tinting tailights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tinting tailights

wut's up everyone. just wanted to know how i go about tinting or "smoking" out my tailights? any tips on how i can do it myself?

Niteshades from Summit Racing.com
    Originally posted by Toyz
    Originally posted by simplyred
    what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
    As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

GTPGuy tinted his
      2005 G6 V6 in granite metallic, Kenwood DDX6019 touch screen DVD radio, 2 12" Kicker Solo-Baric L7s, Dynamat, Orion 2400 amp, Power Acoustik 4F cap, XBOX 360, Chrome window trim, Quicklift kit

Comment

yea, and let me tell you it's a biatch. Make sure they're smooth as hell...the process is NOT like painting. You can't wait for the tint to dry then spray on more. You need to constantly spray until you get it as dark as you want it, then STOP, but not too much so that it runs. Then let them dry for about 4-6 hours. Clearcoat is optional to offer better protection.

I redid mine, they're almost completely black now. Don't have any pics yet though.
        -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

well definately post some when you got them. what did you use to tint them? i have heard good things about niteshade, never personally tried it though so i can't say.

Comment

I did my buddies tails on his cougar.. and just like mike said.. get it the color you want and stop. It will more than likely have some texture to it but not to bad. Clean the tailight good and go at it this is my buddies cougar.. His are really REALLY dark haha!

Comment

Haha man those look awesome, does the red still shine through?
              2005 G6 V6 in granite metallic, Kenwood DDX6019 touch screen DVD radio, 2 12" Kicker Solo-Baric L7s, Dynamat, Orion 2400 amp, Power Acoustik 4F cap, XBOX 360, Chrome window trim, Quicklift kit

Comment

I remember that cougar from my NECO days haha.

I used NiteShades, and I also tried another product..I think it was called Window Spray Tint. The taillights will come out a lot better looking, but this product is harder to apply. You have to spray a lot on, and let it run down the light. Eventually it flattens out, and the lights look they came from the factory tinted, not just a coat of tint that you added.
                -Mike #1

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Comment

The red BARELY shines thru, I wouldnt recommend doing them that dark. He gets pulled over frequently but most of the time gets off cuz he says he's visiting from a Military Base so the cops here let him off.

Comment

cool.. thanx for the help. so i basically sand it down and get it real smooth then start sprayin away until i get the color i want? one last quick question. when i start spraying.. i only paint the tailight and not the cover correct? kinda like the same process when painting the headlights black. sand all that is silver and paint it... not the cover.

Comment

what cover? The plastic piece that is attached to the tallight? That comes off.
                      -Mike #1

Comment

so you mean just paint the tailight as a whole? just tape around the tailight and spray it. no sanding down or anything? i thought the tailights were like the headlights where you have to take it apart then paint what needs to be painted. i hope i'm getting this right and not confusing you.

Comment

Well first off, is your car black?? I dont think it would look all that great tinted if the car wasnt black... but thats just me. But if your cars black or want to do it anyways, I would take off the whole tail light assembly off the car and mask off the reverse lights and spray them down. No sanding should be needed just a good clean should do the job. After you spray them and let them dry completly then slap them back on and take some pics! If you try to spray them on the car and its not masked the right way you end up with a butload of overspray on your car and then you just made yourself another job to do. Buuuut make sure when you spray them you take your time and do it right because once its on its on lol...

Comment

i got it now.. thanx for the help. and yea.. my car is black. i'll be sure to post up some pics once i'm done. do you know where i can buy the Niteshades?

Comment

http://www.summitracing.com is where I've got it before. Might want to try ebay but its not that expensive from summit (under 20 last I knew)

Comment

Working...
                              X