Spots on Rims (Chrome Rims on GT's)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spots on Rims (Chrome Rims on GT's)

So the weather was finally nice enough here in WI to give my car a nice handwash. When I went to go wash my rims (Chrome rims found on a GT) there were some white spots on corners of the spokes. The simple car soap and rag didn't take the white spots off. A good amount of pressure didn't even seem to take any off.

Are there any products out there that may help to remove the residue? Or do I have to suck it up and blame it on the snow and salt? The soap and water was all I had time to try, and thought I'd stop at car parts store during the week.

post a pic of it then we can tell ya better otherwiese get some wheel cleaner and hose off...
    !~ByGe~! or !~bYgShReK~!

EVERYDAY IM HUSTLIN 24\7 365 DAYS

06' GTP COUPE, STAGE 3 CAI, CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
    FUTURE MODS THIS YEAR: anything that gives horsepower to the wheels cuz money aint a issue
    SHOOTING FOR HIGH 13'S
    14.552 @ 98.20 in the 1\4 mile

Comment

Does it scrape off with your fingernail? Try a claybar that should pull it off, if not then some wheel cleaner should or even try some detailer spray and a rag or go get a cleaner/polish like scratch X to take it off.

Comment

Flitz metal polish is chrome's BEST friend. I use it on my Harley all the time and it never siezes to amaze me.
        Black 06 GTP Coupe - Dr. Speed Cold Air Box, Tinted Windows, Projektorz - Coming this week: Grafxworks Pontiac overlays all around, Black Painted Calipers w/ ZZP Decals and Rockblocker Smoked Tail Light Covers !!

Comment

Re: Spots on Rims (Chrome Rims on GT's)

Originally posted by thearchitectg6gt
          So the weather was finally nice enough here in WI to give my car a nice handwash. When I went to go wash my rims (Chrome rims found on a GT) there were some white spots on corners of the spokes. The simple car soap and rag didn't take the white spots off. A good amount of pressure didn't even seem to take any off.

Are there any products out there that may help to remove the residue? Or do I have to suck it up and blame it on the snow and salt? The soap and water was all I had time to try, and thought I'd stop at car parts store during the week.
          Are they the "Chrome-Tech' wheels?
          2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 GT
          Forge Motorsports BPV
          CP-E Xcel Nano SRI
          HKS 3" Hi-Power CBE
          HyperTech Max Energy Tune

Comment

Re: Spots on Rims (Chrome Rims on GT's)

Originally posted by Kman
            Originally posted by thearchitectg6gt

Are they the "Chrome-Tech' wheels?
            If so, the "plastic chrome" might just be comming off in some of the corners!!??
            Originally posted by Toyz
            Originally posted by simplyred
            what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
            As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

Originally posted by MYfynGTP
              Flitz metal polish is chrome's BEST friend. I use it on my Harley all the time and it never siezes to amaze me.
              Yeah that prolly works great on real chrome but the rims on the GTs are a fake plastic chrome.
              Blue Man Group Member #22 '06 GTP Sedan 6MT Electric Blue Lease trade in
              Now, 04 GP Comp G White: Tint, STB's, Intake, Trans cooler, Overkilled, HID's, and a few other misc. things.

Comment

Kman -

Yes they would be the 17" Chrome-Tech wheel.

Comment

Chrome is chrome. Even if the substate is plastic. Nickel is the substance that the chrome is adhered too. Mine (chrometech's) looked like crap. I also live where salt is used liberally. Mine cleaned up with no problems. Perhaps something else other than road dirt hit your wheels.
                  G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
                  Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
                  Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
                  20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

ive noticed a couple "scratches" in a couple of my wheels too, but Goo-Gone and a toothbrush took em right out
                    2007 Black on Black G6 GT. Sun & Sound Package. 224 hp 3.5 L V6. Hammerhead spoiler

Comment

I tend to believe something hit your wheels.
                      2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 GT
                      Forge Motorsports BPV
                      CP-E Xcel Nano SRI
                      HKS 3" Hi-Power CBE
                      HyperTech Max Energy Tune

Comment

I used a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser on my wheels (they're painted though) and I was amazed at the results... it took off a yellow stain that I couldn't remove with my wheel cleaner foam.
                        Trust me, I'm a professional!

Comment

As long as it's not chipping off the process would be the same, but they will chip and nothing you can do about it.

Comment

Working...
                          X