Painted rear valence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painted rear valence

Anyone painted their rear valence yet? Any ideas on how to do it? What paint/process?

I asked a local paint shop for a quote on painting the mirrors, side sills and the rear valence. I'm not sure if they did not want to do it or what. The quote I got is for 646$ Can!

So maybe I can try it myself but I would need information if someone has already done it.
    -Marc

2005 Granite Metallic GT sedan

Im going to look into this as well.. the only problem I see is because its textured and that stupid material, that seems a bit high tho IMO. You could always duplicolor the pieces with colormatch paint.. IDK LOL
    Originally posted by Toyz
    Originally posted by simplyred
    what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
    As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

you could just sand the texture down. i have used duplicolor on some of my interior pieces, and while it wors well and the color matches well, i wouldn't use it on the outside of my vehicle nor would i expect the color to match as perfectly as having it professionaly done.

Comment

your best bet for a good color match may be paintscratch.com
        -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

you also have to look at it like this, the "side skirts" and rear valance arent highly visible pieces like doors, hood, etc... so theres margin for error here and there with those!

Comment

If you go somewhere reputable like Sherwin Williams or a similar place they take your paint code and make the paint to match. As for the price you were quoted, I'm assuming thats with them having to take the pieces off the car or mask everything off. Take the car back and ask them how much it would cost if you just brought the individual pieces in for paint.
            TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Thanks for the info everyone. I like that site paintscratch.com. Maybe the way I'm gonna go.

Yes the price quoted was with them removing and reinstalling the parts. I thought about removing the pieces to have them painted to lower the price but I have not asked them yet. My only problem is with removing the mirrors. You have to remove the inside door panel and I'm less comfortable with that.

Anyone has a how-to on how to remove the inside door panel and/or the outside mirrors?
              -Marc

Comment

There isn't a how to on that but its something thats easily figured out by doing, you just have to slowly start working the door panel off the door then figure out how the thing is held on-goes downhill from there. No one has needed to take their door panels off hence why there is not a How-To yet. YOU could be the first one!!
                TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Take plenty of pics of clips, screws etc haha!!

Comment

v6h.o. painted his mirrors, so you might want to ask him for a how-to on removing the door panels.

Kevin.
                    -Kevin
                    2006 G6 Sedan GT (12/31/2005 - 11/5/2006. RIP)
                    2007 G6 Sedan GTP (finally arrived 1/9/2007)

Comment

Wasnt there someone who changed their door speakers, they would know how to as well!!

Comment

Thanks, I already sent a pm to v6h.o. If and when I do it, I'll take pictures.
                        -Marc

Comment

Another option besides paint if it is an unfinished part is a vinyl dye. SEM makes a great line of good vinyl dyes. A dull gloss coat over it or multiple coats if you want no gloss makes for a tough, flexible, durable finish. It can be used inside and out and a couple of cans plus the cleaner and sandfree ran me under 35 bucks from an online retailer out of PA.

http://www.autostyles.com/sem.htm#Recom ... nyl%20Dyes
                          GNNR

Comment

^ That might have been a better option for the lower grills too.

Anybody think about painting the rear valence and side rockers? I thought about painting them silver to match my front grills, but I don't know if it would like right with the rest of the car being black. I remember there was a special edition Monte Carlo that had a subtle bodykit that was a different color than the car. Looked alright.
                            -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Everytime I look at my car I think that I would like to see them red to match the car. Then I'm like, well the black acctually looks decent and I wonder if red would drag the lines of the car out to much. Mike, I dont think you'd want to go silver with there being no bottom piece on the front (even tho you have the grills). I know that body kit your talking about on the Monte's but it wrapped around the front valance as well

Comment

Working...
                              X