Ragingfish's Latest Creation!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ragingfish's Latest Creation!

I was bored today, and after using my notebook in the car yesterday for navigational purposes, I started browsing the internet for some sort of ideal solution to let my computer sit on the seat, but be held in place so it didn't go flying anytime I stopped or turned sharply. My solution prior to now had been to wrap the seatbelt around the screen. Not only was I uneasy about that because I was afraid a sharp enough turn might cause the screen to jerk in a not-so-nice way, but it also obstructed my view of on-screen maps, which, when in motion, needed to be easy to see in as short a time as possible.

So I found other things on the internet for over $100, and they did what I wanted, but also lots more than I wanted. And for the love of god, they cost over $100! I saw another guy had made a dash-mounted notebook rack, and the way he made that gave me some thoughts.

I had some cut pieces of modular shelving left over from when we reorganized our closets this past summer, as well as a cart on wheels that was years old, and didn't stay together anymore. Taking those, and a few hours and some patience, I finally developed what I think is a pretty slick solution. It compensates for the slope in the bucket of the seat to keep the PC level. All I need to do to secure my computer is secure the "rack" to the seat by affixing a bungee to each end, and wrapping it around the rear of the seat. The raised sides on the other parts of the rack keep the PC from sliding forward or towards the door, and the rubber feet on the bottom of the computer fall into the holes in the grid, which keeps it from flying towards me, while still making all the buttons accessible. The open grid in the shelving also leaves the back USB ports accessible for the GPS antenna, and on the side, I was able to cut a heavier shelf in such a fashion that the CD drive can open and pop through the grid, without compromising the integrity of the side support system.

I'm not usually good at these things, but I have to admit, I'm pretty damn impressed with my finished product!!!

Oh, and the cost? Well, one could probably make something similar for less than $20. All that is used is shelving and - god's gift to mankind - plastic zip ties.

Some pics:

The rack in the seat:

The bungee that holds it in place:

Notebook PC in place:

Some other rack shots that show you how it is assembled:

The DVD/CD drive can still be accessed without removing the computer from the rack:

The back USB port can still be accessed to allow the GPS antenna to be connected:

As always, I apologize for the ever-so-shitty quality of my camera in low-light conditions. I'll try to get some better pics in the daytime tomorrow.
    2009 PONTIAC G8
    MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

thats pretty cool...i say your paint it all black so it fits in with the car
    what makes a decision right or wrong is what happens after that decision is made -Marv Levy

'07 GT coupe, black with black rolling on black(crome) The Original

Comment

^ I agree

or get some black plastic dip stuff, so it will be rubberized
      Originally posted by TLS2000
      Fine. You're banned. Stupid redneck piece of shit!
      http://www.cardomain.com/id/Amick
      GTP: My list of mods got too long... just click the link

Comment

Originally posted by beitodesstrafe
        ^ I agree

or get some black plastic dip stuff, so it will be rubberized
        haha!

i was already thinking that!
        2009 PONTIAC G8
        MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

Duplicolor truck bed liner works just as good and much easier to use, fyi.

My Progression Page: click here

Comment

one word.....garmin??
            TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Garmin - $300
              usb gps device - $100

Comment

^ With cost comes performance.

Nice idea

Comment

but if you're already using your lappy in your car....

Comment

Thats an excellent idea!.
                    I don't use my laptop in the car for GPS. I'm on the road a lot and sometimes I need internet access. I have a small power adapter that fits under the seat to power my Dell.
                    You would be surprised to see how many unsecured internet connections there are. :smoke:
                    G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
                    Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
                    Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
                    20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

Good work.

Comment

nice job ragin - until we got our garmin we used the laptop for gps as well...although I find the software we had isnt as good as what is in the garmin. When we drive together I let hubbie drive my car so I was the one always holding the bloody laptop hehe...and I don't want to be painted black or dipped in plastic coating....anyway all joking aside...great job...serves what you need and didn't cost you much..way to go.

Comment

form follows function ... I love it ... very innovative and it looks like it works awesome... +1 on the painting it to match ...

Good work
                          sigpic

Comment

good idea dude, is that a E1505? I got one, it works, but I don't think it was worth how much it cost!

I take road trips alot, I'm gonna go out and get some of these peices!
                            2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS T/C
                            Black/Black coupe

Comment

Originally posted by jerrodmann
                              good idea dude, is that a E1505?
                              yeah man!

fully loaded too!

it was a bit overpriced, but if i get 6 years out of it or more (i got 6 years out of my piece of shit gateway before i couldn't deal with it anymore) it will have been worth the investment.

here's to accidental damage protection too, i've had an entirely new machine AND since then, had the screen hinge, front media keys, and a bunch of other things replaced at no cost. i'm clumsy, i drop it alot.
                              2009 PONTIAC G8
                              MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

Working...
                              X