Eyelids for around $10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eyelids for around $10

I have been contemplating doing eyelids on my G6 for a month or more, and I finally decided to make some.

First you're going to need to get the proper supplies:

Boxcutter = $1.99
    Pinstripe = $3.99
    Scrap Black Vynil = $1.00
    Scrap Vynil in the color of your car = $1.00

As you can see, it'll be a little over $8.00 after tax.

First I started out by cleaning the headlights with windex, and let them dry for a few minutes. Then I tore off a piece of pinstripe that would be long enough to lay down the design I wanted. I laid down 2 different designs originally, one on each headlight, and spent time deciding which I liked best. Then I tore off the one I didn't like and duplicated that line on the other headlight.

After that I cut an appropriately sized piece of the black vynil and laid it smoothly over most of the headlight, trying to avoid bubbling.

(Note: You want to use black underneath the color coded pieces so that the light does not shine through the vynil. Black is the most "light-fast" of all the colors.)

After the vynil was laid I trimmed it to the size I predetermined with the pinstripe, and removed the excess.

All of this is fairly easy and took about 30 minutes up to this point.

Here's a frontal view:

After this step you just add the color coded vynil on top of the black. Before you lay the color coded down, it is recommended that you use soapy water over the black vynil so that you do not pull the black vynil up after all that work.

For those of you with a Liquid Silver Metallic G6 use either Avery Vynil colors: Silver Grey, or Silver Metallic. Silver Metallic is prefered, but harder to find.

3.5L, 17"'s;Intake;Coated battery tray engine cover and exhaust shield;Nokya Highs Lows Fogs;Red Interior Lights and trunk;Red Neons;Shaved trunk emblems and filled front emblem;CF Door Pillars and handles;CF shift knob, dash, guages, and door kit;CF speakers; XM;GTP Fascia and Dual exhaust.

Looks pretty good. You should have matched the car with silver lids.
    -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Originally posted by GTPGuy82
      Looks pretty good. You should have matched the car with silver lids.
      Mine - 2006 Black Grand Prix GXP

Comment

x3 haha.. I was thinking of doing the same thing, but I'm going to wait till the weather gets warmer here and use the red I did for my sticker on the back window because it matched pretty well! But the general idea looks pretty good man!!
        Originally posted by Toyz
        Originally posted by simplyred
        what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
        As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

I am going to match the lids to the car. I only have Silver Grey right now, and I'm trying to track down some scraps of Silver metallic. With it being president's day weekend I'll have to wait a while since I work 7 days straight from tuesday on.

Give it time. I'd rather do it right than do it twice!
          3.5L, 17"'s;Intake;Coated battery tray engine cover and exhaust shield;Nokya Highs Lows Fogs;Red Interior Lights and trunk;Red Neons;Shaved trunk emblems and filled front emblem;CF Door Pillars and handles;CF shift knob, dash, guages, and door kit;CF speakers; XM;GTP Fascia and Dual exhaust.

Comment

I was gonna say, he is matching them to his car-stated up top. Anyways looks good, looks really good. Where do you think I could find something to match granite metallic?
            TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Lojac93> I've been thinking about that already. obviously red black and silver can be easy colors to duplicate. The granite will have to be compared to a color chart. One thing I can suggest to you is to go to the Metro Center Mall. There there is a liscense plate store near one of the exits. They do vinyl racing decals and all that stuff. They have a coor chart for vinyl that they let me take to my car to compare colors. See if you can do the same thing.

Then I go buy my scraps from a place near 32nd St. & Bell Rd. They usually sell me scraps for a buck. If you can't get scraps, then just buy footage for a bit more. I can always help you on it too.

Comment

Yeah, if you find an exact match for the granite, please let me know the manufacturer & color as well.
                2006 G6 GTP Coupe
                :: Doctor Speed Turbo Kit ::
                :: Decals by RK Vinyl :: <-- Check out the newly redesigned store!!
                :: GT-R Exhaust ::

Comment

what about buying two large sheets of vinyl, covering the entire lense on both housings then use a drafting template to cut out a large and smaller circle for the lights-they'd be like light covers but vinly and without the stupid bumps the other ones have.
                  TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

thats something I would love to see done on in the inner housing of the lense as to keep the shiny plastic cover of the assembly!

Comment

SOB, now see you go and take my idea and make is 100 times better-now I can't do it that way cause it'd look like crap........

Comment

Sorry man... it was just a thought... would be hard as hell to complet tho I think, getting the holes to match up.. I wouldnt want to attempt it haha!

Comment

well if you had a set of drafters templates it would be faily easy, however I don't have any or know anyone who does.

Comment

Me either.... Well theres always just a rainy day and some paper to make your own template haha!

Comment

Working...
                            X