Brakes and when to change them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes and when to change them

I was wondering if anyone has had to change the brakes on there G6. I have 27,000 on mine and have not heard that warning yet that they are low, just wondering about how many miles are the brakes good for. I looked for other posts on this but have not seen any for this. :P

I'm not sure, I'm a little over 16,500 and they squeal like you wouldn't believe when it's warm out. I can see the outside pads and they are still really thick but usually the inside ones wear just a tiny bit more. I was thinking about taking my tires off and checking them out but.........ehh that's a lot of work.
    TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

When you rotate the tires just either check them yourself, or get whoever is doing it check the wear bars. You should still be good, but that's what checking it is for I guess.

Comment

I am at (almost) 38,000 and i dont need to change mine yet.
        06 GT Memphis 6x9's in rear Diamond componet up front Diamond 12" subs Alpine/Rockford Fosgate amps
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2492567
        http://www.myspace.com/the_great_m

Comment

^good lord
          TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

it depends on your setup and how you drive. mileage does not determine brake replacement, brake wear determines brake replacement.

i have a manual tranny so i use my brakes much less in my G6 than i ever did in my previous automatic vehicles. just follow the minimum discard and machining specs allowed by the manufacturer and you will be fine.

Comment

oh yeah I drive the hell outta my car and I'm constantly slamming on the brakes when I get cut off or whatever else with all the shitty drivers out here.

Comment

See, i drive 20 mile to work and its 99.9% highway. That .1% in pulling into my parking spot and my driveway. I leave my house at 5 am, and since i live in ohio where the traffic is very light at that times i am driving, i dont need to worry about having to slam on my breaks.
                06 GT Memphis 6x9's in rear Diamond componet up front Diamond 12" subs Alpine/Rockford Fosgate amps
                http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2492567
                http://www.myspace.com/the_great_m

Comment

If you drive civilized brake pads/rotors should get you close to 50,000 miles.
                  -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

i drive under 4 miles to work through about 10 stop lights at a busy time of night so i use mine quite a bit but i am never on them very hard. i am hoping they will last a long time.

Comment

I have or 44k miles on my stock brakes. Granted, most of my miles are intersate.
                      G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
                      Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
                      Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
                      20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

38 grand here and mine shake when stopping hard.
                        No it is not the AntiLock!

Its only noticable when you have more weight in the car (family).

Im gonna swap mine out this week. or maybe next seeing as I have
                        to drive her to Goatfest this next weekend!
                        Please consider supporting G6P -Tap here

MODS:
                        Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
                        WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

Comment

Mine shake a little when braking at interstate speeds. I never notice them when I'm around town.
                          G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
                          Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
                          Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
                          20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

Your pads should have a warning tab. Your brakes should make a high pitch sequel when the tab starts to hit the rotor, You have 3-7 days left after that. Also don't try and push in the rears calipers with your c-clamp, a special tool is needed to screw them in.
                            "Drive Fast, Take Chances"

Comment

Originally posted by Re Di Velocità
                              Your pads should have a warning tab. Your brakes should make a high pitch sequel when the tab starts to hit the rotor, You have 3-7 days left after that. Also don't try and push in the rears calipers with your c-clamp, a special tool is needed to screw them in.
                              Does anyone know if our cars have brake pad sensors? It might tell you in the DIC if you need to change the brake pads.
                              -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Working...
                              X