cleaning calipers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cleaning calipers

hey I finally finished ainting my rear calipers, and now I want to put on more coat on the front to touch up some ugly spots. Anybody know of a good paint friendly cleaner i can use before I paint them. The caliper cleaner duplicolor provides says not to use on paint.
    BCG Member #1::G6er Elite

Brake Parts cleaner should work without leaving a residue or stripping any well adhered paint. If the paint is not well adhered, you don't wantit anyway.

LB
    How do I set a laser printer to stun?

Comment

I don't know if brake cleaner would strip the paint or not. I've had mine painted for about a year and the front calipers have chips here and there on them but it's not bad enough to go through the hassle of another coat. I'd say just used some clean water and scrub them down really really well and use a compressor to blow them dry-thats what I've always done
      TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

I wouldn't use brake cleaner either, just soap and water and then rubbing alcohol to clean the rest. Then it's good to go.

Comment

Dish washing detergent and water should be fine because it is a mild degreaser). I don't even think you'll need the alcohol.
          Ryan Romero

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2439593/1

Comment

I think he might have said alcohol because it's a good water repellant however just blow them dry with a compressor if you have them
            TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

I said that because sometimes you won't wash all of the soap off, there will always be some residue most of the time. The rubbing alcohol or similar cleaner will assure everything is clean.

Comment

^agree

Comment

DONT use break cleaner, I did after I painted a caliper to see what it will do and it eats the paint. I just use plain water and wipe them that way, not even soap and havent had a problem yet and they stay clean that way
                  2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
                  Gotta have it Green color
                  Brembo brake package
                  420 HP 5.0L
                  Ford Racing Power Pack
                  GT500 track pack differential cover
                  BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

Originally posted by dre256
                    DONT use break cleaner, I did after I painted a caliper to see what it will do and it eats the paint. I just use plain water and wipe them that way, not even soap and havent had a problem yet and they stay clean that way
                    Did you get them clean enough to paint with just water though? Otherwise Ill probably use detergent and alcohol.
                    BCG Member #1::G6er Elite

Comment

Yeah you don't use the cleaner on painted stuff, only to clean it before painting.

Comment

Originally posted by rpromero
                        Dish washing detergent and water should be fine because it is a mild degreaser). I don't even think you'll need the alcohol.
                        sure youll need the alcohol. just in beer form
                        -Lucy-
                        2006 Silver Gt Coupe
                        3.5 l v6, alloy 17"s
                        sun and sound package, leather package.

Cardomain Site:
                        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2663987

Comment

Originally posted by reubenk
                          Did you get them clean enough to paint with just water though? Otherwise Ill probably use detergent and alcohol.
                          For preping before painting I did use break cleaner and preped them that way. But after you paint them to keep them clean just use plain water and a rag I recomend.
                          2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
                          Gotta have it Green color
                          Brembo brake package
                          420 HP 5.0L
                          Ford Racing Power Pack
                          GT500 track pack differential cover
                          BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

Working...
                          X