Baking paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baking paint?

If you remember well, back in November/December I painted my interior trim pieces cobalt blue metallic to match my exterior. Since then I've only had one increasingly problematic issue - my door handles. So since I've had some downtime, I pulled my door handles (AGAIN!) and repainted them. I remember reading SOMEWHERE about baking painted parts in an old toaster oven to basically solidify the coats and eliminate issues with chipping. I want to do this, since the door handles are the most handled part in the car, and are most prone to chipping.

Anyone able to provide any advice on temperatures and/or times for baking paints? I've seen 125° on the web in some places, and I've seen 325° in others.

Also, are there any inherent risks with baking paints out of a rattle can? Risks such as explosion, fire, or toxic fumes? Or is the paint out of a rattle can as "heat stable" as traditional paints...

Finally, I would think ideally I should bake between after having put all the color coats down, so then I could wet sand, and then proceed with clear coats (and then bake after each individual clear coat) to provide maximum durability for wetsanding. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your responses peeps.
    2009 PONTIAC G8
    MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

I honestly not sure about the proper temps, but with that many heat cycles you are looking at possibly making your handles very brittle. I would get a pair set for your baking endeavors.
    Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

anybody else have any insight on this?
      2009 PONTIAC G8
      MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

I think baking metal would work for some plastic type paints such as the
        Siliconized polyester baked-on enamel paint but I would wager those plastic trim pieces would melt.
        Just put a ton of clear on it....?

If your talking about powder coating ...thats 160 to 210 degrees.

To find out more about powder coating and its applications, contact The Powder Coating Institute at 1-800-988-COAT.

here are a few companies that may have an answer for you.
        Painting Services: Plastic manufacturers, service companies and distributors are listed in this trusted and comprehensive vertical portal. The comprehensive directory provides access to full contact and ability information for sourcing professionals, engineers and researchers wishing to get information on Painting Services: Plastic.
        Please consider supporting G6P -Tap here

MODS:
        Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
        WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

Comment

Originally posted by Lampoon
          I think baking metal would work for some plastic type paints such as the
          Siliconized polyester baked-on enamel paint but I would wager those plastic trim pieces would melt.
          Just put a ton of clear on it....?
          Thats what I was thinking.. I would load on the clear in good coats of course but that would def help with the wear and tear. Also giving the clear a good amount of time inbetween coats to cure and a good amount of time after the last coat to cure!
          Originally posted by Toyz
          Originally posted by simplyred
          what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
          As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

Working...
          X