Changing the activation temp on block heater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing the activation temp on block heater

Newbie question here - I just bought my G6 GTP and love it. I live in Wyoming, and am looking forward to having the block heater for next winter. Question - is there a way to increase the temperature it activates at (ie changing out the temp fuse in the plug)? It says 0F, but could that be changed to 20F? Average temp here is around 10 to 20 in the worst of it, only goes below 0 for short periods. I have the ability to plug it in at work; just hoping that the car would be warm when I was leaving.

Just curious...
    Red LED interior, custom floor & trunk lights - LED marker lights, Spider Lite tail lights (used bulbs instead of resistor -ask me how!) - Formula One Pinnaacle 15% Tint - Hard wired Cobra radar detector - Dr. Speed Stage 3 CAI - next... white face gauges and a custom LED glove box light

For that, what about a remote start and start it 5mins before you leave. I know my g6 with a remote start warms up pretty quick even when in the teens
    2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
    Gotta have it Green color
    Brembo brake package
    420 HP 5.0L
    Ford Racing Power Pack
    GT500 track pack differential cover
    BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

got the remote starter... just asking this for the laziness factor!.

would be nice for the block to warm if i just happen to jump in it.
      Red LED interior, custom floor & trunk lights - LED marker lights, Spider Lite tail lights (used bulbs instead of resistor -ask me how!) - Formula One Pinnaacle 15% Tint - Hard wired Cobra radar detector - Dr. Speed Stage 3 CAI - next... white face gauges and a custom LED glove box light

Comment

i just noticed these are your first posts, Welcome!

To be honest, I really dont think anyone has a block heater on there 6er here, but I understand the convence of the engine warm all ready for you after thinking about it :smoke:
        2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
        Gotta have it Green color
        Brembo brake package
        420 HP 5.0L
        Ford Racing Power Pack
        GT500 track pack differential cover
        BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

I've got a block heater.

I've never used it.

Comment

Originally posted by jnak
            I've got a block heater.

I've never used it.
            I'm the same way with my morals
            Originally posted by TLS2000
            Fine. You're banned. Stupid redneck piece of shit!
            http://www.cardomain.com/id/Amick
            GTP: My list of mods got too long... just click the link

Comment

You have morals?

Comment

I do!

I just never use 'em!
                Originally posted by TLS2000
                Fine. You're banned. Stupid redneck piece of shit!
                http://www.cardomain.com/id/Amick
                GTP: My list of mods got too long... just click the link

Comment

Originally posted by dre256
                  i just noticed these are your first posts, Welcome!

To be honest, I really dont think anyone has a block heater on there 6er here, but I understand the convence of the engine warm all ready for you after thinking about it :smoke:
                  I believe block heaters come standard up here in Canada and I am sure many of the northern states of the US have block heaters in their cars. Maybe one of them can respond to your question. Good luck in your search.

Comment

LOL - didn't think anybody would respoond to this thread. but hey, just wondering if I could change the temp fuse in the plug - having a warm engine would be like having a warm girlfriend! something else i don't have at the moment!

Comment

Originally posted by viper007
                      LOL - didn't think anybody would respoond to this thread. but hey, just wondering if I could change the temp fuse in the plug - having a warm engine would be like having a warm girlfriend! something else i don't have at the moment!

I am not sure why you would need to change what is already set up but hey that is what this site is about Change for change sake no? hehe just teasing
                      A block heater just heats up the engine oil and coolant because cooled oil can not flow as easily (thick like molasses) as warm so this aids in starting your car in the winter. If your temps are as mild as you say I'm not sure how beneficial it would be to change it.

I live in Ontario, Canada and our temps can get pretty darn cold and still I haven't had to plug her in even once in the last few years (that was meant for all cars owned in last few years as I have only had my G6 since Dec.06).....all that global warming crap...not sure...oh also worth a mention. Could be that we use oils meant for colder temps....you could look into that.

Are you having problems starting your car?

Comment

No, no problems. Haven't had to use it yet - bought it less than a month ago. Just wondering if it could be done - for the comfort/laziness factor.

Cold weather oil? u mean just lowering the weight, or is there a specific type? I have conventional in it now, going to switch to synthetic on it's first oil change.

Comment

Originally posted by viper007
                          No, no problems. Haven't had to use it yet - bought it less than a month ago. Just wondering if it could be done - for the comfort/laziness factor.

Cold weather oil? u mean just lowering the weight, or is there a specific type? I have conventional in it now, going to switch to synthetic on it's first oil change.
                          I am not an oil expert by far - I do know there are different oils to use for different temperatures. We change our oil from summer to winter for this reason. I believe it is 10W30 in summer and 5W30 in winter. You can read up on synthetic oils and all that on the web. I have only had one oil change so far and did it at the dealership.

Comment

You can use 5W 30 year round. Some people use 10W 30 in the summer but I would only do that if I was towing a boat or something.

Comment

Originally posted by jnak
                              You can use 5W 30 year round. Some people use 10W 30 in the summer but I would only do that if I was towing a boat or something.
                              Jnak - I think dealerships dont actually change the grade of oil for the season either - didn't ask what was used last week in my oil change but will do that. As said - certainly no expert but used to work for a machinery company and do know at least some stuff gals normally don't - hehe

Comment

Working...
                              X