Door inserts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door inserts

I wanted everyone to know that there is an semi easy fix fo rcustom door inserts. I wasn't satisfied with my door panels with the same textured finish, so I decided to make door inserts. I was going for a more BMW look inside so I went with black ostrich but you can use anything you want.

What you need to do is go to Home depot and get some clear acrylic 1/8" or thinner. Peal off the blue protective sheet and hold it up against the door panel of your choice. Use a sharpy to rough-in the outline of the insert shape and start cutting. You will need to go back and forth with this until it fits perfect (I average 30 minutes per door).

Once you get the shape, take your vinyl material and flp in over to the "bad" side lay your acrylic insert on top make sure it is flipped over so the side that touches the door faces out. Cut the material about 1/2" wider that the insert. Now flip the insert over and spray it with 3m super 77, as well as the "bad" side of the fabric. Let it dry for a few minutes and then attach the two. You will need to spray the acrylic that touches the door, let it dry and then wrap the edges.

Next, buy some denatured alcohol, and degrossed and prep the doors for the double stick tape. I had a problem getting the tape to stick, so clean the doors several times. Next get soem 3m grey double stick tape from home depot. It is the industrial stuff used for Very High Bonds. Put a bunch on and press hard.

Wa-la intant custom door panels.

I would rate this a 6 out of 10 interms of difficulty.

I'll post some images later this week.

lol WELCOME!

Cool, i cant wait to see the pics. Something different!
    2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS T/C
    Black/Black coupe

Comment

yes welcome, I can't wait to see the pics also!!
      TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Welcome! Sounds pretty cool...get those pics ASAP!

Comment

Door insert Panels as promised

Here you go

enjoy

Chris[/img]

Comment

those look pretty good ... good work. Ostrich skin ?
            sigpic

Comment

Faux ostrich

Comment

Good work!
                Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

looks alright, not my bag though.
                  2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS T/C
                  Black/Black coupe

Comment

Nicely done! I'm not a big fan of the material you used, but it looks like you did a pretty good job putting it together.

Comment

yeah good job on everything!!
                      TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

those look interesting. props to you!
                        -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

I like it, I would like it more if it was real ostrich leather

Nice work, seriously.

My Progression Page: click here

Comment

Way to be original!
                            Mine - 2006 Black Grand Prix GXP

Comment

looks good. Was talking with wife about doing the area above your insert with microfiber so it does not burn during summer. My rover has seude but it isa bitch to keep clean.
                              How do I set a laser printer to stun?

Comment

Working...
                              X