Tire size of GTP Sedan and V6 Sedan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire size of GTP Sedan and V6 Sedan

I was getting my oil changed at the dealership yesterday and was looking at the cars there. I looked at the Tire size of GTP Sedan and V6 Sedan and it said 215/60R18 for the GTP and 225/50R16 for the V6 sedan if I remember right. I really don't know what it means when I read the size other than the 18 or 16. I am actually just curious if the outside diameter of the tire is the same on both vehicles.

Nope. The GTP has a slightly larger diameter.

sigpic
    Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

That cant be right, the GTP has 215 and the V6 has 225? It has to be the opposite.

BTW Metalcore, the first number is width of the tire, the second is the height of the sidewall or profile, the letter is the speed rating, and the last is the wheel size.
      2006 Black GTP Sedan

Comment

The GTP runs the 225/50 R18

Comment

Originally posted by LZ9Ignition
          The GTP runs the 225/50 R18
          I might have gotten them mixed up a little.

Comment

it happens

Comment

Originally posted by GTP80
              That cant be right, the GTP has 215 and the V6 has 225? It has to be the opposite.

BTW Metalcore, the first number is width of the tire, the second is the height of the sidewall or profile, the letter is the speed rating, and the last is the wheel size.
              That might be why then if I got them mixed up.

Comment

GT runs 225 50 17s...

John
                Mine - 2006 Black Grand Prix GXP

Comment

Yeah I just went out and looked. It is the 215/60R16

Comment

Originally posted by GTP80
                    ...the first number is width of the tire, the second is the height of the sidewall or profile, the letter is the speed rating, and the last is the wheel size.
                    Isn't the second number the aspect ratio of height to width, ie 225 * 50% = 112, and the letter means it's radial, the rating is given in the size?

225/50R18Z would be a Z rated 18inch with a profile that's 50% shorter than it is wide.

Comment

So what would be the profile if I got 18s for the 215

Comment

Originally posted by MetalcoreG6
                        So what would be the profile if I got 18s for the 215
                        215/XXR18 ... Depends on the XX... the lower the XX the shorter the profile... I think anything below 50 or 40 most states require an onboard pressure sensor to detect loss of pressure since they are "low profile" tires.

Comment

So the gt 17s and the and the gtp 18s have the same profile? The bigger rim really makes it look a lot lower profile.

Comment

You got it!

Go to google and look up the Miata Tire Size Calculator...

It is AWESOME!

John
                            Mine - 2006 Black Grand Prix GXP

Comment

even my 4 cyl has 225s on it why would a v6 have 215 unless its older
                              2007 G6 2.4L VVT Ecotec- Black Sedan
                              Appearance: Tinted Tails, 15% Tint, Black Calipers, Black Overlays and Eyelids, Black Painted Upper Grills, Blacked out door trim, Flowmaster exhaust tip, G5 GT Wheels, Red Interior LEDs, Red LED Dome, removed front plate, added oem fogs
                              Performance: WAMS 93 ECU and TCM tune, Injen CAI, and Racingline STB
                              Future plans: Red LED Trunk Wiring, Black headlights, exhaust, black rims, eibach springs

Comment

Working...
                              X