• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death of the GTO

Pontiac will drop the GTO this year

Jamie LaReau

Automotive News / February 21, 2006 - 10:08 am

DETROIT -- General Motors has told Pontiac dealers that it will discontinue the GTO coupe at the end of this model year. GM will make the last deliveries of the vehicle to dealers by the end of September, sources close to Pontiac say.

GM will produce 10,000 to 12,000 more GTOs before dropping the nameplate, one source close to the situation says. Last year, Pontiac sold 11,590 GTOs compared to 2004 when it sold 13,569. That's a 14.6 percent drop.

When Pontiac launched the GTO in 2003, it projected 18,000 annual sales. The vehicle was criticized for bland styling, and some fans of the original GTO complained that it lacked nostalgic styling cues.

A Pontiac spokesman confirms the GTO will be discontinued after the 2006 model year.

“There are some changes in the federal regulatory standards. One is an airbag deployment standard that would require some very expensive re-engineering of the car,” says Jim Hopson, Pontiac spokesman. “Since the architecture of this car is being phased out around the world it’s not economically feasible to continue this car.”

Pontiac will continue to build the GTO through the end of May, Hopson says. The last “boatload will hit the ground in June”, he adds.

The GTO first came to dealerships in December 2003 as a 2004 model, Hopson says.

The GTO is built on a rear-wheel drive architecture from GM's Holden division in Australia. The present model is going out of production as GM constructs the new Zeta RWD architecture, says the source.

There is no replacement coupe planned at this time and because of the strong Australian and weak U.S. dollar, the GTO had to be priced thousands over where GM originally wanted it -- in the mid-twenties, the source says. "It never did as much volume as we had hoped," the source says.

Pontiac is considering a replacement in the lineup for a RWD performance vehicle, but does not have anything to announce yet, Hopson says.

The GTO suggested retail price starts at $31,990, including shipping. One GM source says, "the 2005 and 2006 were pretty well sold out, and sales were especially strong in areas of GM weakness, like Southern California. It's a shame it has to go -- for now."
    -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

hmmmm. i knew i should got one of them...could buy one that only has 3000 miles on it though

Comment

I think they look stylish. . . . shrug are a little expensive though.
      ~ Nick
      ----------------
      2006 Silver GT Coupe

Originally posted by noRulez
      Whenever a car is parked too close to a curb an Angel gets AIDS.

Comment

I would have bought one...

But I'm in Canada..

And they never sold it here..

And it can't be imported without major modifications made to it..

To put a positive spin on this, GM is rumoured to have a stable mate for the new Camaro. It may be named GTO, or it may be named Firebird.

If Firebird comes back, it's rumoured that GTO will be the upper level trim on the RWD Grand Prix when it's produced.

sigpic
        Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

They are cancelling it, that's sad. Remember that they are at the whims of Holden. If Holden changes the Monaro then the GTO has to change too, and it might not look like a pontiac product anymore.

As for GTO's. I have 5 2005's brand new priced around $30,000 after all mods

and 1 2006 GTO.
          3.5L, 17"'s;Intake;Coated battery tray engine cover and exhaust shield;Nokya Highs Lows Fogs;Red Interior Lights and trunk;Red Neons;Shaved trunk emblems and filled front emblem;CF Door Pillars and handles;CF shift knob, dash, guages, and door kit;CF speakers; XM;GTP Fascia and Dual exhaust.

Comment

It will be interesting to see how this all unfolds. Sucks we have to wait til 08...

Thank goodness for spy shots!
            2006 G6 GTP Coupe
            :: Doctor Speed Turbo Kit ::
            :: Decals by RK Vinyl :: <-- Check out the newly redesigned store!!
            :: GT-R Exhaust ::

Comment

Originally posted by Psykostevo
              Remember that they are at the whims of Holden. If Holden changes the Monaro then the GTO has to change too, and it might not look like a pontiac product anymore.
              Umm.. GM owns Holden, so whatever GM wants, they get. Holden discontinued Monaro, as well.

sigpic
              Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

Hopefully the redesigned GTO is much better in appearance, I've talked to a lot of people who were severely disappointed in the GTO's appearance.
                TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

I was thinking about getting a 06 GTO or soltice instead of my G6 GTP coupe, The solstice to hard to get hold of. The GTO was alil more than I wanted to spend and though the G6 had a nicer interor and alot cheaper on insurance. But still ashame to see it come and go
                  2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
                  Gotta have it Green color
                  Brembo brake package
                  420 HP 5.0L
                  Ford Racing Power Pack
                  GT500 track pack differential cover
                  BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

G6 has a nicer interior than the GTO?

sigpic

Comment

The GTO has a more sporty interior, with lesser commodities.
                      -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

I think the G6 GTP with the leather package so the seats say GTP is a nicer interor than the GTO interor even though the seats also say GTO. I think the GTO interor is HOT how you can get diffrent color leather options and cant with the G6 but the radio and everything I think looks like cheap plastic and is kind of plain and not though of well. Even though G6 has alot of platic too I dont think looks cheap and a better though went into it with the lay out.
                        2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
                        Gotta have it Green color
                        Brembo brake package
                        420 HP 5.0L
                        Ford Racing Power Pack
                        GT500 track pack differential cover
                        BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

Unfortunately for me, I haven't been able to see the interior of the GTO in person. I know that I thought it looked amazing in pictures.

sigpic

Comment

GTO= the suxxord!!!

They need to burn the whole "GTO File" and start all over again. MAybe they (Pontiac) should have an "Exciting" field trip and go to FoMoCo's design studio and watch them draw up a mustang... or fire the CHevy guys who worked on the New Camaro and rehire them to do the GTO. :smoke:

One thing I will hand to the GTO is the fact that it doesn't share a single part from GM's part's bin for USA. The interior is and always will be to die for.
                            Straight up Pimp Trollin'
                            2006 Silver MazdaSpeed 6 Grand Touring Sedan
                            w/ Real Working BOV Action!!!11!

"Zoom Zoom + 6psi Bitches!"

Comment

How do you feel about the possibility that the next GTO will be a quad-coupe?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X