Clicking noise from engine??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clicking noise from engine??

Now I've done tons of work on other engines but never messed with this type-3.5......so.....I switched to 10w 30 synthetic Mobil 1 a couple weeks ago and I don't ever remember hearing this "clicking" sound coming from the engine. Seems like this just started within the last couple days-its coming from the left-rear of the engine if you were to look at the engine as it would normally sit with the belts being at the front and the noise at the rear. Anyone have any clue?? It more than anything pisses me off to hear it since the car only has 3100 miles on it, also it seems to only do it when the engine is cold....Thanks guys-I know some of you have extensive knowledge about this engine series.
    TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

you know what... for as long as I can remember, I've heard some noises from the engine. Almost a clicking sound as if the oil were low or something, but I just dissmissed it as engine noise...hmmm...
    Originally posted by Toyz
    Originally posted by simplyred
    what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
    As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

hmmmm, no such noise from mine, both of you have the 3.5?

Comment

I do... its not that its a loud noise by anymeans (mine that is) its just annoying because you can hear it when you concentrate on it. Most people probably wouldnt even notice it. I just figured it to be the belt tensioner or something and never explored where it was comming from.....

Comment

Clicking noises on GM engines is "normal", according to GM.

sigpic
          Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

well I had the 3.1 in my Monte and that was horrible...so thats why I just ignored it.. it hasnt gotten any worse so oh well I guess..

Comment

Yeah I have the extended warranty so I figure if it gets worse I'll just take her into the dealer.
              TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

The thing is, they won't fix it, because it isn't considered a problem by GM.

sigpic
                Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

I just mean if the clicking turns into a larger problem-then I'll take it in. The car doesn't do it all the time though so I guess it's the infamous GM click.

Comment

engine click noise

Brought my wife's G6 to the dealer the other day for a real faint click noise coming from the engine compartment. It was barely audible, you had to close the door to hear it. That told me that it was an EGR solenoid. When they called GM, they said not to do anything about it, it was supposed to be like that.

Comment

LOL, its *supposed* to make a weird clicking noise
                      2005 G6 V6 in granite metallic, Kenwood DDX6019 touch screen DVD radio, 2 12" Kicker Solo-Baric L7s, Dynamat, Orion 2400 amp, Power Acoustik 4F cap, XBOX 360, Chrome window trim, Quicklift kit

Comment

solenoids do click when they are powered, but seriously GM couldn't have found a way to keep the noise from reaching the passenger cabin? and of all things the freaking useless EGR system is the one making noise?

Comment

Umm well I can't say mine is EGR-its from the left rear of the engine-if you were looking at the engine as is should be with the belts being at the front.

Comment

When the engine is cold, the oil is thicker, and can cause "a" lifter or lifters to tick. This is due the lifter not pumping up properly due to the thicker oil. If this is your problem, it's best to let the engine warm up before driving.

Comment

On GPs they used to tick and it was the fuel injectors opening and closing... That is why they put on engine covers with the foam so in muffles the noises...

John
                              Mine - 2006 Black Grand Prix GXP

Comment

Working...
                              X