3.5L and oil consumption.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.5L and oil consumption.

Changed the oil in my 3.5L at 32,000 miles w/Mobil 1; checked the oil at 33,200 and it was about a third of qt low. At this rate, I'd be a qt low using a 3K OCI.

Is this engine known for oil consumption or should I be concerned? My G6 isn't giving off any white smoke and I've thoroughly looked for a leak. I don't mind topping off my oil perodically if this is a normal behavior for this specific engine (certain Chrysler minivan powerplants are known for such things too).

BTW: I've had years of success w/Mobil 1 in other vehicles, so I know it's not because I switched to a synthetic (old myth). My Vibe gets four qts every four thousand miles and the level is EXACTLY the same during the entire OCI.

Thanks for any help.

I haven't heard anything about the 3500 specifically, but previous GM pushrod V6s have had a reputation for drinking oil. I wouldn't be surprised considering the 3500 is a member of that family.

Any 3500 guys have the same problem?

- Black/Black, Leather, Monsoon, Panoramic
    - Painted Headlights, 35% Tint, Silver Emblem Overlays
    - DS S3 Intake
    - CarDomain link: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2907956/1

Comment

I myself have the GTP 3900, 14 months old and just hit 12K with no extra oil needed. Granted its not the 3500 and diffrent engine. But its "normal" for an engine if it takes a quart of oil every 2500-3000 miles most mechanics will tell you. It could have to do with the wrist ring design. I know that was the design flaw on the Ford 5.0L V8s. The wrsit rings are designed wrong on all 5.0s and they all consume about a quart of oil around 1500 miles.
      2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
      Gotta have it Green color
      Brembo brake package
      420 HP 5.0L
      Ford Racing Power Pack
      GT500 track pack differential cover
      BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

I change my oil every 5,000 km and I have the 3900 too, but I have never noticed a problem with oil consumption.

Comment

3500, no problems i've seen
          BMG Cofounder who happens to be a Petrolsexual
          ^ The Man
          v The Legend

Comment

I've had no issues here either, but with the 3.9 engine.

Comment

i havent had any issues with my 06 3.5
              BCG Member #1::G6er Elite

Comment

no issues with mine either, only think is I have to put in about 4.5 quarts as opposed to the 4 when I change the oil.
                TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

I've got around 24K miles on mine, no disappearing oil yet.

Comment

Working...
                  X