Ethanol conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethanol conversion

What all is different in cars that can burn E85 and those that cant?

Really what i want to know is: could we make the 3.9 able to burn it? Im a pretty big fan of Ethanol and i think its cool that my mom's suburban can burn it, but why can't my car?

Heres what i've heard. Ethanol is alcohol, not petroleum. Thus it will eventually dry and crack rubber seals/gaskets/fuel lines and anything it comes in contact with.
    '06 GTP w/ 3 pedals

there is a kit you can buy for around $700, not including installation I believe, that will allow your car to run on it.
    -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

I dont think the internals of the engine are built to handle ethanol. It burns hotter than Gasoline, so eventually it would dynamite the engine. I've seen endless discussions on why it won't work on "non-green" vehicle and thats been the most consistant conclusion I've seen.
      Black 06 GTP Coupe - Dr. Speed Cold Air Box, Tinted Windows, Projektorz - Coming this week: Grafxworks Pontiac overlays all around, Black Painted Calipers w/ ZZP Decals and Rockblocker Smoked Tail Light Covers !!

Comment

here ya go...i didnt read it but it fits this topic

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070418/ap_ ... alth_risks

Comment

yea here's another one from LLN similar to that one ^

-Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Ethanol isn't all it's cracked up to be. The US government policy of switching to alternate fuels has also caused the price of food to skyrocket at the wholesale level. Expect to see the results of those price increases at the stores.

sigpic
            Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

I look at it this way

$1.00 old corn price $1.50 new corn price

$3.00gal gas price now $2.00 gas price alternative fuel

If nothing else, if we went to Bio diesel think of the enviroment changes alone with all the trucks on the road. We are the fattest nation so getting used grease should be nooooo problem!! :wacko:
              Originally posted by Toyz
              Originally posted by simplyred
              what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
              As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

I look at it this way

$1.00 old corn price $1.50 new corn price

$3.00gal gas price now $2.00 gas price alternative fuel

If nothing else, if we went to Bio diesel think of the enviroment changes alone with all the trucks on the road. We are the fattest nation so getting used grease should be nooooo problem!! :wacko:
                Ya, but what will the corn prices be when ethanol is taking up the entire US crop of corn?

sigpic
                Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

It a renewable resource... grow more corn and its not like corn is the staple of the american diet... fatty foods are

Either way, it has to be better then what we are using now, if the big oil companies didnt have their hands in the gov pocket we'd already have alternative fuels for cars. The president gave it a time frame of 10 years... 1O YEARS, with the technology we have today it could've been done 10 years ago!!! Look at Europe, you dont see many 15mpg SUVs because the gov stepped in and made strict policies on fuel economy standards... however we can't seem to do that because they'd loose election money

Comment

It a renewable resource... grow more corn and its not like corn is the staple of the american diet... fatty foods are
                    Lol...

Read The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan.

Corn is in EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!
                    The Present: 2010 Mazdaspeed3... Zoom Zoom

The Past: 06 G6 GTP Vert: Westers Tune - GT-R Exhaust - Doc's Stage3 CAI+ CRAB O4+K&N - GMPD Strut - RL Street Inserts - CMS Bespoke Vert Lowering Springs - Quicklifts - Enkei FN18's, N3000's 245/45y18 - 35% Tint Around - 4300k HIDs His & Los - Black Headlight bezels - Black Recessed Grills - Pooners Chrome Trim Blackout - Black Overlays on Darts - Avic f700bt

Comment

ethanol

Originally posted by TLS2000
                      Fine. You're banned. Stupid redneck piece of shit!
                      http://www.cardomain.com/id/Amick
                      GTP: My list of mods got too long... just click the link

Comment

Originally posted by colinpeddle
                        Lol...

Yeah I know... I was just being stupid... however werent they exploring making ethanol out of some kind of grass... now that we should be able to replace easily LOL

Comment

Originally posted by colinpeddle
                          Lol...

Yeah I know... I was just being stupid... however werent they exploring making ethanol out of some kind of grass... now that we should be able to replace easily LOL
                          I don't know...have you seen the 420 thread in here?

Comment

Switch grass i think it was..

but theres a lot of cons to ethanol. From what I've read, by the time you get it to your tank, it is still quite expensive and hard on the environment and considering the other methods out there, we shouldn't even be bothering to explore it.
                            The Present: 2010 Mazdaspeed3... Zoom Zoom

The Past: 06 G6 GTP Vert: Westers Tune - GT-R Exhaust - Doc's Stage3 CAI+ CRAB O4+K&N - GMPD Strut - RL Street Inserts - CMS Bespoke Vert Lowering Springs - Quicklifts - Enkei FN18's, N3000's 245/45y18 - 35% Tint Around - 4300k HIDs His & Los - Black Headlight bezels - Black Recessed Grills - Pooners Chrome Trim Blackout - Black Overlays on Darts - Avic f700bt

Comment

Ethanol is no good for the environment, the people behind its support are not doing it to be green, it's to sink the "big bad Republican oil companies".

- Black/Black, Leather, Monsoon, Panoramic
                              - Painted Headlights, 35% Tint, Silver Emblem Overlays
                              - DS S3 Intake
                              - CarDomain link: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2907956/1

Comment

Working...
                              X