

Comment

^so obviously the lever will go back into the new handles when you reinstall or else they wouldn't work?
                              TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Working...
                              X