GTP Tires????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTP Tires????

I'm having a conflict with purchasing new tires. I bought the GTP with the 'Summer Only Performance' tires (Potenza 18"). It's time to replace them, and I'm getting different stories on which tires I can and can't put on the GTP. I've been told the sidewall rating for the Potenza tires is what I have to have since the GTP has a different suspension, blah blah... I need an 'All Weather' tire, since the performance ones don't last long enough. Anyone know what kind of tire I'm SUPPOSED to get???

damn, i just bought these, i should know this, ok, good year eagle ls2, thats what the reg stock tire is, its 225/50-18
    Originally posted by TLS2000
    They cleaned my thing out
    g6p memer 22

rip pbm 04 gto 7/7/09

1999 chevy s 10 xtreme
    2007 honda vtx1300

Comment

Technically they shouldn't install anything other than a z-rated tire unless they're going to reprogram your computer to lower the speed limiter. This is for liability reasons.

With my last car, which had v-rated tires, they wouldn't let me get h-rated even though there was no way I was going to be driving over 100mph.

sigpic
      Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

That seems to be pretty much what they are telling me. They suggested the Goodyear LS2 tire, but then when I called the tire people I use here, I was given a big lecture on how the sidewall rating was too low on that tire - and they said the only other option was BF Goodrich KDWS 235/50/18. They run me pretty much the same price as the Potenza's, but they are supposed to be an 'all weather' tire... I'm confused...

Obviously - the LS2's are cheaper... Have you seen any kind of difference Keith87? I'm not going to be running over 100 either, but I hate to think something might happen if I get the LS2's.

I just HAD to have the GTP, didn't I....

Comment

Nothing will happen with the LS2s as long as you don't exceed their speed rating (115 mph I think).

Keep in mind the LS2 is a piece of shit tire though.

Comment

I'd just ignore all the crap about the sidewall rating, yeah it's for liability reasons but I'm not going to let people tell me which tires I can or can't put on there. I'd go with the LS2 if you want something cheap, but they aren't the best tire out there. They are like average at best all around, the KDWS is a really nice tire and if you are willing to pay that then I would def go with those.

Comment

LS2's are NOT cheap.

Go for a slightly wider tire and you will find many tire options have opened up to you.

sigpic
              Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

I can find them for less than $100 a tire Cdn. That's cheap if you ask me.

I guess it just depends on what you would consider to be either.

Comment

Originally posted by jnak
                  Nothing will happen with the LS2s as long as you don't exceed their speed rating (115 mph I think).

Keep in mind the LS2 is a piece of shit tire though.
                  i upgraded 2 the lgtp wheels, and i bought the ls2's, and i have to say they make the base 06 alloy tires look like crap, no probs here
                  They cleaned my thing out
                  g6p memer 22

rip pbm 04 gto 7/7/09

1999 chevy s 10 xtreme
                  2007 honda vtx1300

Comment

Originally posted by Interfire

Where? The cheapest I've seen the LS2's for is about $250.

sigpic

Comment

My suggestion is to use the Website TireRack.com it is preprogramed to know and allow only the right tires for your Rig.
                      (http://www.tirerack.com)
                      Here we......GO! 06 G6 GTP M6 coupe, performance package.(Fully loaded for 06). stealth gray metallic or 59U - GRANITE METALLIC. GM Peformance strut bar, Hammer Head Spoiler, GM Body Kit, Chrome Lower Grille Inserts, MSD Dash Hawk, Head Light Eye Lids, HID Conversion-10,000K. ZEX Nitrous Kit 75 Shot-Wet. (New Add On!)

If I had something smart to say, I would be smart enough not too!

Comment

Originally posted by BIG ISH
                        My suggestion is to use the Website TireRack.com it is preprogramed to know and allow only the right tires for your Rig.
                        you mean like how they let me search for tires with a speed rating of 93mph for my vehicle that is governed well above that?

i'm with Troy...put on whatever tire you want to. if you aren't going to be going above 115mph than just get an S or T rated tire. no need to spend extra cash on tires you aren't going to utilize.

LS2 are $91USD each on tirerack.com....that is cheap. not that i would ever buy from tirerack but they are a decent site to do research and comparisons on.

Comment

If I remember right - the guy at the tire place said the LS2's were about $115 ea (mounted, balanced, etc.). The GDWS' are roughly $195 ea (mounted & balanced). The dealer wanted closer to $900 for the Potenza's... I guess I'm going to get the GDWS' - I like them better... I think the thought of being able to run over 115 if I want to - is very appealing... :smoke:

Comment

Originally posted by bristol16
                            Originally posted by BIG ISH
                            you mean like how they let me search for tires with a speed rating of 93mph for my vehicle that is governed well above that?

i'm with Troy...put on whatever tire you want to. if you aren't going to be going above 115mph than just get an S or T rated tire. no need to spend extra cash on tires you aren't going to utilize.

LS2 are $91USD each on tirerack.com....that is cheap. not that i would ever buy from tirerack but they are a decent site to do research and comparisons on.
                            Yup, $91USD each, plus the $400 in shipping charges, and the $200 brokerage fee that UPS will charge me.

That said, there is no where around here that will give me LS2's for a decent price, not that I'd ever put them on my car again.

Nikki, if the GDW's are your preferance, then go for them. Keep in mind that the Potenzas are going to be much cheaper elsewhere.

sigpic

Comment

When I had to get two tires on my work truck a few weeks ago from blowing them getting stuck 10 times an hour in ice..... anyway I was quoted when asked 110 dollars for an LS2 inststalled with the 99% nitrogen system not air. Then telling him how horrible the traction is but want to stay all-seasons with performance so dont spin so much, he recomended to me the Toyo Proxy4. He quoted me 192 a tire installed also with the nitrogen system. Not bad too bad I dont think, atlongest its under 200 USD installed I can live with that.

But he told me the LS2 is supose to be rated at 40-50K mile tire VS the Proxy4s are only a 20-25K tire I belive he told me
                              2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
                              Gotta have it Green color
                              Brembo brake package
                              420 HP 5.0L
                              Ford Racing Power Pack
                              GT500 track pack differential cover
                              BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

Working...
                              X