How to Paint Side Skirts (complete)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Paint Side Skirts (complete)

Doing this was a little trouble but with the right tools and patience you can get it done in a weekend. TAKE YOUR TIME. DO NOT RUSH

Taking the skirts off can be a little tricky. You will need...

Panel puller
    7mm socket
    7mm wrench
    small flat screwdriver

There are screws on the ends of each skirt in the fender well...

After those are removes use your panel puller to pry the panel clips from the top. the bottom ones can be turned 90* to pull them out. Here is what it looks like from behind.

Note: Don't worry if you break some clips you can get something that will work at Auto Zone for about $4. I used 1/2" vinyl rivets.

For the valence there are also 7mm screws in the fender well. After those are out there are three 7mm screws inside the bumper. those need to come out.

After that is removed you need to take out the four vinyl rivets underneath the valence.

The rest is held on by clips made into the valence. If you push your flat head screwdriver in these clips they easlily can be removed.

To paint you will need to go to you local paint supply store and get...

Degreaser and wax remover
    Adhesion promoter (do not skip this step)
    Paint (your paint code is in the glove box) 1/2 pint
    Reducer (enough for paint and clear coat)
    1 pint clear coat
    400 grit sand paper
    2000 grit sand paper
    Sandable Primer
    Reducer for primer
    Sealant

I'm not an expert at painting so the paint supply store will be able to tell you how to paint your pieces. Just take your time and it will come out great.

First thing you need to do is get all of the oil and wax off the parts. Simple green works great with a scrub brush. Then you need to use the wax remover/ degreaser. It comes in a big can. Use a lot.

Next you need to apply two nice coats of adheasion promoter. This is a clear primer. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP

After the promoter use your sandable primer. This is mixed with a 1:1 ratio. This dries quickly so you don't have to wait around too long after it dries.

Next sand all of your parts with 400 grit sanpaper just to scuff them. A light sand goes well unless you have drips.

Now take tac cloth and get all of the dust off.

Next spray your sealant. I think this is a 7:1 ratio but ask your paint supplier. This will take over night to dry so STOP.

The next day you can paint. Three good coats of color, not letting them dry in between coats should do it. Make sure you get the parts that will be showing when you look down at them while they are on your car.

Next is you clear. My clear was 2:1 ratio but yours may be different. Again ask your paint supplier.

Let dry....

Now take the 2000 grit sand paper and wet sand all of the imperfections in the paint. Everything goes on opposite from taking it off. I put a blanket down so the parts don't get scuffed on the cement.

Good Luck.

Before...

After...

Ryan Romero

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2439593/1

so this is more a how- to on removing the side skirts and rear valance seeing as theres no painting being done or shown... or are you going to post that stuffl later on?!
    Originally posted by Toyz
    Originally posted by simplyred
    what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
    As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

Yea I got tired of writing.
      Ryan Romero

Comment

a few questions:
        why do you need to use the reducer?
        what is a panel puller and why is it important?
        when do you apply the adhesion promoter?
        if you had the GM ground effects, would there be any reason to do this?

OH sorry, I started writting before I saw the above. shine on you crazy diamond.

My Progression Page: click here

Comment

Originally posted by Rannin Ravensight
          a few questions:
          why do you need to use the reducer?
          what is a panel puller and why is it important?
          when do you apply the adhesion promoter?
          if you had the GM ground effects, would there be any reason to do this?
          The reducer is to make the paint come through the sprayer. (maybe I should have mentioned you will need a sprayer, eveporator, nad and air compressor.)

The panel puller is imprtant so you don't break as many clips holding the side skirts on.

Apply adheasion promoter after you have cleaned the parts thoroghly and used the degreaser/ wax remover. It is a clear primer used to make paint stick to plastic.

Since the GM ground effects come pre painted there is no reason to do this and the install price is included when you buy them.
          Ryan Romero

Comment

Thank you, sorry for interupting your write up

My Progression Page: click here

Comment

Originally posted by Rannin Ravensight
              Thank you, sorry for interupting your write up
              Its cool.
              Ryan Romero

Comment

nice write up, I'll be looking forward to seeing some painted pics!!
                TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Originally posted by LoJac963
                  nice write up, I'll be looking forward to seeing some painted pics!!
                  they're on page 2 of his other thread

http://www.g6performance.com/forum/view ... 5&start=15

Comment

that looks really good ! Nice work !!
                    06' GT
                    Stealth Grey Metallic Clearcoat
                    67" Chevelle SS 396
                    Deep Plum Metallic

Comment

Looks good, almost like getting a body kit for free!

If I have a few days of free time during the summer, I may do it even though my car is black. I hate the way the rear-valence looks so cheap.

- Black/Black, Leather, Monsoon, Panoramic
                      - Painted Headlights, 35% Tint, Silver Emblem Overlays
                      - DS S3 Intake
                      - CarDomain link: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2907956/1

Comment

Re: How to Paint Side Skirts (complete)

@rpromero - thanks alot this is exactly what i needed !

Comment

Re: How to Paint Side Skirts (complete)

I know its been about 2 years, but how does the paint job look now that it has been such a long time. did it chip or anything due to rocks and what not?

Comment

Working...
                          X