Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First oil change, oil filter adapter question

Hi.

Before I go into my rant about my oil change, let me preface that by saying "Hello," as this is my first post here. I just bought an '06 3.5L w/31K miles and the 5/100K warranty; paid $11.3K out the door (and I live in WA, which has 8.6% sales tax).

Anyway, not knowing how long this car has been on the lot, I decided to change the oil (Mobil 1) and filter (Bosch Premium). Looking down at the bottom of the engine, I'm quite happy to see the vertically mounted filter...less mess, right? Wrong! None of my oil filter wrenches fit in the spot and the couple of "cup" adapters I have for my ratchet don't work either. Had to pretty much destroy the filter by jamming a screw driver through it and cranking on it.

So...does anybody know where I can get/what the size is of a cup adapter for this filter? I looked at Wallyworld and Schucks, but no luck.

One more thing: Never had a car with an OLM. Should I trust it with regards to synthetics to go longer intervals? I'm not a big fan of 3K/3M oil change intervals...BITOG sort of got me over that. However, I've heard this OLM set up uses an algorithm and I'm wondering if I shouldn't just stick to my typical 6K/6M OCI.

Thanks,

Cougar Vibe

First off, Welcome!

I'm not sure what size the oil filter is off the top of my head, but my filter wrench fits mine fine. Not sure if the 3.5L uses a different filter than the 3.9 though.

On the second question, you'll find people here either a) go with their regular oil change intervals (I go 5,000 km or just over 3,000 miles) or b) follow the OLM. I think you'll be fine either way.

Comment

yea the filters are different on the 3.5/3.9

i dont know what the 3.9 takes, but 3.5 gets a pf47.

as to the OPer. prying an oil filter off with a screwdriver? you sound like you could get a job at jiffy lube

i bought a wrench that goes on the end of a socket. got it from advance auto. i find with some aftermarket filters that they dont have the grooves on the end like the OEM filters, so i just use those, no biggy.

11.3k on an 06? does that seem cheap to anyone? good buy, hopefully

as for the DIC, everyone has their own opinion, and opinions are a dime a dozen. for me, i use mobil 1 syn, and generally go about 6000mi before a change. the DIC usually reads about 25%.
      -Lucy-
      2006 Silver Gt Coupe
      3.5 l v6, alloy 17"s
      sun and sound package, leather package.

Cardomain Site:
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2663987

Comment

Youve probably got the oil change down but just incase here are instructions
        Read it.
        BCG Member #1::G6er Elite

Comment

I just use a boa constrictor strap wrench to loosen the oil filter. The flexible strap makes it easy to adjust.
          2006 Fusion Orange G6 GTPOS Coupe 6MT ~ #75
          Vision Bulbs 6000k HID Xenon low beams

Comment

^ That's what I used to get the factory one off, just don't over tighten it when you put the new one on and you won't ever need one again. But I'm sure you are well aware of that.

As for the oil changing intervals, do a search and you'll find lots of discussions here about it. I personally use the OLM as a guideline as I don't think it's all that accurate, I just go around every 5000KM with Mobil 1. In any event just follow one of them and you'll be fine like jnak said.

Welcome btw.

Comment

Everyone has the oil covered so WELCOME!
              2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
              Gotta have it Green color
              Brembo brake package
              420 HP 5.0L
              Ford Racing Power Pack
              GT500 track pack differential cover
              BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

Use the filter claw, kind of like a pliers for oil filters!

WELCOME!
                Mine - 2006 Black Grand Prix GXP

Comment

I have one of the "socket" type wrenches that you just put on a ratchet with an extension and it works great! I bought mine from Napa I believe.
                  TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

i use this one everyday at work and i rarely find a filter that i can't get to come off with it.

Comment

here's my take on the oil life monitor.

first, it doesn't take into account whether you're using synthetic or not. so even if you pour synthetic, it won't give you a longer change interval.

second, if you go by the OLM for your changes, and something happens to the engine, then GM has no reason to deny coverage for repairs. the tell you to follow the OLM for your change intervals.

my dad's oil in his 05 has been changed only when the OLM indicated to do so, and he's had no problems. my mom's 01 grand prix has a primitive version of the OLM, but it turns on a light in the dash when it's time for a change. they go by that, and they haven't had any problems in 6 years. i think you're safe trusting it.
                      2009 PONTIAC G8
                      MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

^ yea I'm gonna start going by the DIC now. because I don't drive anywhere near 3000 miles in 3 months. I last changed my oil on December 14, and my oil life reading says something like 35%.
                        -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

welcome

if the 3.5 takes pf47 then they are different than the pf61 the 3.9 takes

guess we got the easy install with filter underneath car and easy to get to and off

Comment

Hmmmm.. I've never used a filter wrench before.. try to get them off with your bare hands first. If they doesn't work, use a towel or something to try and get a better grip.

sigpic
                            Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

^well I think the majority of people overtighten them like you wouldn't believe
                              TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Working...
                              X