Dot Pattern on windshield?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dot Pattern on windshield?

Anyone know the purpose of the black dot pattern on the windshield above the rear view mirror? And does anyone know if easy-pass transmitter will work through it or does it have to be mounted below it?

i always thought it was a tinting thing to keep the sun out of your eyes when you checked the rearview.

Comment

Correct and yes the toll transmitter will work just fine...

John
      Mine - 2006 Black Grand Prix GXP

Comment

I rented a g6 when visiting my parents in florida (with a sun pass for ttolls) and the transmitter was attached to the underside of the dash, passenger side. Those transmitters are not line of sight, just extreme low power RF. You could probably put it in your glove box?

As for the dots on the windshield, I would guess it's to keep the mirror a little cooler - there are a lot of electronics packed in that thing now a days, not to mention the auto dimming feature.
        Red LED interior, custom floor & trunk lights - LED marker lights, Spider Lite tail lights (used bulbs instead of resistor -ask me how!) - Formula One Pinnaacle 15% Tint - Hard wired Cobra radar detector - Dr. Speed Stage 3 CAI - next... white face gauges and a custom LED glove box light

Comment

Originally posted by EmersonHart13
          Correct and yes the toll transmitter will work just fine...

John
          I just want to verify that you have the transmitter mounted on the dot pattern not below it. Thanks, Mike

Comment

Yes mine is directly behind the mirror on the dot pattern. It hides it from site and works flawlessly....

Comment

Originally posted by viper007
              I rented a g6 when visiting my parents in florida (with a sun pass for ttolls) and the transmitter was attached to the underside of the dash, passenger side. Those transmitters are not line of sight, just extreme low power RF. You could probably put it in your glove box?

As for the dots on the windshield, I would guess it's to keep the mirror a little cooler - there are a lot of electronics packed in that thing now a days, not to mention the auto dimming feature.
              EZPass transmitters won't work with a number of cars that have metal in the windshield (see link). You see a lot of cars with an external transmitter mounted on the top of the front plate when they encounter problems.
              http://www.ezpass.com/static/info/exteriortags.shtml

Comment

Originally posted by EmersonHart13
                Yes mine is directly behind the mirror on the dot pattern. It hides it from site and works flawlessly....
                Directly behind mirror is below dot pattern. Dot pattern is slightly above the mirror. I prefer to mount it on the dot pattern but even if I have to go below it the mirror will still hide it.

Comment

so just mount the thing on the dot pattern and drive through the ez-pass lane. if it doesn't work move it.

Comment

no the dots are behind the mirror (or above i guess)

depends on how you view it...he has it mounted above and behind the mirror

not below and behind

Comment

Exactly, all how you view it... I like it blocked from the outside and inside as much as possible...

John

Comment

Originally posted by mikey00
                        Originally posted by viper007

EZPass transmitters won't work with a number of cars that have metal in the windshield (see link). You see a lot of cars with an external transmitter mounted on the top of the front plate when they encounter problems.
                        http://www.ezpass.com/static/info/exteriortags.shtml
                        Good thing to know! Guess the Florida SunPass is better! (stab!) LOL
                        Red LED interior, custom floor & trunk lights - LED marker lights, Spider Lite tail lights (used bulbs instead of resistor -ask me how!) - Formula One Pinnaacle 15% Tint - Hard wired Cobra radar detector - Dr. Speed Stage 3 CAI - next... white face gauges and a custom LED glove box light

Comment

what are tolls?
                          TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Originally posted by LoJac963
                            what are tolls?

Hmm I am guessing you don't have any where you are Lojac - lol I would not laugh too hard because - we didn't either until a few years ago when they built the 407 - hehe not as funny for us now.
                            My transmitter works almost anywhere in the car - but the perfect place for it is in that little cubby hole bottom left of the radio dash part

Comment

Originally posted by LoJac963
                              what are tolls?

Comment

Working...
                              X