Pathetic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pathetic

this is im sure a dumb question however i dont want to mess stuff up..but can someone do a "How to" on replacing rotors and brake pads please...

thanks
    phil
    06BlkGTP 6spd coupe.
    D.S CAI+Stage 4.
    Tune Time Performance Tune.
    Red painted calipers.
    GT-R Exhaust
    GM Strut Bar
    Red LEDs under dash
    PowerSlot Cryo Rotors + Hawk Pads
    Hammerhead

Re: Pathetic

Originally posted by blkgtp
    this is im sure a dumb question however i dont want to mess stuff up..but can someone do a "How to" on replacing rotors and brake pads please...

thanks
    phil
    There's no such thing as a dumb question when it comes to doing things like this safely.

That said, I can't do a how-to until I do my own brakes..

sigpic
    Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

I agree with above, I might be purchasing some new rotors here soon since I have to do my brakes. If I get to it before anyone else does I'll get the How-To up for ya.
      TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

I thought about doing one when I changed mine, but halfway through I forgot to take pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by Interfire
          I thought about doing one when I changed mine, but halfway through I forgot to take pictures.
          That's the way to help the team out there buddy.

sigpic
          Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

thanks all for the support...but yea if anyone could help out at all it would be greatly appreciated
            06BlkGTP 6spd coupe.
            D.S CAI+Stage 4.
            Tune Time Performance Tune.
            Red painted calipers.
            GT-R Exhaust
            GM Strut Bar
            Red LEDs under dash
            PowerSlot Cryo Rotors + Hawk Pads
            Hammerhead

Comment

Here goes....

Jack up car
              Remove wheel
              remove caliper bolts
              remove caliper
              hang with bungie cord
              remove pads
              remove bracket
              Remove rotor
              compress piston
              get rotors cut
              reverse

Mine - 2006 Black Grand Prix GXP

Comment

Originally posted by TLS2000

Well the hardest part was taking those damn clips off that hold the rotors on.

Comment

^really, hmm I didn't have any problems getting mine out when I painted my rotors ages ago
                  TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

It's not too hard. When you do the rears, you need a tool to turn the piston instead of pushing it straight in. There is a little knob on the new brake pad; this will have to line up with the groove on the piston (the one you use to turn the piston) otherwise you won't fit the caliper over the new pads.

Comment

Originally posted by jnak
                      It's not too hard. When you do the rears, you need a tool to turn the piston instead of pushing it straight in. There is a little knob on the new brake pad; this will have to line up with the groove on the piston (the one you use to turn the piston) otherwise you won't fit the caliper over the new pads.
                      Man I didn't know the 6's brakes were setup like that... I changed the rear pads and rotors on a mustang GT (same turn and push in idea) a couple years back and it was a pain in the ass without the right tools.

Comment

Originally posted by TLS2000

Well the hardest part was taking those damn clips off that hold the rotors on.
                        the easiest way i have found to get the keepers off is to take a pair of sidecutters (wire cutters, whatever you wanna call them) and grab one of the tabs and twist it clockwise as you pull up on it. i can pop them off in about 2 seconds each doing it this way. of course doing it 10-20 times a day makes for pretty good practice too

Comment

Yeah after a few I got the hang of it, just put a flathead in there and twisted it enough to get some torque on it and snap it off. Just a really big annoyance for something stupid to put on there. The first one I was trying to get off in one piece so I could save it, then it clicked in and I was like wtf...

Comment

Yeah after a few I got the hang of it, just put a flathead in there and twisted it enough to get some torque on it and snap it off. Just a really big annoyance for something stupid to put on there. The first one I was trying to get off in one piece so I could save it, then it clicked in and I was like wtf...
                            yeah no need to save them. they just take the place of the screws they use on a lot of imports, their only purpose is to hold the rotor in place while the rest of the brake system is assembled when the car is built.

Comment

Yeah I was pretty tired when I did it, so I was a little

But the idiots didn't have to use so many of them, on one wheel I had 5!

Comment

Working...
                              X