Rock hit windshield and cracked it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rock hit windshield and cracked it!

Well I should have known this would happen, everytime I go on a trip to Ottawa (to see my Sens play the Habs) the vehicle we take ends up having some sort of rock damage...damn Transport trucks!!!!! I knew it was a risk but you can't not drive your car and enjoy it for fear this will happen. I still have the drive back to Toronto tonight to see if anymore damage is done. I think my insurance will cover this mostly - but unsure If I should just get the chip filled and endure the crack till it is worse or just replace the windshield right away. It happened near on the lower passenger side, if the rock had hit a tiny bit higher it would just have bounced off the wiper blades but no!!! lol - anyhow....I guess my car has been marked now! Once I decide what to do about the damage I will let you know how the process went. I have to go in for an oil change when I get home anyhow...I am almost at 6000 kilometers so I think it is due...but the car has not shown oil change needed yet.

So what do you think....replace windshield right away or drive with it the way it is for now?
    Wait till the crack is bigger then replace
    0%
    Replace Now
    0%

I'm waiting until my crack spreads all the way out.
    BMG Cofounder who happens to be a Petrolsexual
    ^ The Man
    v The Legend

Comment

if it is small enough... get it filled ASAP
      Originally posted by TLS2000
      Fine. You're banned. Stupid redneck piece of shit!
      http://www.cardomain.com/id/Amick
      GTP: My list of mods got too long... just click the link

Comment

Originally posted by jonnycat
        I'm waiting until my crack spreads all the way out.
        That'll just take a little weight gain. When that happens, the plumber butt will come right along.

sigpic
        Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

On topic: Ratskat, if it's cracked, and can't be repaired, you need to replace the windshield. The windshield is a major part of the structural integrity of your car, and having a 'vert, it'll be very important to make sure that it's in good order.

(Plus, the OPP will pull you over and give you a ticket for driving an unsafe vehicle)

sigpic
          Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

If it's small enough to get repaired then do that, but if you can't then get it replaced.

Comment

I was just speaking to a guy who knows cars and he said that since the chip starts in the black bottom part of the windshield it is most likely I can't have it filled as they need to be able to see through when fixing it. I will go to a windshield place when I get back to Toronto but looks like I may be replacing it right away.

Comment

Doesnt our windshield have the radio anttena built into it? I know the non convertabels I thought do, thats why theres that black screen on the top of them and no antenna
                2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
                Gotta have it Green color
                Brembo brake package
                420 HP 5.0L
                Ford Racing Power Pack
                GT500 track pack differential cover
                BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

The 'verts have an antenna on the rear driver's side of the car. The sedans and coupes have it integrated into the rear windshield. It's the verticle stripes in the defogger.

sigpic

Comment

General rules for windshields are
                    if the crack/chip is shorter than a dollar or smaller than a quarter then get it filled
                    if the crack makes a sudden bend, replace.
                    if the crack or chip (that will start a crack) starts at the edge of the windshield, replace.

My Progression Page: click here

Comment

The 'verts have an antenna on the rear driver's side of the car. The sedans and coupes have it integrated into the rear windshield. It's the verticle stripes in the defogger.
                      I didnt know that, thought it was the black on the front windshield. I learned my one thing today and know can go back to sleep :P
                      2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
                      Gotta have it Green color
                      Brembo brake package
                      420 HP 5.0L
                      Ford Racing Power Pack
                      GT500 track pack differential cover
                      BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

Originally posted by Rannin Ravensight
                        if the crack/chip is shorter than a dollar or smaller than a quarter then get it filled
                        if the crack or chip (that will start a crack) starts at the edge of the windshield, replace.
                        Well the chip is in the lower black part of the windshield and the crack that follows it is about 9 inches long...NO crack's (Pun intended) about the nine inches

Comment

Originally posted by ratskat
                          Well the chip is in the lower black part of the windshield and the crack that follows it is about 9 inches long...NO crack's (Pun intended) about the nine inches
                          mines 10
                          They cleaned my thing out
                          g6p memer 22

rip pbm 04 gto 7/7/09

1999 chevy s 10 xtreme
                          2007 honda vtx1300

Comment

Originally posted by keith87
                            mines 10
                            Mine hooks to the left.

- Black/Black, Leather, Monsoon, Panoramic
                            - Painted Headlights, 35% Tint, Silver Emblem Overlays
                            - DS S3 Intake
                            - CarDomain link: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2907956/1

Comment

Originally posted by PrimeGTP
                              Originally posted by keith87
                              mines 10
                              Mine hooks to the left.
                              i taught mine tricks,
                              They cleaned my thing out
                              g6p memer 22

rip pbm 04 gto 7/7/09

1999 chevy s 10 xtreme
                              2007 honda vtx1300

Comment

Working...
                              X