Suggestions/recomendations for new tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions/recomendations for new tires

Hi all. I will have to buy new summer tires for my car. I'd like a good performance tire that grips well and channel water well but does not fade to fast. Any suggestions/recomendations? I'm still with the original 17" 5 spoke wheels that came with the GT. Thanks.
    -Marc

2005 Granite Metallic GT sedan

Marc, give this link a try.
    http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/home.do

I found some great deals there.

This is a damn good tire for the money :
    http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direc ... 9214&ar=50

Comment

It depends what you want in a tire.. long tread life, straight up performance SUMMER ONLY tire... what are you looking for!
      Originally posted by Toyz
      Originally posted by simplyred
      what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
      As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

It depends what you want in a tire.. long tread life, straight up performance SUMMER ONLY tire... what are you looking for!
        They would be summer only tires since I have winter tires for winter. I want good performance with good tread life. I know it's a compromise between the two.
        -Marc

Comment

Originally posted by vilmar5
          They would be summer only tires since I have winter tires for winter. I want good performance with good tread life. I know it's a compromise between the two.
          If it's treadlife you want, stay away from those Hankooky tires with a 340 treadwear rating. They'll run out of rubber pretty quick. (and an H speed rating? no thanks, I need a stiffer sidewall than that)

Yokohama Avid V4S. 500 treadwear, with a AA traction rating.

Comment

340's not that bad of a number.. with a good tire haha... my kuhmos are all seasons with a 420 and I paid a whole 99.00 each on tire rack just look there, they will be ur best bet to at least get an idea of what ur looking for!

Comment

i was gonna check out some Toyo Proxes when i need new tires. they have a few different ones depending on what style tire you want (performance vs. all season) and they are awesome tires. not sure on prices though.

Comment

My uncle had Toyos and I wasnt impressed at all... another key thing is, what kind of pricerang are u looking to spend you might want to look into a high performance all season tire, they have a better treadlife because they arent summer only, but are still sticky and have good performance ratings.

Comment

So biger number on treadwear means it will last longer, right? It would alson mean that it would grip less?

As for pricerange, here's the deal. When I bought the car on december 2004, I had the original all-seasons removed and stored to put winter tires on. When summer arrived I put the original tires back on. After summer, when I went back to store the original tires, the dealer looked at them and said "Well you're gonna need new tires next summer." WTF, they only have like 12000km on them!?

So I talked with the manager and he says that they will exhange the tires for new ones when I go back to change them. Now I'm not really sure I want a new set of the same originals (I think they're Continentals). So I might be able to pay the difference to have a better performing tire.
                  -Marc

Comment

Yes, the higher the treadwear the "harder" the rubber and less wear you get out of the tire. Unfort, this is a number thats loosely given but still something to consider. Some of those summer only tires have a treadwear of like 100, they are very sticky but wear out really fast! I seriously would just look under tire rack, do some research and see what you can come up with. If your going to use them for summer only than they will last longer, just depends on how many miles you put on them. I drive less than 1000 miles a month and rotate my tires frequently so my summer tires and rims should last for a while at least IMO they should!

Heres the link for the tires I got
                    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... es&place=0

And another allseason performance tire
                    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... es&place=1

Comment

Originally posted by vilmar5
                      So biger number on treadwear means it will last longer, right? It would alson mean that it would grip less?
                      Not a direct correlation. The treadwear rating is simply an indication of how long it will wear when compared to other tires.

The "grip" is reflected in the Traction rating -- C, B, A, AA -- AA being the best. Granted, it's based on wet traction.

The Yokos got a AA traction rating even with a 500 treadwear rating (~60K miles). Compared to the Scumtinentals that we got with the car, these tires deserve the rating they have.

Comment

The methods behind the UTGQ ratings are as bad as EPA gas milage ratings.

The traction rating only represents the tire's ability to stop on wet pavement as measured under controlled conditions on specified government test surfaces of asphalt and concrete. The traction grade assigned on each tire is based on straight-ahead braking traction tests, and does not include acceleration, cornering, hydroplaning, or peak traction characteristics.

The treadwear is just how long it last on a certain government course. So a tire with a rating of 200 will last twice as long compared to a tire with a rating of 100, on the government course.

Only good for comparison amongst other tires
                        Not a G6 owner... yet.

Comment

Working...
                        X