How-To: Paint the headlight bezels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How-To: Paint the headlight bezels

So I eventually took on the task of painting my headlights to color match my car. It took me months and months to get the courage up to finally do it!! This is kind of a quick walk through to paint the headlights-I didn't have to wetsand between coats at all and the final result had zero orange peel, the paint turned out like glass.

#1. Sanding
    Use some fine sandpaper to do the initial sanding so you don't gouge huge scratches into the plastic. I believe I used 800 grit sandpaper to do the initial sanding. Just remember after sanding to clean the bezels and blow them dry to get rid of any sanding particles that are left on them. This is a pic of the bezel completely (mostly) sanded and ready for primer:

#2. Primer
    Next is to prime the bezels. I used Dupli Color Automotive Paint Primer in the small 5oz cans. I'm sure you could buy a larger 12.5oz can of just regular primer but I wanted to use the automotive paint for everything. Just make sure you cover every part of the bezel completely. I sprayed a total of 2 wet coats and then set them aside to dry. Pics of the bezel primered:

#3. Top Coat-final coat
    Once the primer is dry it's time to spray the top coat or final coat of paint-the actual color you choose. I bought the only can of granite metallic paint in AZ from my Pontiac dealership for a little over $13.00. If you use the paint sparingly you can get away with just one can of paint. Just the same as with the primer I just sprayed 2 wet coats and called it a day. I consider myself a master of the rattle can so if you think you need practice just use a cheap can of paint to get the technique down of spraypainting. Here's a pic of the bezel with the two wet coats of Granite Metallic almost dry:

#4 Clear Coat
    For the clear coat I bought 2 of the 5oz Dupli Color automotive paint Clear Coat. I used the majority of each can for each bezel-so basically one can of clear per bezel. Take your time with the clear coat to make sure you cover every part of the painted bezel and try your hardest to minimize the overspray on other parts you're not painting. I put down an initial coat of clear, let it dry, then did a second heavier coat of clear and that was it-after drying the quality was unbelievable. Here's a couple pics of a finished bezel with the two coats of clear:

Now it's hard to see the difference in shine and deepness of the paint from steps 3 and 4 but in person you wouldn't believe the difference-it's MAJOR!! Just remember to take your time and you shouldn't have to hassle with wetsanding or anything else of that matter.

Here's a requested after shot of the finished headlights:
    TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Also make sure to let the bezels dry completely before putting everything back together, otherwise you might scratch your new paint job.

Comment

^that is very true, I let mine dry overnight then put them back together the next evening-letting them dry even longer would probably be much better.

Just an FYI, I'll also be doing a How-To on resealing the headlights using butyl rubber as opposed to silicone.
      TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

So you did all the coats in one day, and then let everything dry overnight? Or did you leave them a day between the primer and paint?

- Black/Black, Leather, Monsoon, Panoramic
        - Painted Headlights, 35% Tint, Silver Emblem Overlays
        - DS S3 Intake
        - CarDomain link: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2907956/1

Comment

how long did they dry before you put them back

Comment

PrimeGTP-yes I did all the coats in one day with a small amount of drying time in between each step-probably only 30-45 minutes from primer to base to the first coat of clear. Then about an hour for the second coat of clear.

Hudson-I let them dry overnight inside since it was a little chilly outside then they went back together the following evening, it wasn't even 24 hours.

Comment

How does the paint hold-up to the heat generated by the lights? Any sign of bubbling?
              Trust me, I'm a professional!

Comment

looks awesome!
                -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Originally posted by GraniteGrey
                  How does the paint hold-up to the heat generated by the lights? Any sign of bubbling?
                  No signs of bubbling at all, even with the heat here there aren't any problems. I doubt anything will happen with the paint at all but if anything changes I'll post it up in here.

Comment

this may a be a stupid question or may have already been brought up, but does painting these mess up how the light is projected? From what I could see the light is reflected off of this bezel or is it a different piece I may be thinking of?
                    2006 G6 GT
                    Debadged
                    20% Window Tint
                    Painted molded mudflaps
                    DS Stage 4 CAI
                    8000K VVME HIDs Low Beam Conversion
                    Nokya Hyper yellow Fogs
                    Painted Red Calipers

Comment

I didn't notice any difference from painting my lights. I think most of the reflecting is handled by the corrugated part under the headlight, whicih is left unpainted (you can't see it in the pics above)

Comment

Nah the bezel is just a design. The light is reflected off the inner part of the headlight assembly that you can't remove, as well as the part that moves up and down for angle adjustments.
                        -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

True what the two above said. With my HID's I had jets of bright ass light being projected to the sides and towards the rear of the car-don't ask me how but it did. I was thinking after painting these would go away but they didn't so there is no change at all in the projection of the light.

Comment

So Lojac I got a question about re-assembling. I got my lights apart, and i'm scraping off the old rubber(fuck they're has to be an easier way to do this). Where do you suggest to put the new rubber? it comes in like strips like tape, so kinda wrap it around the lens part of the headlight? - so lost
                            2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS T/C
                            Black/Black coupe

Comment

no no, I didn't even take off the old shit. All I did was I heated up the plastic and the old sealant on the backside of the housing-not the lense and bezel (the backside has a channel where the lense pushes into). I then laid the new butyl rubber over that channel, heated that up then pushed the lense with bezel back into the channel and clamed it in place with a few spring clamps. Let me know if you need anything else!

Comment

Working...
                              X