Turbo vs. Supercharger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo vs. Supercharger

thanks alot guys, i dont really wanna make any changes atm, you know,.. its winter out and its cold...

do you guys think they will ever make a supercharger or turbo for the g6?

thats what im kinda waiting for, i dont want to make any small changes and make a big deal about it, i want to put something big into it then add all the little extra toys on it, u know
    myspace.com/chanman321

RSM has a supercharger out but its an INSAINE amount of money.. over 4g's
    Originally posted by Toyz
    Originally posted by simplyred
    what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
    As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

RSM has a supercharger out but its an INSAINE amount of money.. over 4g's
      now thats just too much... how much faster then does it make your car anyways?

btw quick question...

whats the differnces between turbo and supercharge?

i heard alot of stuff of each but i dont knwo if its true or not
      myspace.com/chanman321

Comment

one think is a turbo you could vary on the output..a supercharger will always be the same

Comment

well a turbo can have "real time" change.. a supercharger requires a different pully. I believe their specs had the supercharger a 85hp increase

Comment

The differences could be listed in a page as long as this complete thread, the main differences are:

1. Supercharger uses engine power to run due to being belt driven while a turbo uses exhaust gases to run which takes virtually no power from the engine.

2. Superchargers are very reliable and relatively safe on an engine while a turbo is not reliable and can damage an engine in the blink of an eye.

3. There's a huge difference in major components needed between the two.

There are many many more differences and this doesn't even begin to scratch the surface but I think those are a few of the major differences.
            TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

yes.. listing them all would be a whopper of a thread. But LoJac pretty much hit the nail on the head!

Comment

Stay away from both unless your prepaird to upgrade pistons and recalibrate the entire fuel and timing map. A turbo also requires a special exhaust system or exhaust manifold to feed the turbo.

Turbos are more efficient then superchargers. BOTH are capable of damaging the engine if the proper mods and requirements are not met. Turbos are MORE reliable than superchargers, due to less moving parts.

Superchargers respond quicker than turbos, which require spooling up. Known as turbo lag.

Comment

The thing I never understood is why superchargers are more seen paired with American cars, and turbos are usually paired with imports. Most american muscle cars making insane amounts of power usually have a supercharger.

Nowadays people are putting both on their cars.
                  -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

turbochargers also usually require running oil lines while centrifugal superchargers can be self contained making instal much easier. an intercooler is more of a necessity on a turbo engine because the heat of compression pairs with the heat of the exhaust making the air hotter than the average S/C air charge.

like Lojac said there are plenty of differences, some bigger than others. turbocharging always seemed a little more in depth than a supercharger, which can usually be bolted on easily in a day.

Comment

someone told me that turbo made your car run faster after you hit 40mph... and supercharge made your car start faster from 0-40mph... i dont know much but thats just what i heard..

neways, what you guys think would be the best for the g6? charger or turbo?

edit- btw, did one of you guys made this into a topic? because i didnt...
                      myspace.com/chanman321

Comment

I personally would rather have the supercharger than the turbo, I like the way it sits on the engine and the look it gives the car. One of the admins probably changed it because were in the process (slowly) of cleaning up the site a little to make it more user friends (searching for topics, etc..)

Comment

its not a matter of which is better it depends on what you want and the applications. its like comparing apples to oranges in my opinion. A turbo set-up on this car, i would not do it. I would rather bore the crap out of it and do some serious tuning, and maybe add a supercharger. theres no need for a turbo setup. 8-10lbs of boost from a centrifugal or dual scroll charger is enough. with the addition of forged pistons, so good rings, maybe a little head work. and of course fuel delivery.
                          jeff
                          05 G6 GT:front air splitter, "speed limiter" removed. Red halo fog lights. fab'd short ram intake(the 1st). first ever side exhaust G6 =) de-badged, removed and filled f.bumper pontiac symbol (another 1st)
                          90 bmw 535i :turbo, exhaust, intake, a lot...
                          1988 mitsubishi starion esi-r (just bought)
                          F/A-22 raptor crewchief USAF

Comment

For the G6...

Personally, I would want a turbo setup. As far as powerband characteristics, tuning, etc. I would say 6 spd owners would have more fun with a turbo because you can keep it up in your powerband and use a more agressive setup.

Of course, automatics can do it with a less agressive setup (compressor, wastegate, blah blah) and have a great increase, but I would prefer the SC in an automatic application. How & when the power gain really starts to shine would be the reason I say this.

If you're just going to drag race from a standstill to the end of the 1/4 mile, you could tune each setup to do what you want. But for the other 99.99% of the time, what I wrote above is how I'd do it. Sure there are ways to make both applications work (and work well) for both tranny setups, but this is just how I would do it.

Besides, the 1% ricer in all of us would have too much fun playing with the BOV on a 6 speed.

Just my .02
                            2006 G6 GTP Coupe
                            :: Doctor Speed Turbo Kit ::
                            :: Decals by RK Vinyl :: <-- Check out the newly redesigned store!!
                            :: GT-R Exhaust ::

Comment

As has already been mentioned, a full fledged turbo vs. supercharger tale would be quite a post. But LoJack and GTR both bring up very good points in their posts.

Although, in terms of reliability and safety, i would tend to disagree with LoJack there - I think either solution carries an equal amount of concern for the longevity of the vehicle.

Apologies to you who already know most of this-

I know I'm making harsh generalizations here, but as a general rule of thumb, superchargers do much more work at lower rpm, and greatly improve the overall flatness of the torque curve at low rpm. The problem with superchargers, as has been mentioned, is that because they are run by a belt connected to the crankshaft - so they take some of the engines power to run. The gear on the end of the supercharger snout drives a pari of helical-styled gears (in a roots-type blower) which take atmospheric air, and force it into the intake manifold with a higher pressure, which is where the extra power comes from. However, because they are belt driven, the power response is more instantaneous.

Turbos, while more efficient, have a certain amount of "turbo lag." This is due to the fact that the idea behind turbos is that they use exhaust gasses coming out of the combustion chamber to spin a turbine which compresses the air. So basically, there is no additional losses as with the supercharger, you're just using whats already there. The turbo lag comes from the additional time needed for engine rpms to rise, allowing more air to go through the turbo, at a higher velocity. Which is why turbos usually add a good amount of power to the upper part of the power band. However, this turbo lag can be compensated for by using two stage turbos (a small turbo and a large turbo) or a Variable vane turbo (a turbo where the vanes in the turbine change their angle depending on the amount of airflow)

The one issue I would see with turbos on the G6 is the question of underhood space for the tubing that would not restrict airflow - if this were accomplished, then a turbo would do fairly well on our cars. with the pushrod engines, and especially the 3900, the torque in the lower rpms is fantastic. I do notice however that my car goes best right around 3-4K rpm - a turbo would help bring the torque curve up in the higher rpms.
                              Originally posted by colinpeddle
                              They'll begin missing us soon. Once all the threads stay on topic thru 14 pages... oh they'll miss us, our wit and our insane ability to wander off topic so effortlessly. Some day, a g5er will stop and say

Go tell the G6ers, passerby,
                              That here, by G6er law, we lie
                              Stranger, tell the G6ers that we behaved as they would wish us to, and are buried here.
                              THIS IS G6PERFORMANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KJHLKAJDHLKJHLKAAHHHHHHHHHHHH<- battle cry.

Comment

Working...
                              X