Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radio controls in Steering wheel

Hello,
    I have an '06 V6 Sedan with 6 CD changer and a 3 spoke steering wheel and was wondering if the wiring for the radio controls is available so I could get the control switch and install it. I've had luck with my other cars when it came to adding options that were not available in my model, like trip computers and fog lamps. The wiring was available and with some cutting and trimming you can get things to fit and actually work. Some times you need to be pretty brave and adventureous!
    Any input would be appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Jay
    Jay
    '06-G6-V6

Investigation to begin soon

I just love answering my own questions (or in this case typing to myself).

During the Thanksgiving long weekend I'm going to pop off the plastic piece on the steering wheel that covers the spot were the radio controls go and see what's there. I'll proceed from there.

I'll keep you (whoever is listening) posted on what I find.
    Jay
    '06-G6-V6

Comment

I remember when Ryan did this to his Grand Am, he had to actually buy a different steering wheel & airbag parts. Apparently there was a small difference in the way something was wired or mounted (I forget which one).
      2006 G6 GTP Coupe
      :: Doctor Speed Turbo Kit ::
      :: Decals by RK Vinyl :: <-- Check out the newly redesigned store!!
      :: GT-R Exhaust ::

Comment

Kyle,

Appreciate the feedback.
        I hope it's not that involved! Sounds like Ryan's situation was a lot of effort and expense. I'm new to this forum and I do not know all the people, can you give me the user name for Ryan and I can PM him to ask him the specifics of his installation?

Thanks.

Jay
        Jay
        '06-G6-V6

Comment

He's not on this forum, but you may know who I'm talking about. He's the guy the owns GrafxWerks.com. I think there may have been a write up in the n-body.net tech section about the modifications needed. I remember he had posted it somewhere.
          2006 G6 GTP Coupe

Comment

Ryan's website

Kyle,
            I checked out the websites you mentioned. I like some of the decals! I may even order the third tail light decal that displays "Pontiac G6". Anyway, best I can tell he added a Clarion Radio to his car and that comes with a remote control that can mount to the steering wheel.
            I'm hoping to be able to use the factory radio controls that come with the GTP radio in my base V6 G6. I like to stay as original as possible.
            Thanks for the input.
            Jay
            '06-G6-V6

Comment

Bad News on Radio Control

Well I removed the plastic covering on the steering wheel where the radio controls would go and I couldn't see any connectors or wiring that would accept the radio controls. I actually wasn't able to get the entire plastic cover off the steering column but I was able to move it enough to see behind it and determine there was nothing there.
              So for now I'm puttng this project on hold. There are two more possibilities I need to explore. One being the wiring is farther down in the steering column and the switch comes with a long umbilical cord or the controls are RF. Now that I think about it, RF is probable not likely since that would require a power source and like I said I didn't see any connectors.
              Jay
              '06-G6-V6

Comment

That is wierd that there wasn't even a connector. Sound like some real modification will be needed.. or at least more in-depth.

I think that you are probably accurate with the theory about it being a long cord that connects further down (maybe even all the way to the back of the radio :cry: ). I guess that would make sense.. no sense for them to put additional wires in the if they aren't necessary.
                2006 G6 GTP Coupe

Comment

More research

I was expecting to see a connector there but there's still hope with the pigtail on the radio switch theory.
                  The next phase will be to get a look at the actual steering wheel mounted Radio switch assembly to see if there is indeed a pigtail connector. I'll have to make some calls to some Pontiac dealers to see if their service\parts departments can work with me on this. I'm not going to hold my breath, typically they know less about the car then the owners do, at least when it comes to these types of modifications.
                  Would anyone know a good parts place on the web that might help with this research? I guess the first thing is to determine the part number for this switch. So far all I have is the option number when you order the car (UK3)
                  Thanks.
                  Jay
                  '06-G6-V6

Comment

Missing Wires

Well I dug into it and finally got the darn silver cover off the steering wheel. There is a torx screw that holds it in place but you don’t get at it from the back of the steering wheel!
                    I first removed the top plastic piece on the neck of the steering column (just snaps right off). I then removed the 3 hex head screws that hold on the bottom plastic piece of the steering column (they are accessible from underneath). Once the bottom piece is worked clear you can get at the 3 torx screws that hold on the steering wheel plastic backing piece in place. Once they are removed you can pull back the plastic backing and get your fingers in there and move things around. At this point I was able to see the torx screw that was holding the silver cover in place. I worked my torx screwdriver in between the silver piece and the front horn cover and unscrewed the torx screw. After that she came right off.
                    Anyway… There is no wiring back there! There is a connector that connects the Cruise control and it’s only about ½ populated with wires. The Radio control switch wires might wire into that connector but there was no open plug or capped plug to accept anything. I guess I’m going to need to see the actual switch to see how it interfaces to the harness. I might need a wiring diagram if I’m going to need to rewire the connector that is currently going only to the cruise control switch. I guess I was hoping this would be easier then this.
                    Jay
                    '06-G6-V6

Comment

This is the same situation I encountered with the Grand Am. The first thing I would do is grab a copy of the service manual and ensure the wiring is in place from the radio to the steering column. In the Grand Am, it was already pre-wired up to the base of the column, but the wires simply were not part of the "SIR Coil".

If you can find a wrecked G6 that had the controls, you'd be all set, and I bet you could get a pretty good price - the wheel and the SIR Coil arent exactly popular items I wouldnt think.

Cheers,

- Ryan

Comment

SIR Coil?

What's the SIR Coil?
                        Jay
                        '06-G6-V6

Comment

I'm with Jayco?? :!: :
                          TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

I'm assuming no more info has been found about the radio steering controls??
                            TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Definitely keep us updated on this situation. This will be a must do mod. for me, if it doesn't entail a ton of rewiring.

I love my new G6, but one thing I totally miss about my old '92 Bonneville is having the convenient stereo controls right on the steering wheel. That was actually the main reason why I never replaced the Bonneville stock tape deck with an aftermarket CD player. I didn't want to lose that functionality.
                              -Kevin
                              2006 G6 Sedan GT (12/31/2005 - 11/5/2006. RIP)
                              2007 G6 Sedan GTP (finally arrived 1/9/2007)

Comment

Working...
                              X